Backstage at the Bandstand

Raspbernie

american_bandstand-03.jpg

Originally a low-budget film by a new studio and with no major stars, "Dirty Dancing" became a massive box office hit. It's earned over $250 million worldwide. It was the first film to sell more than a million copies on home video, and the "Dirty Dancing" soundtrack generated two multi-platinum albums and multiple singles, including Eric's "Hungry Eyes.

"Dirty Dancing" surprised everyone when it became an instant hit movie and soundtrack back in 1987, including Eric, who was semi-retired at the time. When he got the call to appear on "American Bandstand" again (he performed on the program once with Raspberries and several times over his solo career), he was elated.

These behind-the-scenes photos of Eric backstage with long-time "American Bandstand" host Dick Clark have never been published. Until now. Enoy!

Bernie

• Like 1

All I can say is it's probably 8:15 A.M. Sunday morning in these photos and my eyes and face look puffy 'cause I rolled out of bed at quarter to six in order to be there on time.

Dick is such a pro. It's like he has a little clock in his head with an alarm that goes "ding" at 90 seconds, the usual length of his interviews. There's no such thing as a "long answer" on American Bandstand.

Eric Carmen said:

All I can say is it's probably 8:15 A.M. Sunday morning in these photos and my eyes and face look puffy 'cause I rolled out of bed at quarter to six in order to be there on time.

I wish I had such sweet eyes and such beautiful smile, at 8:00 in the morning... :heartpump:

• 2 weeks later...

Your puffy eyes in the morning look better than mine in the middle of the day! I still think Dick is envying Eric both his suit--and his youth! :)

Speaking of gorgeous eyes, Hi Gina! What a gorgeous picture--of both you AND Eric! Berriesbabe and "Handsome." Great to see you together in that photo!

:)--Love, Dar