Significant Other's View of EC/Berries Music

Billy K.

My wife Bonnie was never a Raspberries fan and maybe just a marginal EC fan at best. I blame that on her not liking much music pre-1975 due to her age and lack of familial influence. (Geez can you imagine not being impacted by the British Invasion?). Since 1990,when we started to date, Bonnie has been bombarded with Raspberries and EC songs. She was finally won over when we went back to our hometown of NYC for a long romantic weekend and saw the boys @ BB King's. The show was SO tight, celebs everywhere including Jon Bon Jovi...and a great crowd. I DID inform her that Paulie was probably in diapers when Raspberries hit big :lol::huh: and that he wasn't an original member. LOL She came away from that weekend a huge fan.

My father who has long since passed away LOVED EC's solo debut album. He would play "Sunrise", "ABM"....and his favorite "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again". He had eclectic taste in music, but obviously a good ear. It's still a special memory for me 30-plus years later remembering my father placing the album on the turntable...and then having to get up to skip songs he didn't like as much.

John

my wife's quote at their Cleveland show was "i don't understand why these guys weren't bigger than they were?!?" - in other words: "Wow!". she allows me to indulge my fandom by going along w/ my idea to haul us halfway across country twice to see them. she digs "Play On" & "Overnight Sensation" & i forget what else. she was totally uninitiated until we met, tho' of course she knew "Go All the Way" but was stunned it was the same guy who did "All By Myself" & all his other solo hits. but i think she didn't really get my fandom until she saw them live herself, & let's face it, you could not walk away from that Cleveland show w/out having been blown away

My son, who will be 26 this year, only started listening to berries about a year ago...now when I have a new tidbit or have found one of theirs' or EC's songs that he doesn't have, he scrambles to listen to mine. Even tho the difference in age...the music still has the same effect on him...(thank God hes' not big into rap)

John listened to the guys back in the day, too. He was with me in Cleveland and so was our Annie. True story --- I got a text message just yesterday from my SIL, Brad, saying that "overnight Sensation" just came on XM so he stopped to listen. (Yes, he has been absorbed into the collective. :angry: --- oh yes, he knows exactly who Eric is from my laptop music!

My husband is not really into music, when he does listen he prefers country. This is ridiculous to me because he is from New York !

He did enjoy the concert in Cleveland and has stopped teasing me about the Raspberries. Bill is very good to me so I am sure when the next concert series are scheduled we will be there.

My sons think I play the same EC CD's too often, they are not here very much so I do what I want.

• Like 1

When I was married, I put on one of my Raspberries albums. I could immediately see that my now ex didn't get it. I never played the music again when he was around. It was my treat for myself when he went out to sea. The good thing about that is I don't relate any memories now to my ex when I hear the Raspberries music.

When my daughters were old enough, I introduced them to the music. I even took them to NYC for WAB III and one of the concerts at BB Kings. Now the oldest and youngest like the Raspberries enough to have downloaded all my CDs to their IPODs. My middle daughter just rolls her eyes. I guess we all can't have great taste :)

My wife loves the Raspberries and, of course, loves Dirty Dancing! She also loves (another one of my faves) "The Grass Roots," as do my two boys who are 21 and 19 (although they aren't too fond of "Bread" LOL!!) She can't seem to understand, however, that every time I get online, she is listening to another Berries tune!

Herman has always been an avid fan of classic rock and an over-the-top Beatles fan. He'd lived with hearing about Eric and Raspberries music for 19 years, but just before the 2004 reunion concert I played him ALL the Raspberries albums and Eric solo albums. He was extremely impressed and compared them to the Beatles.

However, he wasn't prepared for their live performance at the Cleveland HOB. In the wild excitement following the rise of the curtain on IWBWY after the famous montage, he was on his feet cheering about how fantastic the band is and I hadn't seen him that excited since we saw Macca in concert. He's a true believer now!

:) --Darlene

My wife just doesn't get it. She was at the first reunion but the music doesn't resonate with her at all. On the plus side she doesn't seem to mind when I go to the concerts (8 so far). She's into Kenny Chesney, Yanni, Celine Dion and Jim Brickman.

My son, Scott, has been a fan since he was a teenager (he's older that most posters on this board). He is/was a musician (drummer) and has a discerning ear for talent.

My daughter, Sandy, is a fan as well but has no musical inclination as far as instruments go, just good taste <smile>. Both children have attended two concerts, but not at the same time.

I know many folks that grew up in Cleveland even one who attended Brush High School but none of them are Raspberrie fans - go figure.

Billy K. said:

Just wondering about the husbands/wives/ girlfriends/boyfriends of EC board members' view of EC and Berries music.....do they like it as much as you do? How about the kids, if you have any?

Well I guess that because I turned up with Kiwi at WAB last year and was as excited as she was about meeting Eric even though I hadn't heard EC or the Raspberries until I met her means I more than like the music huh!!! :lol:

However she doesn't really get my Doo Wop music that I enjoy.

Kiwi's family don't get Raspberries or EC nor do her children. Mine having never been exposed to it other than my youngest just shrug their shoulder.

Muzza :cool:

My husband was familiar with the Raspberries, but never a big fan. He went with me to the 2005 NYC concert - mainly to see me enjoy it, but he was a good lad and paid attention. After a few songs he commented on how tight they were, how great the vocals were, and how much fun they were having. This from someone who mainly listens to classical music.

The other weekend I had GATW blaring from the house. He was outside, heard it, and had to come upstairs to tell me he now felt as if he was living with a teenager! The Raspberries fountain of youth elixir!!

(and no, I didn't turn it down!)

My husband is a so-so fan, but he does like "I Wanna Hear it From Your Lips".

My boys are fans--they all have a favorite Raspberries song. My oldest is trying to learn to play them on his guitar.

Just the other day, my youngest wanted to have friend over and I told him fine...if he could name 3 Raspberries songs. He did!! :)

As for the flight attendants at Air Canada, she is not well-liked by them, either. She got paid big bucks to MODEL their new UNIFORMS!(About two years ago).

They were not only disgusted by seeing money wasted having Celine model......but also the fact that she is a size "0"....which is not realistic

for 99% of the women that work on the planes at AC---even the skinny ones aren't that emaciated!!

My wife enjoys their music and really enjoyed the reunion show in CHicago. When I bought the Live on the Sunset Strip cd, she was quick to have me put it in the cd player in the car on the way home from the store. We made an extra long drive home. In a unique twist, my daughter found my "Choir Practice" cd, and when she was in high school the song "It's Cold Outside" was her favorite song. She really freaked when I told her that 3 of the members of the band ended up in Raspberries with EC. She likes the Raspberries also.

• 3 weeks later...

I am perpetually single so I can't really comment on a significant other's interest in ec/berries, but my son's father likes everything from Frank Zappa (ugh) to Harry Chapin (Yay!). If I called him up right now to ask I'm sure he would say ec is a great songwriter. I'm very sure. I just can't say that I recall it coming up in the 5 years we were together.

Now that rotten kid of ours is a different story! The 18 yr. old punk likes to hurt my ears with rap music. And hey, I consider myself open to a lot of things. But rap is right out. I don't know where we went wrong, but I know my son does a lot of things specifically to irritate me and I'm hoping his choice of music is merely another manifestation of his sick desire to make me cringe.

My parents never had this probem with me. My folks divorced in 1966 when I was 2 and Dad played everything (that is now called) Classic Rock while my Mother took me down the road of Burt Bacharach/Hal David, etc. I enjoyed being in both environments.

I must say, however, that my son doesn't complain about MY choice of music. I do not watch TV apart from a movie on Sat. night - I keep the AM news radio on during the day and play the satellite radio all night. My son "knows" all of my music, it's just not what he pops in his car CD player.

Kelley