Let's ROCK!

Raspbernie

Eric didn't play bass at any of the reunion shows, but he did at his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame solo show! I admit it was pretty cool to hear Eric pick out that cool bass riff after the intro to "Go All The Way" just before he starts singing the verse.

You know what part I'm talking about :)

This is the original Utopia referred to in the Armed Forces broadcast that burned to the ground. Normally a dance club, people sat on the dance floor and listed when the Berries played. Behind the stage were pool tables and pinball machines. When the boys returned after recording the first album they had a new toy, "strobe tuner" for the guitars. High tech stuff for the day.

GREAT PLACE, The Utopia. Saw the Berries there many times the last time with Scott McCarl in the band immediately preceding the release of Starting Over. Snuck in a recorder and listened to them for many years on cassette until the damn tape wore out. Remember most the first time I heard Play On and thought it was absolutely their best song, with ERic and Scott trading vocals, totally capturing the 60's LIverpool sound on their terms.

Isn't this interesting...see, musical differences, unexpected and something different from what we expect...we like! Ok, we LOVE!! Now wouldn't it be incredible if we could 'bridge' all of life's 'unexpected' or 'differences' in the same manner as we celebrate in music! Sometimes, different is good...in fact, realllll good in this case :)

We used to play there on most Thursdays and Wednesdays were rehearsal days. So the crew would usually come in on Tuesday afternoon and set up, to hard to get up early on Wednesday to get everything set up on time. The Berries played with Chubby Checker and Chuck Berry at the Utopia. The club was much like the Agora for everyone who lived on the East side and did not want to go downtown. Like most clubs it catered to the 18 - 25 crowd and served low and high beer.

Hey WC 1215 hate to disagree with you but we had strobe tuners way back in Cyrus Erie and Target days. Without those I would have never figured out how to tune all of Wally's guitars.The hard part was tuning the piano to the strobe but the whole crew got pretty good at it. One thing I liked about Utopia was that it was an easy load in/out.

Lastly, when the band got back together for the reunion shows , we rehearsed back at the club. Prior to it now being a funeral home it was an auction house and after weekday rehearsals we had to pack everything up and put it away in an office for security. If you bought the CD/DVD there are some shots of the rehearsal hall just prior to the first reunion show.

AHHHH the old days!!!!