First Stereo 45

Back in March 9, 1968, Buddah Records releaed the first stereo 45 called "Rice Is Nice" by the Lemon Pipers (which went to # 46 back in April of 1968) along with the flip side "Blueberry Blue" which said "Dual 45" "playable stereo as well as mono". The next stereo 45 was also released on Buddah Records by the 1910 Fruitgum Co. called "May I Take A Giant Step (Into Your Heart)" (which went to # 63 back in May of 1968) along with the flip side "(Poor Old) Mr. Jensen". The first stereo song to hit the Billboard Charts at # 1 was "Hello, I Love You" by The Doors on Elektra Records which spent 2 weeks back in August 3 & 10 1968. The next stereo single to hit # 1 was "Get Back" by The Beatles (with the late Billy Preston) which spent 5 weeks back in May 24 through June 21, 1969. By the way, the song "Look What They've Done To My Song Ma" by The New Seekers (featuring Eve Graham) on Elektra Records did not show either mono or stereo on the label back in September of 1970. That song went to # 14 (Hot 100) & # 4 (AC Charts). The 45 was indeed released in TRUE stereo along with the flip side "It's A Beautiful Day" also in TRUE stereo. Back in April 29, 1972, Phillips Records released the song "How Do You Do?" by Mouth And MacNeal which was released as a "MONO" single but it was released in TRUE stereo along with the flip side "Land Of Milk And Honey" also in true stereo. The song went to # 8 (Hot 100) in June of 1972 & # 37 (AC Charts) back in August of 1972. Matt

spin Gee, Matt what are you some kind of a ROCKMUSICOLOGIST?? Seriously, this information is fascinating and I am glad you provided it!!! Matt, would you answer these questions for me please:

1.Were all 45s before 3-9-1968 Mono?

2. Who invented the Stereo sound and when?

I will store this info in my mental roll-a-dex. :thanx:

Missm: All 45 before March 9 are indeed in mono sound. I cannot ask about the 2nd question though. DannyS: Check your 45 collection & let me see what early 45's in stereo that you have!! I bought the self-titled "Brooklyn Bridge" 3rd album from 1970 (which has the remakes of Neil Young "Down By The River" & Peter, Paul & Mary "Day Is Done") at a used record store in Flint, Michigan & Buddah Records show the various albums on other labels & on the other side of the sheet contains of how records were made back then. That is why Buddah Records (not other labels) made the VERY first 45 in stereo "Rice Is Nice" by The Lemon Pipers. If you check it out on EBay, you can see what i'm talking about. Matt

I still have crates full of my 45's...Im going to have to dig them out, and see what the earliest stereo 45 is in my collection.I have a few with TWO songs on each side..does anyone remember those?

Yeah!...I remember...There was a gap between songs like an album...I can't remember what the songs were...But i had at least one such 45.

btw...DJ copies of 45's came with one side in stereo...one side in mono back when stereo was first introduced on 45...and they were released to radio like that for many years.