Natalie Wood

darlene

Guest Fresh

It is rumored "Hey Deanie" was named after the character Natalie Wood portrayed in "Splendor in the Grass".

PS I hear East Coast Frozen Custard in Cleveland has the best soft ice cream.

Guest Fresh

Yes, John. My wife and I watched it last night. Fortunately, here in NJ, we have the original Kohr's frozen custard!

PS Happy Fathers Day John.

Thanks for the info, Darlene. I've often referred to the fact that Natalie Wood is my all-time favorite actress from the past.

To me, she was the epitome of class, elegance, and true beauty. I'm so looking forward to watching some of her great movies!

Natalie is also credited with my favorite movie line of all-time, from "Splendor In The Grass":

"Though nothing can bring back the hour

Of splendor in the grass, of glory in the flower;

We will grieve not, rather find

Strength in what remains behind..."

They have been playing Natalie Wood movies this month, i know. Tomorrow night "West side story" and 'Gypsy" and the aformentioned "Love with the proper stranger" are all on. Also some lesser know "sex and the single girl" and "Cash McCall." Great pics Elle! Cathlyn

Tomorrow night "West side story"

Thanks for the heads up. Cathlyn!

I adore musicals and this is one of my favorite. "Somewhere" gets me every time. And I've always loved "Tonight" and "I Feel Pretty."

I'm not a big follower of Natalie Wood's, but I did enjoy her as Maria in Westside Story. Though her voice was dubbed by Marni Nixon, she sang the songs during filming. From an interview with Marni Nixon, Natalie Wood was "furious" when she found out she was being dubbed. It seems like Marni and she thought that Marni was only covering Natalie's high notes.

Here is an example of both Marni and Natalie singing. Yes, you can find anything on YouTube. I found this last year.

Guest Fresh

I was disappointed but not surprised that Natalie's mother refused her medical attention for the injury because she feared it would interfere with the movie's shooting schedule. And we wonder why these child stars mostly are dysfunctional as adults. arrgh

Thanks for the link, Bernie! As a Natalie buff, I read the story some time ago. After I read it, I searched through many of her photos, and sure enough, there was the ever present bracelet appearing in photos where her left wrist was exposed.

You know, whether or not Natalie Wood is considered one of the best actresses of our time, to me, every time she appeared on the screen, she was so beautifully captivating, I could never take my eyes off of her.

This post is for Eric. Turner Classic Movies is celebrating Natalie Wood every Monday evening in July by running her movies. Check your local listings. It's going be superb! I can't wait!

:)--D

I wasn't aware EC was a big Natalie Wood fan. Must have been a real bummer losing John Lennon and Natalie in less than a year.

The first time I ever heard the name Marni Nixon was when I was a senior in high school. We were listening to computer synthesized music, such as Edgar Varese's and a computer-generated synthetic "human" voice singing "Flow Gently, Sweet Afton." For comparison, the teacher offered Marni Nixon singing Hector Villa-Lobos' "Baccheanus Brazilieras #5" and I was absolutely struck by the beauty of her voice. It's truly amazing how many times Marni Nixon's voice was substituted for those of huge stars. What a career she has had! She was blessed with an extraordinarily out-of-this-world beautiful voice and was arguably the most in-demand voice ever!

:)--Darlene