I Was There

BeatleJay

January 15 2005. Raspberries play to a packed house at the HOB in Chicago. Up to the moment the curtains went up, I still couldn't believe that RASPBERRIES were going to perform, and I was there. I had never been to Chicago, had never traveled far to see a band play. There was no way I could not go to this show. I couldn't make it to the first two reunion shows, so when the third show was announced, we immediately made plans to attend. I would have done anything to get to this show, so a couple weeks' pay, and a 2000 mile trip was the bargain of a lifetime. I don't know if it was the fact that I was seeing them for the first time, but the electricity in the room was obvious. I was just too happy to be surrounded by people who not only knew, but loved this band. The guys blew me and everybody else away that night. I was even more of a Raspberries fan before the night was through, I didn't think that was possible. I was very fortunate to be able to meet the guys that night, and they were so gracious. I was hooked all over again. So it's been three years, and I have seen eight shows. Everybody involved gets a big thank you from me. I could not have more fun than when I am with you people watching our guys.

BeatleJay,

I saw the Raspberries for the first time in Chicago three years ago tonight. It was unlike any experience I have ever had at a concert. The electricity was unreal! I had goosebumps on my arms as the curtains went up and I Wanna Be With You was being played. I remember at the time the whole section where my daughter and I were standing was just moving left then right and clapping and it was so cool. I even had a guy behind me laugh and say nicely...please watch it I am being hit by all these people moving to the music! I met Marvin, Ted and Old Blue (John). Also Gina gave Sarah my daughter a penlight. It was really fantastic!!! It was just a very together and exciting feeling. Raspberries were a very tight band that night that could blow any other band out of the water. I will never forget that night!! I hope Chicago happens again!

Phil

BeatleJay, Your description encapsulates the "Raspberries Live" experience perfectly. It's not just because it was the first show in so many years. Razz shows ALWAYS WERE that way!

Electricity--the only word I could ever think of that accurately describes them together. "Chemistry" and "Magic" are even too bland to describe what they have together. And I've always sensed that they felt it too, but having gone through so many years apart, I believe they not only are more cognizant of their magic together, but are also more appreciative of it and each other. These guys always loved each other and the music they create together, but youth and impetuousity got in the way back in the day and caused them to take it for granted. Not any more!

:) --Darlene

Yep. An unbelievable evening.

It's another bitterly cold outside "Third Saturday Night in January" in Chicago again tonight. JUST like 2005. The mind races back ...

It HAS been three years. They've been good ones for me and mine and I hope for you and yours, too. A special greeting to the MANY friends I have been lucky to make on this board.

And here's hoping Raspberries haven't seen the last of Chicago!

"Keith"

"Magical" is indeed the right word. The sheer ecstasy (no pun intended, but oh well, it's there) of it was unbelievable. I won't try to cite every detail because if I do, I'll still be typing this time next week. Definitely a time that I suspect will never be equaled as meeting new friends and renewing old acquaintances were a superb icing on the cake of the wonderful music...so beloved by so many of us and music we thought we'd never hear live again.

My friend Karen even felt the magic. I had told her that I was going to embarrass her by lip syncing every song. After the show she told me how much she enjoyed it, that the fans were incredible, and that it wasn't just me lip syncing - it was "every single person in the whole place!"

Can honestly say I don't think I've ever experienced any other evening that was quite as literally perfect as that one was. I have a huge smile on my face right now just thinking about it. Gracias again, ec*, to you and the rest of the band for making it happen.

*susana*

It was funny. Magic, electricity, chemistry, I felt all these things at the Cleveland show, and why not? I'm not a big concert goer, but in my limited experience, it was the best show I have ever seen. But, there was something more going on here. At the dinner get together at Otto Moser's (Thanks again, Trindy), I got to meet quite a few people from this board. I was waiting for the wife by the entrance to the theater and I was amazed by the looks on the faces of the people filing in. I recognized many of my new acquaintances heading for their seats and the looks of joy and anticipation were not to be believed! In fact, the whole crowd seemed totally wired on happiness. I never noticed this before at any other event I have been to. Everyone was on a total "up", and that made it one special night.

And, as far as after is concerned, I don't think I wiped that silly, satisfied smile off my face for about a week!

Well done, Guys. Very well done indeed!

Reid

• 5 weeks later...

For me was Chicago also the first live Raspberries experience, I remember it was very cold that night when I walked back to my hotel but it looked as I was flying. They really rocked the place that night and my finest moment was that Eric after the show came to me with the words: "You came all the way from Holland?? Than you must be Wim Vriezen!

Never will forget that magical night...

The Chicago show was great, I remember driving down to the venue, my wife commented that she felt like we were dating again. There was magic in that cold air for sure, but it was more than just going to a concert, it was almost like a reunion of old friends. I remember meeting Gina, Marvin, Beatle Jay, Sterling and many more. After the show I remember meeting Michele Cervoni-Anderson, and her original Raspberries page was where I met many of the fans on the net. Perhaps the biggest moment to me was when the band played "Overnight Sensation" Hit Record, when the radio starts playing I looked around the venue and the faces of the people told the whole story. I have never seen a happier crowd in my life, yes that night, those of us who always believed and "got it", were alongside those who discovered and those who re-discovered, the magic that is Raspberries. The band had the whole venue that night, and those in attendance would testify to what music can mean to people.

• Raspbernie changed the title to I Was There