This May Bore The Non-Musicians Out There

hollies65

I kind of agree...I read he did all the charts for all those hot shit musicians. When you see Nick Venet's name on a Beach Boys album as producer, you can bet your butt he was sitting back watching a genius do his thing...he has admitted as much. I think Brian was just as good ...if not better...than Spector by the time of 'Today'.

This is one that needs to be filed under "What if?" - what if Brian hadn't gone over the deep end, what kind of music would he have produced?

By the time "Pet Sounds" and "SMiLE" were being recorded, he was already fighting demons, so maybe those two recordings would have even come out differently.

"Wouldn't It Be Nice" by the Beach Boys= "Ticket To Ride" by the Beatles.

In my opinion, these two songs are the quintessential songs for my two favorite groups of all time. They both happened at what I would consider the "peak" of their creativity.

I'm sure lots of people will disagree, but, for me, these are the best.

I can't think of two other tracks that define The Beatles and The Beach Boys better.

hollies65 said:

Yep. He still put out such an incredible amount of great music. Where are the young guys like him now?

Don't you sometimes wonder whether those young people are the exact kind of musicians that the current "music industry," if that actually still exists, seems to avoid? It's either that, or it is that those people are under our nose as we speak, and we haven't "lived" with their music long enough to recognize how durable it is.

Eric Carmen said:

Brian is genius. Like Mozart. Period.

i LOVE Lennon and McCartney, but, frankly, Brian leaves them in the dust. There is no other composer in the modern era that compares with Brian Wilson except Burt Bacharach, and people like Henry Mancini, Leonard Bernstein, and Richard Rogers.

That's true. Brian is amazing. It's an inexplicable quality. He can "stack" tone clusters of human voices in a way no one else can. Sometimes John Rutter comes close, but what Brian does is even more universal. I'm sort of tired, and I don't know if I'm being clear, but Brian Wilson's music surprises, even at the thousandth listen. It's hard to contain in words. It's a je nais sais quoi of both melody and harmony.

hollies65 said:

Certainly great examples of their best work...any arguing would be solely personal preference.

'Let Him Run Wild'

'Things We Said Today'

I just wanted to post these two songs ...because they are in my Beatles - Beach Boys top tens.

Those are great. I'm a "Ticket to Ride" and "Paperback Writer" kind of guy. Close behind is "Every Little Thing," which I think is the great underrated Beatles song.

With Brian Wilson, I'm "God Only Knows" and "Wouldn't It Be Nice," with "In My Room" being my close runner-up.

Eric, we are on the same page in regards to the Brian Wilson / Burt Bacharach. They are giants. But Brian could sing like an angel [sorry Burt].

As a matter of fact...there is something about the verse chord progression of 'Let Him Run Wild' and Bacharach's 'Wives and Lovers' [Which I also love] that is similar...I don't know...I'd have to go break em down.