Goosebump Guitar Work

Brian Mc Carthy

I'm different in that I love longer instrumental jams led by a great lead guitar. I love it when a band exits the singing parts, takes off and rocks for 2 or 3 minutes. And I wish the Raspberries had done more of this (see "I'm A Rocker" on the live album). When they rocked, they were as good as anybody, IMHO.

Lastly, the guitar riff intro to "Go All The Way" is good and gets all the talk from us. But to me, the intro riffs to "Ecstacy" blow it away. Ecstacy's riffs are maybe the best openers I've ever heard.

All the guitar parts in "Ecstacy" absoutely kill!

In reference to James' jamming comment, I got the opportunity to see Wally jam onstage with the Drysdales during a cd party they held. They has invited Scott McCarl to join them, and he in turn got Wally to join him for the show. Wally, Scott and the Drysdales did a 12 minute jam of the old Traffic song "Feeling Alright" in which Wally got to really let loose. I remember this especially because someone in the crowd bellowed out loudly "where the F@#@#@ has this guy been hiding, he's F@@@@##$ awesome. Indeed he was that night. The magic about Wally is, he plays what the song or group calls for, not for just being a "guitarslinger". In Raspberries, he is the ultimate complete guitarist, such as those mentioned in other posts, much like Elliot Easton of the Cars. In my opinion, he takes the George Harrison style to a new high with his lead work as well as the harmonics and other magic he throws into the songs. Like Eric has said, after auditioning "a jillion players" it came down to Jim and him that Wally was THE player for Raspberries. Wally can shred with the best of them, but he is better than that, the music comes first.

Nice post Hosskratz. I'd have liked to see the 12 minute jam with Wally & The Drysdales.

It seemed most here didn't like The Drysdales when they backed up The Raspberries in Chicago, but I was in the minority. I thought they rocked pretty good. I can imagine they'd sound good in tandem with Wally.

The show did rock, it was in Mundelein. While we are talking about it, another reason Wally puts out the magic, Eric, Dave and Jim, they make a tight unit for Wally to work with. That's the magic of music, complement each others strong points rather than upstage or overpower. Check out the youtube video of Wally and Jesse Bryson performing Princes, Wally's work really brings back memories of Raspberries.

• Raspbernie changed the title to Goosebump Guitar Work