New Beatle CD's

Brian

Brian,there was a review today in the Star-Ledger that said the improvement was not very dramatic,and the reviewer couldn't recommend people running out to buy them if they already had the CD's. Rob.

I think it depends on what you listen to them on. I have a great car stereo and the first album was noticibly different and absolutely terrific. "I Saw Her Standing There" was just thumping hot! Heard a few little doo-dads in "Boys" I'd never heard before and it was very clean (just like Paul's grandfather!). Then, I got home and played the second CD on my inferior boombox in my living room and didn't really notice much difference. I will say, my kids walked in while I was playing "With The Beatles" and they all remarked how great it sounded.

I have only listened to those two so far, as I want to play them inorder, but so far, I'm pretty excited.

I did not think I was going to have so much trouble finding the box set, though. Walmart had it listed on their website the other day at only $179, but it has since been removed. I went to several Best Buy locations and they were all sold out. One girl told me they got ten in and sold them out within an hour. I finally found what looked to be the last one in their inventory about twenty miles from my home and a kid there spent 25 minutes searching for it for me and finally found it in the back.

I am anxious to watch the DVD tomorrow.

I don't know how much of what was described by Brian and Pat can be called remastering,or just re-equalization.The Beatles and George Martin were on record as stating that the recordings were engineered to sound best in mono,because the predominant way people were listening to them back then was on car radios and transistor radios.I'm not making a judgement,just repeating what I read.The music is great anyway you listen to it.

Since our sites' namesake is 1)a big Beatles fan, 2)a pretty highly successful recording artist, and 3)extremely knowledgeable about record producing,mixing,editing,etc I would be very interested in hearing his expert opinion concerning the new remastered albums.

Worth getting "A Hard Day's Night" and "Beatles For Sale" in stereo finally. They were mono when the original CD's were released because George Martin insisted they never did stereo mixes of those albums and the only stereo versions had all vocals on one track and all instruments on the other. That was wrong as anyone who had the albums in stereo knew. Martin a few later admitted his surprise and mistake to discover true mixed for stereo versions existed saying he forgot. I forgive the guy his senior moment but craved for these done right (the American album versions CDs out a few years ago were close).

And when you get to "Hey Jude" on "Past Masters" crank it up and be prepared to be amazed. It is probably the best improved track. The drums and bass on it jump out giving it more power than ever.

I picked up "Past Masters" (remastered) and The White Album today, was wondering if anyone has bought The White Album (remastered) yet, and if so, what did you think of the quality (as compared to the "original" CD release of the same)? Thanks in advance!!! smile I also got Rubber Soul in the special "cube" set, that comes with a Tee ~ too bad it's in XL though ~ LOL!

I noticed that BB had MUCH better sale pricing on Past Masters, than Wal-Mart ~ just a heads up!

It's really taking some doing trying to get used to some of the "new versions" of songs. I read that the CD's are "compressed" which means that "the drums are louder, but dynamics are missing".

I actually have found the opposite on some tunes. The drums seem too quiet to me on songs like "Tell Me Why" and "What You're Doing". Some other oddities, at least to my ears, are the horn solo in "For No One" too quiet and John's vocal on "If I Fell" sounds like too much echo at the beginning.

One thing I have noticed was some great licks from George Harrison that have really been brought to the forefront

on these mixes that have not been heard in the past. "Beatles For Sale", with all those Carl Perkins songs and stylings, REALLY makes George sound terrific.

I opened up and played "Please Please Me" last nite and listened intently on both speakers and headphones.I must admit the sound is very clean and small nuances,like the tip of the drumstick tapping a cymbal,are very crisp and projected.The only oddity is that you can't enjoy this album on headphones or earbuds unless your system has a "blend" function.Otherwise you hear only instruments from the left channel and only voices from the right channel.It sounds very unnatural.The effect is much less pronounced when listening through loudspeakers because alot of the sound bounces and reflects before hitting our ears,so there is a natural blending.We need Dennis "the Fly" Ferrante to weigh in on this topic.

I am going to buy a few today. From what I've heard on the radio I noticed that Paul's very very cool basslines are brought out more. I was hesitant since I have EVERY Beatle album and CD in every way shape or form...Capitol releases and Parlophone releases. A Beatle fanatic can NEVER get enough of their music!

It is amazing how after all these years their music still sounds fresh and exciting.What tremendous talent.My only complaint is that both CD's I bought were nicked on the playing surface.Most likely from being slid into the cardboard sleeve-type case.That wouldn't have happened with jewel cases.

I just got it Pat! Oh man...I just LOVE what I hear!! "You're Gonna Lose That Girl" blows me away....and "Ticket To Ride"....O M G....Thanks for the heads up!! I also picked up "Beatles For Sale". I always loved that one too because "No Reply" kicks it off. That is one of my favorite Beatle tunes. Also....the Carl Perkins covers always blew me away...especially "Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby". Four kids from Liverpool rockin' like 4 Hillbilly cats. George's guitar work is just astounding on that tune!