Susanna Hoffs: "Different Drum"

phil

No offense guys (and gal), I always liked Susanna Hoffs (a lot!) and I don't think I've ever disagreed with a word that LC has ever written here....but I've always hated that song...don't know why. I always liked Linda Ronstadt (a lot!) but I hated "Different Drum", "Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me" and "Silver Thread and Golden Needles"...love her other stuff but hate those three. I know many here like (love) those songs so I'll take the abuse...just my opinion...

I hadn't heard this, but it's really good.

So often remakes add nothing to a song and are really a waste of time.

But she Bangled this (already real good) tune up....and it works!!..

I agree that many times remakes add nothing to a song. They should at least be a different interpretation of the original for me to take notice. This recording does nothing new. It is a xerox copy of Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Pony's original, right down to the bass lines being played by the cello. I was in a top 40 band for many years and we played this song to death.We did a spot-on cover of the record(because that is what the audiences in Jersey Shore clubs and bars wanted to hear), so I am very familiar with the arrangement...this is a xerox copy...no originality at all, just a nasally vocal.Hey guys, just my opinion! crazy

• 14 years later...
On 11/21/2009 at 4:05 AM, Duane said:

No offense guys (and gal), I always liked Susanna Hoffs (a lot!) and I don't think I've ever disagreed with a word that LC has ever written here....but I've always hated that song...don't know why. I always liked Linda Ronstadt (a lot!) but I hated "Different Drum", "Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me" and "Silver Thread and Golden Needles"...love her other stuff but hate those three. I know many here like (love) those songs so I'll take the abuse...just my opinion...

Duane, wherever you are, old friend: All I can say is "Different Drum," to me, is one of the Top 20 pop songs of all time. It's just a brilliantly constructed piece — a credit to Mike Nesmith's songwriting ability. And Linda Ronstadt's original is an unbeatable blast of vocal perfection. Susanna puts her own sensual take on it, so I love this cover. But Linda's original... cream of the crop.

(It took me 15 years to come up with that response? Lol)

• Like 1

I like Susanna Hoffs a lot, but her voice just sounds too thin to my ear after the power and depth of LR's voice on the Stone Poneys' version which also features my favorite instruments in the Baroque harpsichord and string arrangement.

The song is a Nesmith masterpiece.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, susie b said:

I like Susanna Hoffs a lot, but her voice just sounds too thin to my ear after the power and depth of LR's voice on the Stone Poneys' version which also features my favorite instruments in the Baroque harpsichord and string arrangement.

The song is a Nesmith masterpiece.

No one compares!

10 hours ago, susie b said:

Bump...

I think LC intended to move this post from the Old Forum, so I assisted.

😊

Oh, my — I did! Thank you for picking that up, Susie! You're a great teammate. 

52 minutes ago, Matthew C. Clark said:

The late Mike Nesmith (WITHOUT the Glen Glenn Sound laugh track) (remastered): 

Good find, Matthew. I don't think I ever saw that turbo-version of Mike's "Different Drum." Or, if I did, I was a little kid who didn't know what a great song it was (Linda's version wouldn't have come out yet). 

Also, Ooch, love "Joanne." One of my favorites (and featured on at least a couple of my playlists). It deserves a thread of its own....

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Matthew C. Clark said:

The late Mike Nesmith (WITHOUT the Glen Glenn Sound laugh track) (remastered): 

The emcee in that clip is Ted DeCorsia, who played in hundreds of tv shows and dozens of movies in the 40's, 50's and 60's. Generally he played a gravely-voiced tough guy. 

• Like 3