I Cannot Believe

MJ

...that Go All the Way only hit number 4 as the highest chart position on the WABC weekly survey in 1972!!! I can't believe people liked BEN better lol.... it was a song about a RAT for god's sake!

GATW was probably too risque for some markets in 1972, which probably hurt it on the charts. I know Elizabethtown, KY was (is) not a music hot spot, but I doubt it got played much (if at all) around here. I was only 11 at the time but I know I heard "Ben" A LOT...I never heard GATW until I was much older.

I sort of remember that the GATW lyrics were deemed a little to sexual for one Detroit radio station and during an early tour the guys basically had to make an apology at the station while we were up in that area doing shows. Eric would remember this and have to confirm that it did happen.

"I Wanna Be With You" was the first Raspberries song I ever heard.I think I was 12 and it was my favorite song. That started it for me.

Was IWBWY their second single? The next song I remember is "Overnight Sensation".

At that age I only bought 45's. I never heard GATW til I started buying albums a couple of years later.

And my sister had "Ben". I couldn't stand it then and I can't stand it now!

I can't really recall hearing IWBWY on the radio station - I do have a vague memory of Don't Wanna Say Goodbye though - but I think my brother was playing it on his stereo and I thought it was the Bee Gees lol.

And yes Steve it is a great showing - for the most recognizable opening riff to a song wink