The Black Squirrel

Raspbernie

So, it turns out that Eric Carmen: Marathon Man may NOT have been the definitive biography after all. One amazing story, remains untold. Until now:

The year was 1970. Eric was not satisfied with the limited success of both Cyrus Erie and The Quick. Jim Bonfanti had similar misgivings about The Choir. Both men got together and started planning a new band that they hoped would exceed their expectations.

The two men sat alone together and sweated over all of the details that would very soon become Raspberries—just the two of them—or so we thought! For, there was another present in that room. Watching their every move.

The BLACK SQUIRREL

It seems that Jim, an avid hunter, had ventured out many a hunting trip in search of the infamous BLACK SQUIRREL! One day, he bagged his prey, and that BLACK SQUIRREL was there the day Raspberries was born.

Eric was astonished to discover that said same BLACK SQUIRREL was still in Jim's possession. So one day not too long ago, somewhere very near where the power pop sound was born, the reunion took place and Eric came face-to-face once again with the BLACK SQUIRREL!

Only moments later, the stuffed critter was returned to the basement, where he waits. Perhaps, one day if Raspberries are ever enshrined in Cleveland's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the BLACK SQUIRREL will stand proudly on display…a silent witness to history!

• Like 1

Uh, Bernie...that squirrel doesn't look black! Long ago...around 1970, only Kent, Ohio had the largest population of black squirrels in Ohio. Now, they're all over the place! The one in the pic looks like a common brown squirrel.

How come this story wasn't in "Marathon Man"???

It must be your computer Brian - It certainly looks Black to me. Who the heck would take a common Brown squirrel to the taxidermist?

Cool picture, and cool story!

Tim

Around 1985 I was in the Rochester/Niagara Falls area of New York state and there were black squirrels all over the parks. I was really amazed by this, because in my sheltered New Jersey existence, I had only seen gray squirrels. But these squirrels were black, not dark brown. The locals thought nothing of it.

Good eye, Brian. I did a little color correction on the image after you mentioned the squirrel looking a bit brownish. I just took a touch of warmth out. I didn't want Jim bellyaching over any controversy surrounding his "prized catch!" I mean, the last time I saw a black squirrel was...well, actually, I never saw a black squirrel!

haha

• Like 1

Actually, I think there was a deer head (You must have really hated that moose!) hanging on the wall (it was in Jim and Barb's first apartment). I'm not sure the "black squirrel" had been bagged yet. He might have been an illusive gleam in Jim's eye, back then. Jim will have to clarify, as I remember the "hunt for the black squirrel"( Jim used to speak about him in hushed, almost religious tones) but not the "day of infamy" and/or taxidermy. On second thought, the squirrel may have been there, perched, nut in mouth, on top of Jim's television set, witness to many a late night discussion, with the always helpful Barb offering encouragement, and a cup of tea.