Michael Vick: Reality TV Star?

Paulie Mississippi

So apparently we've come to a point in this society where a man can commit unspeakable cruelties to innocent animals and our response is, not to treat him like the inhumane filth that he is, but instead welcome him back with open arms and reward him with lucrative contracts. If there were ever a candidate for retroactive abortion, this guy is it.

Folks, it's time to chlorinate the gene pool!

So apparently we've come to a point in this society where a man can commit unspeakable cruelties to innocent animals and our response is, not to treat him like the inhumane filth that he is, but instead welcome him back with open arms and reward him with lucrative contracts. If there were ever a candidate for retroactive abortion, this guy is it.

Folks, it's time to chlorinate the gene pool!

GOOD ONE RICH...couldn't have said it better

Though I doubt I'll be watching it, I have the same argument I did for him playing in the NFL again... namely, his debt to society has been paid. Thus far he has been a good citizen since being released from incarceration and in fact his renewed activity on TV and in the NFL is being used by the animal rights types to bring awareness to the plight of other animals like those that lost their lives due to Vick's crime.

Anybody who is willing to pay him should be allowed, anyone who wants to watch him should not be criticized... so long as he remains true to his promises andprobation... laugh

Paulie:

He may have "paid his debt to society", but the mental illness that allowed him to commit those vile crimes in the first place is not cured that easily. Had he not been caught, he most likely would have continued abusing animals without any contrition.

You go ahead and pat him on the back because he can throw a football, I,for one, can't get the picture of the dogs he shot and abused out of my mind. But, of course, that's just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Rich, I don't "disagree" that the things that Vick did were disgusting and vile... but our for our nation to continue to function we have to continue to embrace the idea that once a "fitting punishment", as deemed by the courts has been paid for a crime then the guilty party is allowed to resume his life. I'm not rushing out to buy Vick gear... not planning to watch the show... but I do believe that if there are people who want to pay him to play football or appear on television, he has the right to take their money and do so... until and unless he is found to have violated the terms of his release...

Paulie:

That's very magnanimous of you.I can't help but wonder if you would show that same degree of largesse if Michael Vick weren't a celebrity and noted sport figure.

Would you be that forgiving to, oh, I don't know, Michael Vick, the dog-killing bus driver? I don't know. I'm not gonna cast aspersions on your willingness to forgive. I just think if Michael Vick were an average Joe, he would be treated like the pariah he deserves to be.

The point that you ignored in your answer is the fact that, to some extent, Michael Vick is mentally ill. For a person to have that little regard for a living creature, there would have to be some degree of mental deficiency, not to mention the moral implications.

So he may have "done his time", but he has by no means been forced to deal with what he's done. But maybe I'm asking too much. In this day and age when no one wants to accept blame for what they've done, why should we hold Michael Vick to that standard. But no one can convince me that if he hadn't been caught, he would have continued to abuse and kill those animals.

Again, just my opinion.