Boz Scaggs ("We're All Alone")

LC

"We're All Alone" is easily one of my favorite ballads ever. I don't listen to enough Boz Scaggs, though I really dig his music.

Back in the Boats Against the Current era, Boz's Silk Degrees was one of the other LPs I'd play a lot. It's solid from top to bottom, and it holds up VERY well. I've always liked that husky, soulful voice.

Anyway, "We're All Alone," a live performance in Japan:

Yep, I did mean Silk Degrees. A real classic.

Re: "We're All Alone": It's funny.... I never read the lyrics to the song, although there are a couple words that were hard to understand. So I looked 'em up online and also on a Boz album, and found that a lot of Web sites are wrong. For example, all the sites I looked at (including MTV and VH1) stick "Amie" in the second verse instead of "ami" (which is how it appears on Boz's Hits! album.) But we already knew we can't believe everything we read online....

WE'RE ALL ALONE
(Boz Scaggs)

Outside the rain begins
And it may never end
So cry no more
On the shore, a dream
Will take us out to the sea
Forevermore, forevermore
Close your eyes ami
And you can be with me

'Neath the waves
Through the caves
Of hours long forgotten now
We're all alone, we're all alone
Close the window, calm the lights
And it will be all right
No need to bother now
Let it out, let it all begin
Learn not to pretend
Once a story's told
It can't help but grow old

Roses do, Lovers too,
So cast your seasons to the wind
And hold me dear, oh hold me dear
Close the window, calm the light
And it will be all right
No need to bother now
Let it out, let it all begin

All's forgotten now
We're all alone, all alone
Close the window, calm the light
And it will be all right
No need to bother now
Let it out, let it all begin,
Throw it to the wind, my love
Hold me dear
All's forgotten now, my love
We're all alone

Marv, I think you're referring to the placement of the song on Boz's Hits! album, right? You should write to him and take him to task for putting "We're All Alone" on his Hits! album. How dare he!

Just teasing. Seriously, it belongs on an Scaggs compilation, IMHO --- just like "That's Rock'n'Roll" belongs on an Eric hits compilation. After all, he didn't call the album "My Hits," just Hits!...

I'm in total agreement, Marv: Rita Coolidge did a nice job with "We're All Alone," but Boz's version is the best. In fact, you can find vids of Boz doing it live in the 1980s (with those huge shoulder pads!), 1990s, and 2000s, and he sounds great doing it every time. He really immerses himself in it.

Eric Carmen said:

I hired Jeff Porcaro because of this song. His drum part on "We're All Alone" was why I wanted him on "Boats Against The Current', 'Love Is All That Matters", "She Did It" and "She Remembered."

Wow! He did such a nice job on it --- subtle but stylish and noticeable. It's interesting to know that Jeff's work on "We're All Alone" inspired a call-up from you. Good stuff -- thanks for that!

It's funny... there's something about "We're All Alone" that has always reminded me of you, Eric. Maybe it's the tone, or the way it one of those "pure" or "honest" songs. It's sort of "Let's Pretend"-ish, but from on older guy -- less urgent, more romantic, as it were.

In fact, there's a thread somewhere around asking folks what songs they'd want you to record if you were to do a covers album, and "We're All Alone" is one I would toss in there.

sadiis@yahoo.com said:

LC .... that is so funny you started this thread..I was listening to a bunch of music and came upon Boz...and have been playing him steady for about a week...I'd forgotten just how beautiful that song was and how good the album is...however,,, not much of a Lido Shuffle fan...

Ah, great minds...! Me too. Silk Degrees was always such an uplifting record to put on, and so is Boz's Hits! collection. And I hadn't listened in a while. He's a pretty underrated guy. I've never even seen him in concert, but I see at his web site that he's still doing some touring.

marlene said:

Thanks for posting this one, LC. I LOVE Boz, and "We're All Alone" is so hauntingly beautiful...<sigh> :heartpump:

Hey! Where have you been, Marlene? I haven't seen you around much, my friend.

Yeah, "hauntingly beautiful" is the right phrase for "We're All Alone." Stays in your head.

Also, for Kirk -- and Darlene and Elle and Dan and anyone else who also loves "Harbor Lights" -- here's a link to Boz playing it at that SF date, in case you hadn't seen it. For me, "Harbor Lights" was always right up there with "We're All Alone." Actually, there are no klunkers on that album, from "What Can I Say" and "Georgia" to "It's Over" and, yes, "Lido Shuffle" (which I always liked). I'm not sure, but "Lido" was probably my introduction to Boz. Anyway, "Harbor Lights" -- this will knock you out....

Eric Carmen said:

I hired Jeff Porcaro because of this song. His drum part on "We're All Alone" was why I wanted him on "Boats Against The Current', 'Love Is All That Matters", "She Did It" and "She Remembered."

P.S.: I was looking for an OLD version of "We're All Alone," back when JPorcaro toured with him. No luck, but I did find this "Lido Shuffle" with Jeff on drums:

Thanks for the "cool" video of "We're All Alone". I saw that someone had posted on youtube that Boz was "the emotional freezer"!

As for Jeff Porcaro, it is evident that he was a talented drummer....and so sad he left us so soon.

BTW: LC, I tried to reply to your PM, but your inbox is full- you'll have to delete some of your PMs in order to receive more.