New Target Commercial Features ABM

I've been thinking about how the way they used ABM in that commercial shows just how incredibly well-known it's become. The joke is made funnier precisely because everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) knows the song. That allows them to cut out before Eric even sings the word "myself."

Bernie

"All By Myself" has become almost more popular than Eric himself! Of course not everyone connects the song with him, especially after Celine's quite successful cover. On Wikipedia, the ABM article consistently has close to as many hits as Eric's article does, sometimes even more. So it has almost taken on a life all of its own.

Bernie's SOOO right.

The whole world not only knows the song but recognizes it's context...that of a tortured lonely man (or woman)...which makes premises like longing for chips...screwing up as a robot on a GM assembly line...using a deodorant that failed...or having to sit roadside 'cause you drive an undependable car...instantly laughable.