Disneyland

Raspbernie

On 1/26/2009 at 11:33 PM, Eric Carmen said:

I completely lost my voice. That's the only time I can ever remember that happening.

I've had that happen a couple times - as a singer, it's no fun. I usually lose the middle range first interestingly enough. Over time, I've figured out that it was VERY seasonal - related to allergies. Luckily there are good antihistamines on the market these days. Zyrtec saves me during leaf mold season, and Chlortrimeton saves me during pollen season. I've also become a fan of regular saline nasal rinsing - very safe for the voice.

Thanks for bumping this thread Helen!

I had no idea the Raspberries performed at Disneyland. Interesting that Eric completely lost his voice, I'd be terrified if that ever happened. Good thing it came back and we got decades of great vocal performances to follow.

1 hour ago, kyletx500 said:

Thanks for bumping this thread Helen!

I had no idea the Raspberries performed at Disneyland. Interesting that Eric completely lost his voice, I'd be terrified if that ever happened. Good thing it came back and we got decades of great vocal performances to follow.

Hey Kyle, that was my 'bump'. Hmmmmm, somehow that just doesn't sound right LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

Dug this article up with additional info on the Disneyland gigs:

"They didn't get to see much of Los Angeles during their short stay here because they were doing two shows a night at Disneyland for six days and spending most of their spare time doing promotion related activities with personnel from the record company and writing new material for their third album which is due out in the spring."

And:

"During the interview, Carmen was nursing a sore throat obtained mainly because of the demand of the two nightly shows."

Makes me wonder whether Eric sang at the first few shows then lost his voice or whether he came into L.A. with a sore throat.

Hmmm...

1972-12-29-raspberries-valley_news-van_nuys_ca.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Raspbernie said:

Dug this article up with additional info on the Disneyland gigs:

"They didn't get to see much of Los Angeles during their short stay here because they were doing two shows a night at Disneyland for six days and spending most of their spare time doing promotion related activities with personnel from the record company and writing new material for their third album which is due out in the spring."

And:

"During the interview, Carmen was nursing a sore throat obtained mainly because of the demand of the two nightly shows."

Makes me wonder whether Eric sang at the first few shows then lost his voice or whether he came into L.A. with a sore throat.

Hmmm...

1972-12-29-raspberries-valley_news-van_nuys_ca.jpg

Good find, Bernie! My girlfriend and I saw two of the earlier shows from that week. I don't remember Eric NOT singing, although he could have been lip synching, I suppose. 

• 3 weeks later...

raspberries-tomorrowland_stage.jpg

Based on this article, Raspberries appeared on the Tomorrowland Stage—a much bigger venue than the Tomorrowland Terrace. Here's a vintage photo showing the stage. Maybe someone who was there can confirm. Was the crowd really this large?

tomorrowstage.jpg

18 hours ago, Raspbernie said:

Based on this article, Raspberries appeared on the Tomorrowland Stage—a much bigger venue than the Tomorrowland Terrace. Here's a vintage photo showing the stage. Maybe someone who was there can confirm. Was the crowd really this large?

Nope, not on this stage when we saw them...it's clear as day in my mind. The crowd was probably 200-300. Perhaps they played the Tomorrowland Stage on some of the other dates, but not the night we were there.

This is more like what it looked like when Raspberries played the night we saw them. To be sure, there is a lot of misuse of the terms, Tomorrowland Stage, Tomorrowland Terrace, Coca Cola Terrace, Tomorrowland Terrace Stage, etc. People seem to use the terms interchangeably. To add to the confusion, the top of the Tomorrowland Terrace Stage could be lowered during the day, chairs populated the dance floor, which would be removed at night.  

20151218_172059_lls_wm-1.jpg

• Like 1

Every day, thousands of photos are taken at Disneyland. Literally everyone had a camera (in the days before phones with cameras were invented). You would have thought someone might have taken a snapshot of the band on stage that week.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Raspbernie said:

Every day, thousands of photos are taken at Disneyland. Literally everyone had a camera (in the days before phones with cameras were invented). You would have thought someone might have taken a snapshot of the band on stage that week.

Cameras are clunky to carry around and can be downright dangerous on some of the rides. My sister had her camera fly off on Thunder RR and they couldn't retrieve it until the park closed! I know I didn't want to be burdened with one. Of course, I was naive to think Raspberries would play Disneyland more than once. I figured our guys would be back at least every year. Ha! Also, having been to Disneyland dozens of times I was not thinking like a tourist. 

Here's my final thought on this (for now). Raspberries did not play on the Tomorrowland Terrace the night we saw them (both times- 8 pm and 10 pm). They were set up around the corner to the left of the Terrace (if you were facing the stage). Raspberries were the featured attraction. It wouldn't make sense to have another band playing the same evening on the Tomorrowland Terrace. So, if Raspberries weren't playing on the Terrace, nobody was. Why? Well, the stage was mechanical. It was kept underground when not in use and had to be raised by motors and hydraulics and such. Based on everything else I have researched I think it's safe to say the stage refused to rise that particular evening, causing Disneyland to scramble and set up Raspberries off to the side, probably less than 100 feet from the Terrace stage. Probably the only night it happened during their week-long gig and just another chapter in my Raspberries/Eric concert glitches over the years...