"On the Beach"

LC

I had Side 3 spinning in the car last night, and... of all the Raspberries songs that didn't turn up at any of the 13 reunion shows from 2004-2007, "On the Beach" might be the one I'd most like to hear, live. Well, maybe "I Can Hardly Believe You're Mine," too.

Anyway, listening to "On the Beach" for the first time in a while made me remember how much I dig it. It takes me right back to one particular summer during my college years.... Whew. I had it playing a lot that summer --- it would have been around the time I "discovered" the Side 3 album (a few years after it came out). "On the Beach" always struck me as a logical follow-up, thematically, to "Let's Pretend" --- all that urgency, but with less innocence, and with a more haunting sort of production. Great song, IIMHO (although I remember a long-ago post here where it got mixed commentary from board members).

I wonder if the band rehearsed "On the Beach" at all in the past couple of years --- or if it was never under consideration for a live show.... Anyone know? (Apologies if I missed a mention of it.

Oh yes. The seagulls drove me nuts, too. Even before my seagull incident the seagulls in the song drove me bonkers. Whose marvelous idea was that Eric? Was it the same guy who added the wimpy background voices on the remix of "Boats..." which totally ruined this beautiful song for me? I say we find him and hurt him.

No seagulls for Ted.

I have to agree with Darlene. The gulls do sound contrived...I love the song...always been one of my favorites off of Side 3..it has a kind of dramatic quality to it that I love. Getting back to seagulls..I've had a few unsavory run-ins with these winged rats which kind of puts me off the not so little b@#$%^&*. And this is coming from an animal lover. LOL

I enjoy the seagulls too. I do remember some photos that some insider took of some of the first rehersals back in 2004. I seem to recall they put as a caption....Driving Around/Cruisin Music/On the Beach Medley...

I do remember the Berries playing Driving Around and Cruisin Music at the Chicago HOB concert in Jan 2005.

Dave Smalley also on his website back around that time said he would really like to play On the Beach as he liked it and thought it was a good song.

It is a very good song in my opinion. I hope the Berries decide to "dust it off" and give it a try. Sorry Ted.....I would even like it if there were no Florida seagulls.

Phil

I like the gulls.

Why? Because they are REAL. Trust me. My balcony and air conditioner are constantly spattered with their poop. When Eric lived here, his must have been too.

Now, when I listen to "On the Beach," I know that a balcony view of the lake much like my own must have inspired many of his Coca-Cola-fueled songwriting binges back in 1973.

And believe me, this view has seagulls. Lots of 'em.

Consider yourselves lucky that Eric never tried writing a variation of "The Itsy Bitsy Spider." It's got a lot of them, too. (For some reason, contrary to usual spider habits, they keep trying to get indoors in the summer, rather than the winter.) Actually, "Itsy Bitsy" would not do, as GARGANTUAN would be more the word. Why so many? Same reason the seagulls are here: by a large body of water, the eatin's very good. They will never starve for lack of bugs.

Which is why, although spiders pretty much take over my balcony every summer, I never have a problem keeping free of gnats or mosquitoes!

I'm in the Brian/Phil/Trindy camp here.... The gulls aren't a "deal-breaker" for "On the Beach".... A few squawks at the intro and outro are fine.... In fact, I like 'em. They give the song a bit of atmosphere --- a nice, breezy feel that balances all that urgency in the song. IMHO.

PS: Did you know that there isn't actually a specific species of bird called "seagull"? There are lots of different gulls, but people use the term "seagull" generically to describe 'em in general....

sterling said:

I do remember some photos that some insider took of some of the first rehersals back in 2004. I seem to recall they put as a caption....Driving Around/Cruisin Music/On the Beach Medley...

I do remember the Berries playing Driving Around and Cruisin Music at the Chicago HOB concert in Jan 2005.

Dave Smalley also on his website back around that time said he would really like to play On the Beach as he liked it and thought it was a good song.

It is a very good song in my opinion. I hope the Berries decide to "dust it off" and give it a try. Sorry Ted.....I would even like it if there were no Florida seagulls.

Phil, thanks for jogging my memory---I actually remember reading that bit about the medley, too, now that you mention it. But I hadn't heard about Dave Smalley's thoughts --- that's a pretty good endorsement....

And thanks, John P, for the note on Jim B's recollection. It's funny to hear that Eric thinks the lyrics are stupid.... Eric, I kinda like 'em. They're no more "stupid" than many others we know by heart, from "She Loves You" and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" to "Let's Pretend" and "Tonight." For me, the lyrics (and music) of "On the Beach" capture a point in life that's worth remembering....

They (the lyrics) may not have the literary excellence of, say, "Boats" or "Nowhere to Hide," but they were written by a 23- or 24-year-old, so they might have meaning to a lot of us who were in our late teens or early 20s when we first heard it.... Awesome song. Really. IMHO (in my humble opinion). Like I said, I hadn't listened to it for several months, so when I put Side 3 on yesterday, it sounded really fresh again.

Trindy's view of the seagulls sounds plausible, since she lives there. I'll go listen to them with an open mind. If they were Eric's idea, they must be good. However, if he thought "On the Beach" was 'hilarious,' maybe they weren't his idea.

I like seagulls. I like Steven Seagull. I mean, Seagal.

:) --Darlene

I don't think he liked the sleigh bells in "Crusin' Music", either, but the song just wouldn't sound the same without the bells.

Having the seagulls missing from "On the Beach" probably is the same thing.

And since I write songs myself, I can understand Eric's point of view.......some of the stuff that I wrote out of high school, and which I now find dated/irrelevent/stupid, also happen to be ones that people like. Go figure!

OK...every angle of "On the Beach" has been covered. Let's now try to figure out why they haven't played "I Can Hardly Believe You're Mine." IMO, it stands up against any Raspberries song...and I mean any one. Great guitar work, no stupid or dated lyrics...just a classic. It's one of my top 10 favorite Raspberries songs, and really the only one they haven't done during the reunion that I wish they had.