Thanksgiving memories

Matthew C. Clark

I remember watching the Thanksgiving Day Parades on CBS back either in 1976 or 1977 & the host the late William Conrad played a super hero. eek What happened was William was dressed up as something like Superman. At the end of the segment, he says "gooooonnnnne" & the picture goes to black & William says "Where Am I?" I thought that was funny. haha Back then, CBS showed the Philadelphia parade first, then it was Macy's in New York City, then it was the Hudson's parade (which is now called Marshall Fields) in Detroit. Then CBS showed film instead of videotape of the Hawaii parade hosted by the late Jack Lord ("Hawaii Five-O"). Last but not least, they showed the Santa Claus Parade in downtown Toronto, Ontario Canada. After that was done, William Conrad sang (with the man on piano) Christmas songs while the credits were rolling & that was it. Too bad that the website: www.tvparty.com (TV Party) doesn't have the clip of Bill playing the super hero. mad Matt

wink I remember that Santa Clause Parade, with Jack Lord, I'm a HAWAII Five-o Fan.

I watched it on television, that parade was fantastic.

I miss Jack Lord. "book em, Dan-o"

The Bugaloos, Phyllis Diller is my favourite.

OK, Here's one, Hatsville", with that comedian, Oh what's his name?

The show's like H.R. Pufnstuf.

It wasn't Phyllis Diller, it was the late Martha Raye (known as the big mouth) who died back in October of 1995 who played Benita Bizarre on "The Bugaloos" on NBC. It was Charles Nelson Reilly who was the magician on "Lidsville" starring Butch Patrick (former "Munsters" actor) on ABC back in 1971. Charles also was on "Match Game" on CBS & in Syndication with the late Gene Rayburn who died back in 2000. Charles was also on the new "Match Game" on ABC back in 1991-1992 but hosted by Ross Shafer who also replaced Joan Rivers & hosted "The Late Show" on FOX back in 1987-1988. Matt

I also remember the Detroit Lions (with quarterback Eric Hipple) against the Pittsburgh Steelers (with Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, etc.) & the Lions beat the Steelers on Thanksgiving by a score of 45-3 back in 1983. Back in 1997, the Lions (with Barry Sanders) beat the Chicago Bears by a score of 55-20 which was the second largest of points in Detroit Lions history. The record is 59 points back in 1957 when the Lions beat the Cleveland Browns in the NFL Championship Game 59-14 & the Lions last appearance in a championship game. mad Matt

my Thanksgiving memories....waking up with a SERIOUS hangover...eating like a pig, and falling asleep watching a football game,AND THEN GOING TO WORK ON FRIDAY....this year it will be different.....

playing out wed nite, so no hangover, just ringing ears, getting up to cook for MY KIDS,

barely eating at all, AND GOIN TO THE RASPBERRIES ON FRIDAY!!!!

Hey Matthew, You know, as soon as I left the post about Hatsville, it hit me, I thought it was LIDSVILLE.

I turned my computer off, and it hit me.

I guess their's two things in common, with Martha and Phyliss, they both have big mouths and good character.

That's why I got the wrong answer.

Matt, can I ask you something, is Phyllis Diller still hanging around, OR did she kick the bucket?

Phyllis Diller is still alive & well. Saw her on Larry King Live last year on CNN. By the way, Butch Patrick did a remake of the Bee Gees "I.O.I.O." on Metromedia Records back either in early 1972 but the song NEVER charted. Butch did NOT released an album for Metromedia back then. Also, Johnny Whitaker song "Friends" (NOT the Bette Midler remake) on Chelsea Records & the album "Music From Sigmund And The Sea Monsters" (1973) did NOT chart on Billboard. Matt

• 11 months later...