Fade Out Ending Of A Song

Back in the day the artist didn't have much control over the final product.

In the late 50's the "B" side of Little Richard's "Long Tall Sally" was 'Slippin' and Slidin'" - I was fascinated by the energy of his amazing sax player, Lee Allen, and felt the song faded too soon. When I bought the CD I was ecstatic to hear almost 25 seconds of additional instrumental jamming (total 2:40) by his great backup band and Lee's sax was wailing more in these last 25 seconds than in the released single, which was 2:15 long. I have it on itunes and it is superb but to enjoy the 'extended' version you have to be familiar with the original.

I have always preferred fade outs because it implies there is more. The above is validation of that.

Ok, so i didn't add much to the thread but the point is, what was left on the cutting room floor from the Berrie's songs that had a fade?

The song fade was primarily advanced during the jukebox era, as indeed it left the listener wanting more and they listened and spent more. Also 45 singles were mastered louder and louder competitively so they would jump out more among the song selections..

Even today, when a band goes out on the road to promote a new album, one of the first orders of business is to compose a live ending for a faded recorded song.