Cover Song Selection

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Seattle Steve said:

Eric and covers are a one way street.. EC can cover anything, but due to the uniqueness of his vocals, he is extremely difficult for anyone else to cover succesfully, IMHO

I agree..Eric can sing anything, but many cannot sing his songs. His voice is unique

His songs are also pretty difficult to sing, let alone to play.

They're very complex and go places (modulation and keywise) that you don't expect them to go, and wouldn't even think to bring them there. So the chord changes are very unorthodox (beautifully and surprisingly so) and difficult for the musicians to "get" and figure out. I've jammed with the recordings of both Raspberries and Eric's solo music a long time and even now, on some of the songs, if I haven't played with them in a long time, I'll be playing along and hit a wrong note and say, "oh, it goes to (whatever) chord, not what I expected."

I would love playing some of his violin charts because it would be a real gas just to see the voicing, which I know is beautiful.

This combination of unexpectedly beautiful harmonies as well as melodic content, and amazing bridges, is what makes E's music so "unique," as you put it.

Ahhh. World class.

:)--D

What does it take for an artist to "cover" Eric's songs. A great vocalist..(such as myself or a few others)..none of whom come to mind.

I have (unfortunately)heard others cover Eric's songs, and they both sucked!!!! There is an unencumbered, passionate, sincerity in his voice that cannot be taught and/or affected. You either have it or you don't. It also helps to cover the whole song...

Eric "styles" a song, and you're right, the honesty and sincerity is the paramount thing. His voice not only reflects the entire spectrum of emotion that can be interpreted, but his voice has a very beautiful, silvery tone quality to it and he can change that tone color and nuance it better than anyone else I know. His vocal blends with Wally are the most beautiful I've ever heard.

All that is pretty difficult for any singer to compete with, because most are just that, singers, not artists. Not a "compleat" artist anyway, as one who involves his complete being in the song and makes it totally his own. Such artists are rare. Eric is peerless in that regard.

:)--Darlene

• 2 weeks later...

Some artists are a sitting duck for a cover version, Dylan comes to mind, and to be honest, even the Stones, Bette-) hit Beast of Burden out of the park, and even artists as early as the Turtles or Hendrix had a great interpretation of Dylan.

Great composers, average vocalists, EC, despite his self-depreciating musings, is arguably one of the best and most versatile rock and roll vocalist of the last half century. IMHO from coffee/software/planes land..

;) S