David Prater Claims To Have Produced "Hungry Eyes"

raspathens said:

Is the final incarnation of the song that was presented to Eric out there, somewhere? Did Frankie indicate that he still had it or say why he was releasing the 1991 version as the "original demo"?

I have the original master multi-track upstairs and am actively looking for it. For reasons I cannot imagine, Frankie wants everyone to believe his 1991 version is the original.

Eric Carmen said:

Lest anyone be deceived, this is NOT the original demo of "Hungry Eyes". This is a re-recording that borrows heavily from the arrangement on the record. Perhaps the writer of the article got it wrong, but, with all due respect to Frankie and John, there are things on this "demo" that were created in my studio, not the least of which is the entire "bridge section" ( where the sax solo is on my recording, the d minor section, which I created to break up the choruses). Additionally, all the guitar lines that Daris Adkins and I painstakingly worked out are suddenly part of the "original demo."

I'm all for a record that raises funds for cancer research, and pays tribute to the late Patrick Swayze, but this is a lot of hooey. Maybe the original demos were edited and then they overdubbed all sorts of new guitars and stuff. I also don't remember Frankie's voice sounding anything like this on the "original.'

It was much sweeter. This sounds like Frankie copying my performance, right down to the ad libs.

By passing this off as "the original demo", it gives people the impression that I copied Frankie's vocal performance and arrangement. Much as I like Frankie, that just "ain't so."

Why not just call the record a re-recording, by the song's writers to raise money for cancer research? Nothing wrong with that!

Thought I'd post this here in case David missed it in another thread. This was Eric's reaction to hearing the newly released "original demo" of "Hungry Eyes."

Bernie

WendyWorld said:

I was just on San Antonio for a class reunion. I like TX because it has a lot of beautiful memories for me and I love the people. :)

Wendy,

Believe me...you're in the majority of people here and elsewhere with your "Texas" recollections.

Lest anyone be deceived, this is NOT the original demo of "Hungry Eyes". This is a re-recording that borrows heavily from the arrangement on the record. Perhaps the writer of the article got it wrong, but, with all due respect to Frankie and John, there are things on this "demo" that were created in my studio, not the least of which is the entire "bridge section" ( where the sax solo is on my recording, the d minor section, which I created to break up the choruses). Additionally, all the guitar lines that Daris Adkins and I painstakingly worked out are suddenly part of the "original demo."

I'm all for a record that raises funds for cancer research, and pays tribute to the late Patrick Swayze, but this is a lot of hooey. Maybe the original demos were edited and then they overdubbed all sorts of new guitars and stuff. I also don't remember Frankie's voice sounding anything like this on the "original.'

It was much sweeter. This sounds like Frankie copying my performance, right down to the ad libs.

By passing this off as "the original demo", it gives people the impression that I copied Frankie's vocal performance and arrangement. Much as I like Frankie, that just "ain't so."

Why not just call the record a re-recording, by the song's writers to raise money for cancer research? Nothing wrong with that!

e

If I'm reading this right, I totally agree with Eric. The version Frankie is putting out is bogus and I'm not buying it being the original for one minute.

Also, Eric is correct about the vocal he heard Frankie sing on the demo I did. Frankie committed to a much sweeter approach. The song was in a much more "moody" vein. As a version to be used just for getting the idea across it did the job fine. I'll see if I can go upstairs in a few and find it the original.

For what it's worth, the part about this being a 501c-3 dedicated to cancer research? Hmmm...that's not the Frankie I know. This has become very convoluted with respect to what the core intention is. This sounds like a bait and switch if I ever heard one. Once the non-profit connection is established, it protects him from any criticism because it makes the critic look like a sore loser or bad sport. Man...this whole thing stinks.

raspathens said:

Is the final incarnation of the song that was presented to Eric out there, somewhere? Did Frankie indicate that he still had it or say why he was releasing the 1991 version as the "original demo"?

For those of you interested I found the original mix that Eric heard when he was recording his version in late 1987, early 1988. It's fascinating to listen to in retrospect.

I also found the master to the song, "A Darker Side Of Love", that "Hungry Eyes" was based on.

I'll see if there's a way that everyone can hear both versions it if you like.

Cheers

Brian, I knew that was you!! I don't know why you still have a problem with us being "co-producers" after all of these years. I recall that we were both very young, very talented and very precocious!!! Ahhhh...too bad we had nowhere to go from there!! :lol::lol::lol:

raspathens said:

Thanks David - those versions would be interesting to hear!

Hello everyone,

I just sent an e-mail to Bernie with the "new original" original 1985 "Hungry Eyes". The mix I sent is from a waterlogged cassette I retrieved from my old 1977 Ford E-150 van around 1990. For the last 20 years it's been in various boxes with hundreds of other 4-track song ideas and demos. Between 1985 and 1990 I'm afraid it was probably underwater somewhere unfortunately.

The audio quality is somewhat dodgy at times with dropouts and distortion, however, if you listen like Eric had to you're only concerned with the lyric, melody, key, arrangement, rhythm section, etc. All of those ingredients are pretty much there to be extracted and tailored to an artist's taste. I for one especially like the dreamy ahhhhhhssss in this version's b-sections of the song's verses. It kinda reminds me of 10 C.C. circa "I'm Not In Love".

In the final analysis, Eric does a great job of cleaning up the sections that he felt were problematic and singing the melodies in a way that sounds like "Eric Carmen".

I did find the first version ("A Darker Side Of Love") with the girl singing but I have to locate a working Tascam 244 porta-studio in order to play it back. That will take some effort on my part I'm afraid. If I can find one you can rest assured I will gladly make it available to everyone.

For the time being, be on the lookout for the version I sent to Bernie. I imagine he'll have it up somewhere in a day or two.

Cheers,

David Prater

p.s.-Please forgive me for the horrendous application of the grainy-sounding digital reverb on the original 1985 drum bounce, okay? I had just purchased my 1st digital reverb (MXR 01/a 12-bit) and unfortunately it shows.

Raspbernie said:

Eric, one big lyric change that certainly makes a difference to the song is the change from "with those" to "with these." Was that your change? Or had the lyric been changed by the time you got it?

Way to go Bernie! Great ears! These are the things that as a producer and songwriter we struggle with constantly.

That had to be Eric all the way. It sings better, reads better and is better. It was never changed during my commission. The original changed "tense" improperly. It always seemed awkward to me but we were moving so fast it just got thrown under the bus like a lot of other things at the time.

Cheers,

Prater

Thanks, David and Bernie, for going to the trouble to provide us with the opportunity to listen to the original demo. It's amazing how the change of one little word can impact a song in such a positive way, providing for a much more natural flow to the song.

I'd say the end result speaks for itself:

• 2 weeks later...

OMG, i just got goosebumps hearing the beginning of the song!!!! :D:D:D Is that Eric singing? It kinda doesn't sound like him, but if it is him, his voice sounds like an angel, OMG!!!!!! I want this song!!!! :heartpump::heartpump::heartpump: I'm not being sarcastic either, LOL!!!! I luv it!!!! :wub: But i'm also going crazy rite now!!!!! :blink::blink::blink:

:heartpump::heartpump::heartpump::heartpump::heartpump:

If that's not Eric singing, i'm gonna be really sad, LOL!!!!! Or possibly dissapointed and mad! :D

Awww, now i really am dissapointed and sad! :( I really thought that was Eric singing, i had no idea that it was Frank Previte. He's got a great voice though, i luv the demo! :)

I got all excited 4 nothin', LOL!!! And possibly a little crazy! :D

I was wondering who the girl was that they used in the Hungry Eyes video. She looks familiar. :)

• 1 month later...

Razzberry,

You needn't feel embarrassed. When expressing yourself everything is in play and all is fair.

I'm glad you enjoyed my work with Frank Previte and John DeNicola. I spent a lot of time (way too much!) producing the version you have been listening to.

I don't care what publishers say. A solid sounding track, a compelling lead vocal, and an imaginative arrangement is so much easier to absorb than having to suffer through listening to a lousy acoustic guitar version recorded through a microcassette recorder with built in microphones that are clipping throughout the entire performance.

In closing, I agree with you. All things considered I think I nailed it on the version you've been listening too.

Cheers,

David Prater