Sad Day at the Derby

MJ

Seven Belles the fillie who came in 2nd - broke both ankles after the race ended and collapsed - they had to put her down immediately - what a sad day for the owner and trainers - but what a great spirit she had to finish 2nd.

frown

i'm really starting to hate horse racing,like have being against grehound racing..all about humans making money off of them for their/not/the actual animals needs..look at the grehound life if they dont win,if you all dont know,you better do your research..it's not all pretty..same w/ horses..its wrong..lol,chris

Hi Chris:

There's a Greyhound racing track in the town just north of Naples where I reside. I can't tell you how many racing dogs have been rescued and now live in my community. Greyhounds are wonderful, docile dogs......and INCREDIBLE athletes. I agree it's an absolute shame. I've never been to a dog race in my life...and never care to do so.

John

I know there is the other side to it - to see these animals up close and to see how excited they get when they know they are going to race is pretty awesome.

Raspy, you are so right - when you have 2000 pounds landing on one delicate ankle and 2 of them snap, they need to reevalute their breeding processes.

they do things to greyhounds to "hype" them up before the races that are really cruel,most people think they lead a good life..noyjing could be further than the truth..my mom had 3 adopted ones years ago and were the sweetest dogs in the world..yet i've seen the ones up for adotion that have no soul or life in their eyes at all..and wonder if it happens to the racing horses too..your all right,something needs to change ...lol,chris..damn my spelling again earlier!! always do it when i get emotional about something!!!!!! lots of bad spelling,chris

One of the local radio talk shows was commenting on the speed with which Eight Belles was dispatched by officials. There was some comment on the possibility of ham-fisted jockeying might be responsible for the injury. Probably plenty of blame to go around and the truth has a way of getting lost in the shuffle.

You are so right, Boo'. I have never understood why some people feel the need to involve animals in activities in which they can be maimed or killed, just to make a buck. It makes me sick.

My boyfriend adopted an abandoned race horse 2 years ago. Previous owners continued to race Sleuthing even though he had an injured leg. Totally despicable! And then when he could no longer race, instead of caring for an animal that made them hundreds of thousands of dollars, they abandon him. I'm happy to say he has a loving family now, his leg has healed, and he's living the high life now. He never has to race again. He's one of the gentlest horses I know.