A new school year...your memories

missm

I guess a new school year is starting. As one whose "kids" are now 27 (two of them) and 29, it warmed my heart to read about Tammy taking her two little ones to the kindergarden orientation yesterday. It made me think of the joyful things that only happen this time of year..

I enjoy seeing the parents bringing (by car or walking) their kids to school. Especially the kindergardeners - with their backpacks that are almost as tall as they are! The smiles and happiness on the faces of both parents and children are priceless. I enjoy hearing and seeing kids playing at recess. The laughter and running about are really neat. I love watching the kids and parents leaving to go home. More joy!

I see these things on my morning walk or when I run errands in the afternoon. What do see and enjoy this time of year?

Missm, my boys have been out of school for awhile too, they are 23, and almost 26, but my Grandson Evan starts Kindergarten on Monday, He is attending the same school that his father attended, and some of the teachers are still there smilie At open house, one of the teachers my son had, actually remembered him, He couldn't believe it, she said she remembered him, because he was a thoughtful, respectful student.(This Mama liked hearing that)I just love watching the little kids go up the street each morning with their "backpacks"..it brings back fond memories of my boys when they were younger...

I am still in this stage. My girls who are 13 and 9 just started back to school this last Tues. It's so great that I am home in the afternoon when they get home. Love hearing that school bus come down the street and my kids getting off to come home. LuvLove

"Meet the Teacher" night is the coolest thing the school district does before school actually starts - parents and kids both meet the new teacher and see the classroom(s).

This year, at the middle school, it was wild! insane There were 278 new 6th graders(and parents new to m.s life). My husband and I just stood there and watched(and laughed) haha We have been down that road a couple of times(our daughter is now in 8th grade - her last year there crying) Just my .02 worth.

It's great to hear Mom's talk about this!! missm, am I understanding right that you have twins?? If you do I have just one question for you.... does the "madness" (I say this in the most loving of ways) ever end? I have a son 10, and son 8 and the twins (boy/girl) who are 5. They all keep me pretty busy, but the twins especially do... they are each other's best friends and worst enemies. I think the beginning of the school year is so exciting for the kids. It's a chance to start new, meet new friends etc. I look forward to hearing other's comments on this!!

No twins, but a birth child and a step child who are three months apart in age. Tammy please be sure to enjoy this time with all of your children. It goes by so quickly. It really does seem like you blink and they are grown ups!

I recall watching Marie go back and forth putting Chris' laundry away in his room. On the second trip I asked her why she was folding and putting away his laundry. She smiled and said "because Chris asked me to." I went to his room and let him know in no uncertain terms that Nikki and Marie are his sisters and not his personal housekeepers. It was funny that he asked Marie and not Nikki. He knew Nikki would have raised a few knots on his head had he come to her with that noise.

I really do enjoy the kids... Although my oldest is just 10, it does seem like just yesterday I brought him home from the hospital. I wish I could be a stay at home mom, but situations create different needs for different people... my situation required me to stay on in nursing, although I did make the move from bedside to administration to have regular hours that better accommodated the kids activities, especially now that all are in school. We all get home around the same time AND we are home all weekend together.

I don't have any little ones (nor big ones!) at home, but I'm a teacher and love the beginning of the school year. It's a time of renewal, "starting over" with a fresh new crop of students for me and the ability to nurture my second year students (fifth graders) to more advanced playing levels before they leave me.

I love meeting the new beginning students (fourth graders) and at the same time really appreciate that I still have an additional year with the fifth graders, because I really bond with my kids, not having any at home.

I always take the opportunity, though, to go up to the middle school and see my kids who "graduated" from fifth grade last year because I always cry at their graduation and miss them terribly when they leave elementary school. Their sixth grade teacher and the seventh grade teacher also, by the way, were formerly my elementary school students, so I love seeing them also! They're about 28 and 45, but they're still "mine," play (and teach) beautifully, and I love them.

I always enjoy meeting the Kindergartners to third graders too. They're so cute, have such distinct personalities, even at that age, and it gives me a chance to "scout" future prospective string students!

:)--Darlene

"Artie-choke? Well,it might choke Artie,but it won't choke Stymie!"

"I'll trade you that doll for that dog"(5 minutes before Petey tears up the toy shop,and seconds from taking off the shop-owners left arm!)

speaking of Politically Incorrect Little Rascals....

Did anyone ever see the "Yum Yum Eat 'em Up" Episode? The episode was actually called "The Wild Man From Borneo" - 1933.

Synopsis.......the gang mistakes a circus performer (Wild Man From Borneo) as their Uncle George whom the kids have never seen. Stymie, upon seeing the "wildman" with a darker complexion than his own, remarks..."that's YOUR Uncle George?".

The "wildman" tastes some candy and chases the kids throughout the episode in a sugar-filled quest for more.

It was yanked off of WPIX (NYC) when I was about 7 years old. I remember my older brothers' reactions at the overt racial "humor".

My First Grade teacher's name as Mrs. Crabtree (no kidding, I even did a little digging in "that box" that my mom saved all of my papers in to make sure I was not just imagining it!!)

A couple of the memories that I have is going school shopping (I got 3 new outfits every year). Also, I remember getting in trouble in 3rd grade..... I had this um, "bad" habit of being afraid to bring home anything less than an "A", so I conveniently "lost" all of my papers that were less than an A on the way home from school. At the first parent/teacher conference, I was busted when my parents found out the truth. I still get "scolded" about this from time to time (of course, in a loving way now... if I remember, my punishment back then wasn't too "loving")!!!

My boys are grown men now but I have many fond memories.

When my oldest was waving goodbye to me on the first day of second grade, he walked into a poll and cut his forehead open. After the trip to emergency room and a change of clothes for both of us he went back to school.

I got bells palsy a few days before my youngest started kindergarten and he said to me " You're not going to take me to school are you 'cause you look really retarded and they will think I'm retarded too."

My husband took him to school,and I cried all morning.

I have made him pay for that remark for years now haha

When my oldest was waving goodbye to me on the first day of second grade, he walked into a poll and cut his forehead open. After the trip to emergency room and a change of clothes for both of us he went back to school.

I got bells palsy a few days before my youngest started kindergarten and he said to me " You're not going to take me to school are you 'cause you look really retarded and they will think I'm retarded too."

Bessie haha I love it, you have got to love a childs honesty wink

Kids are SO FUNNY and Honest to a fault sometimes!!! I remember, when I was in 7th or 8th grade, when my mom or dad took to an event (the roller rink, the movies, etc) I would make them drop me off around the corner so that my friends wouldn't see me getting out of "my parents" car.... Like I could have gotten there any other way?!?!?! I think I will cry, as you did, the first time one of mine does this to me!!

I do remember Miss Crabtree, Rob! I used to wish I could be exactly like her when I was little. And some of my friends used to call me "Darla" back then. Miss Crabtree was so pretty and so very perfect. I loved her and wished she'd been my teacher. My Kindergarten teacher was "Miss Schroeder," who had braces at about age 30, and a mean voice who would always yell "Richard!' in a brusque, rather masculine voice to the worst boy in the class, and then she would close her mouth over those heavy braces in a nasty scowl. She scared the tar out of me.

Ah, Miss Crabtree. Well, Mrs. Vogel and Mrs. Slovak, my 2nd and 3rd grade teachers, went a long way toward soothing the anxiety Miss Schroeder created.

:)--D

Miss Crabtree was a very pretty woman.No wonder all the boys always had a crush on her.I'm sure you can relate to that,being a beautiful female teacher.I'm sure you've broken quite a few of your young male students' hearts!!! heartpump

It's not a problem where I teach now, because my students are all 9 and 10 year olds, and in 4th grade the boys and girls think "eww" about the opposite sex. At the end of 5th grade the girls start thinking the boys are cute and the boys, for the most part, still think "yuck," but some reciprocate and a very rare one will suddenly start asking if I need help. Since I don't have a real room (I teach in the hall and people are constantly walking by so, happily, it's not very private--lots of activity all the time), there aren't many chores to do. I teach on a cart most of the time so it doesn't happen too much.

I did have one boy who tried to come to two lessons a week until I gently told him he was only allowed to miss class once.

The real problem was my first couple of years of teaching, when I taught high school choir. I was still 20 years old and some of the senior boys were 18 and even 19. There were a couple of guys who did everything possible to get my attention and, unfortunately, they were real jokers. They threw down a banana peel just before I came out with my hot lunch tray and I slipped and fell on it. The tray went up in the air, landing mashed potatoes, gravy and peas in the milk cooler. The custodian yelled at me and my boys laughed and so did everyone else.

I was 5'3 in 3 inch heels and did fairly well at keeping control during class. I would stamp my heel on the floor loudly and yell and sound authoritative. They also knew I was the keeper of the grade book. That helped. After chorus, however, those two would always stand up and try to leave class before the bell rang and get me into trouble. One day, when I stamped my heel and said, "Sit down!" the 6 foot tall boy said, "Make me." I finally had to whisper to them that if they didn't sit down the other 58 boys in chorus would never listen to me and it would ruin my career. Happily, they relented. They also voted me "best teacher" that year, so I didn't have too much to complain about, but I must confess I have it much easier with 10 year olds.

:)--D