Rate-A-Record

Raspbernie

rate_a_record-01.jpg

Sometime in 1974, Eric went into the offices of Phonograph Record magazine for an interview. While he was there, the journalist played several current and past records for Eric who participated in a regular feature at the magazine where noted musicians were asked to rate records.

The top photo was used to illustrate the gesture story in the magazine, while the second photo, a portrait of Eric taken at the same time as the interview, has never been published.

Bernie

• Like 1

One comment about The Creation - while it's true that the drummer ain't exactly keeping proper time on "Makin Time", they were contemporaries of The Who, as opposed to copying them. Rumor had it their guitarist Eddie Phillips was even invited to join The Who at one point, but turned them down. (Since denied by Eddie...) Nonetheless, he was and still is, a great guitarist, easily in Townshend's class....(also wrote "Teacher, Teacher", the leadoff cut on Rockpile's only album).

"You had me at "He also wrote Teacher, Teacher'."

Unfortunately, Eddie's also known for being the first guitarist to use a violin bow on his guitar....an annoying "technique" copied/borrowed by Jimmy Page. Eddie's solos in "Makin' Time" and "Painter Man" (The Creation's biggest UK hits) feature his bowing.

Bernie, thanks for the very insightful article and all of the great info! I know that the "E" on the necklace stands for Eric, but the only word that seems to keep popping up in my mind when I look at the second photo is pure...EXTASCY!!! The combination of his unshaven look and that smile make for an EXTRAORDINARILY Handsome photo!

Bernie...I went back to the "Rate-A-Record" article written by my best friend Mel's late buddy Alan Betrock of Queens N.Y.

Jeez...Eric is such a great musicologist and historian...Even in '75 he was aware of EVERYTHING happening musically...Wow!

Thanks for the article and photos.-Ira.