The Cyrus Erie

Raspbernie

ec-the_cyrus_erie-01.jpg

ec-the_cyrus_erie-02.jpg

ec-the_cyrus_erie-03.jpg

This week, we're stepping into our "Wayback Machine" and setting a course for 1968.

The first photo is a studio portrait of Cyrus Erie circa that year. Pictured clockwise (from left) are Bob McBride, Marty Murphy, Eric Carmen, Michael McBride and Wally Bryson.

The second photo shows the Cyrus Erie band van—nothing like travelling from gig to gig in style, eh? This van was probably used to tote the band's equipment to their most notable performance: opening for The Who at Musicarnival in Cleveland on July 14, 1968.

The third photo shows the band on stage at that historic concert. Pictured are Marty Murphy (on guitar), Wally Bryson (also on guitar), Eric (on drums!), Bob McBride (on bass) and brother Michael McBride (in mid-leap on lead vocals.)

Bernie

• Like 2

AnniekNY said:

What's the story behind the band title "The Cyrus Erie"?

I think we'll need Eric to weigh in on this crazy "THE" controversy!

I mean, everyone calls them "Cyrus Erie," yet it's clear from the van photo as well as the logo emblazoned on their bass drum at Musicarnival that the band was officially "THE Cyrus Erie." On the other hand, their Epic single says "Cyrus Erie." Not to mention, his more famous band was officially "Raspberries" yet everyone calls them "THE Raspberries."

:mellow:

I'm speechless (which is rare). Bernie....this new feature is just fantastic. Thank you!

The Ford Econoline van pic is just too good to be true. You could picture the boys schlepping their equipment, smoking cigs and blasting the AM radio. Too cool!

John

Bernie,

Kudos---my new favorite feature at EC.com! I love old photography, especially if the topic is something I care about. More early Raspberries stuff would be awesome. (Remember how hard it was to find pictures of the band back in the 1970s? Rolling Stone and Cream and Circus just weren't doing 'em justice!)

Your friend,

Larry

After exhaustive research it was determined that the "The" in Cyrus Erie fell off the van in front of Capitol Records, where an executive of Capitol picked it up and stuck it to Raspberries :lol: Nice pics, Bern!

• Haha 1

WOW!!!! Greap pix, Bernie! Talk about getting some treasures out of the archives of time!

Having taught in Illinois, near Peoria, I know that Bucyrus Erie was a company like Caterpillar that made heavy duty tractors and the like.

I don't remember the band having "The" in front of its name, but there it is, on the van.

What a cool offering! I LOVE IT!

:) --Darlene

Wendy--- :D:)

I know what you mean- some of the older pictures I've seen of Eric (including this one) look A LOT like my 16 year old son, Gabriel, with the exception of hair color (my son has light brown hair). Gabriel can even see it!

I first noticed it a few months ago in one of the pictures Eric has on MySpace.

boopell said:

I know what you mean- some of the older pictures I've seen of Eric (including this one) look A LOT like my 16 year old son, Gabriel, with the exception of hair color (my son has light brown hair). Gabriel can even see it!

I first noticed it a few months ago in one of the pictures Eric has on MySpace.

Yeah, thank goodness my nephew has dirty blonde hair - I'm not so confused right now! :lol: