Ordering Page Active For Smalley's CD!

MAM

Ok marvin, now you've done it! smalleys best moments could'nt hold a candle to anything on WD!

if eric carmen had never been a raspberry (or is that a raspberrie), dave smalley would be completely unknown. i'm sure you could'nt say the opposite. smalleys songs have always been 3rd rate eagles/bread rip-offs! dave should thank his lucky stars that he was ever a part of anything that eric was involved in! to imply that they are close to equal in talent is a pure fantasy.

Greg

Does it really matter if anybody is equal in talent to anybody else? I posted the fact that the ordering page for Dave's cd is active because there are people here who really liked his Berrie material! For crying out loud, he was 1/4 of a really great band. Obviously you don't care, but there are plenty of people on this board who do. angry

Well said MAM. I think we all forget, since this is the EC site, that Eric was one of four or six really talented musicians who made up a really great group. I think it would be very fair to say that if it weren't for the Raspberries, Eric wouldn't be where he is today.

I don't know what took Dave,and Scott for that matter,so long damm long to produce a CD, but I'm glad they did.

Steve-O

i disagree Steve-o,

eric had a career post 'berries. as a matter of fact, there are folks who know eric from "all by myself" and beyond that don't even know he was in the raspberries!

in my opinion, only scott and wally were close to eric in terms of talent...

MAM don't be offended, i was responding to marvins slam on WD.

smalley has a new cd, i'm glad he has continued making music, but you are right, i wont be purchasing it and dont really care to hear it. smalley was a "role" player on a great team, no shame in that. all great sports teams have "superstars" and "role" players, but you certainly cannot say that they were all equal in talent.

if you still insist, get your 'berry cd/lps out and look up who wrote what songs....eric was the "go to guy" and its as simple as that.

Gregkevinw, No one agrees with you more than I do about Eric's monumental talent. I also see Eric as a very discerning individual as far as to those he chose to work with or not to work with. He obviously recognized talent in Dave Smalley or he wouldn't have worked with him at all. Eric doesn't strike me as the type to tolerate mediocrity in any musical endeavor, or much else either. So I have to believe he considered Dave (and all of the other Berries he chose to work with) very talented. You may see Dave as sounding like an Eagles "offshoot" or whatever, but, Eric, who had a real "up close and personal" working relationship, obviously saw a lot more in Dave, despite the fact that some personal and stylistic divergences came up later.

smile --Darlene

P.S. (And I'm NOT rubbing it in, Bernie) Having heard both sets of Raspberries perform live, I can say without reservation that they were both great. No doubt about it. It was the first group that captured my attention big time--they had such a totally magical vocal blend, that the first time I heard them, it was on the CAR RADIO, and the vocal sound was so magic, I almost had an ACCIDENT! While I truly believe the magic ingredient that gave the group most of its gorgeous vocal color was Eric's voice, and that chemistry his voice had with Wally's, Dave Smalley was very much a part of that sound. The second group of Raspberries was pretty magic also, and had "that sound" with Eric (and Wally) at its base, but was different. Both groups were absolutely electric, but Dave was definitely a great contributor to the sound of the original Raspberries. Denying that wouldn't be fair.

smile --Darlene

GregkevinW, I never implied that Dave was more talented than Eric. All I said was that the music on Dave's new cd would be more satisfying (to me) than what was on "Winter Dreams." I don't have to harp on why I don not like "WD." It is placid, AC music at best, and for me, a total disappointment. If you like that cd, that's ok. For me, it's easily one of the most disappointing discs in my music collection - because I was expecting so much more.

As far as calling Dave's music "3rd rate Eagles/Bread rip-offs", you can't blame Dave for showing off his influences. Eric makes his BB, the Who, Beatles, Small Faces, etc. influences very very obvious, and I don't see anyone calling him a rip-off. Take care and I hope you do give Dave's disc a chance.

Regards,

MARVIN

Good News: Dave's CD pre-orders just past up Hillary's book sales on Amazon.com! And here's an irony: Dave new Bubba Bill was gettin' a little on the side before Hillary did, according to her...the so-called smartest woman in America. Geeez...I mean...Way to go Dave!

Hey, "Should I Wait" is a good song. Let's see if Dave can go for 2 or 3 in 30 years.

I for one don't give a hoot that it's taken Dave 30 years to put out a solo disc. We should be grateful that with the advent of the Internet there is actually an outlet for Dave, Wally etc. to bring their music to the public. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy Dave's disc, but I believe that he still deserves the support.

MARVIN

Okay, first off, I don't get why certain people feel the need to put Dave down for releasing a CD, and to denigrate the quality of that CD before they've even heard it. Does doing that somehow make Eric look better? And what any of this has to do with Hillary Clinton is a total mystery. I think some people just like to inflict pain on others because their own lives are so sad and meaningless.

Second, let's not forget that Dave had a hit record way before Eric did (It's Cold Outside), and Eric himself has complemented Dave's writing many times, particularly on the "Fresh" LP.

Finally, as hard as it is for some of you to believe, there are people who do actually prefer Dave's songs and voice to Eric's. It's all subjective, isn't it? Sales and quality are not synonymous. Personally, I liked "Pop Teasers" and "Someone Like You" more than any ex-berrie tunes I've heard in the last 10 years, Scott, Eric, Wally and Jim included. Now tell me what an idiot I am.

Dougjack I totally agree with your statements. I'll take "Someone Like You" over most of the **** on "WD" - but as you say, it's all subjective. With that thought in mind, I'd also take anything on Scott's "Play On" over anything on "Refreshed." I am looking forward to Dave's disc and will fully support his efforts.

MARVIN

If you were a fan of any of Dave's music, pre or post Raspberries, you will definitely dig his new CD. It's a fine blend of Eagles-flavored country rock and catchy power pop tunes that could easily mistake themselves for lost FRESH outtakes.

I agree with all of the previous posters who have given Dave a high five for satisfying his many fans.

"Someone Like You" is a great, great song, possibly his best since "Should I Wait," and that was one pretty fine track! --Bernie

tony, let me help you with "someone like you"...

think of poco's "in the heart of the night" and substitute the phrase "someone like you" and that should get you in the "ballpark."

dougjack, let me first welcome you, (as our newest member) to ericcarmen.com, where voicing your opinion does'nt normally get your quality of life questioned, and we are all free to speak our minds without fear of insult.

my original response was re: marvin's statement that daves new cd would probably be better than anything on WD!(for the record i normally do not respond to marvins posts because he and i seem to have pretty much the same opinions on musical matters).

I have nothing against dave smalley, i'm sure he contributed to the raspberries in his own unique way, and i hope he continues to release cd's for his fans for many years to come.

i will not be purchasing his cd based on the fact that of his 5 solo (as in written) raspberrie tunes over the first 3 'berry cd's, the only song i would not skip over is "should i wait".

it's not personal, it's preference....and if "someone...& pop teasers" are the best ex-'berry songs in the last ten years, than they should all stay semi-retired.

buy the way, email me when davesmalley.com celebrates its 400,000 "hit" and i will be the first in line to congratulate you!

now, as far as that scott mccarl cd is concerned, i would love to buy a copy. i'll always feel that we lost alot of great songs when the mccarl/carmen writing duo was cut short.

greg

Ok, Even without hearing Dave's music I'll bet He is writing just as well as Madonna's last few CDs.

I haven't liked any of her boring hits since "Take A Bow". Even the "Ray of Light" CD just had a good producer. It makes me wonder how much she really contributed to the co-writing of her earlier hits. Maybe just some words...

But anyway...Way to go Dave!

Greg don't you have Scott's disc? I was one of lucky first few to get an autographed copy from Scott and in a collection of over 2500 albums, cd', and 45's, it is easily one of my most treasured possessions. Email off the list and I'll get a copy to you.

MARVIN

angry

I have been off for a week, so I have been missing all the "fun"....HEY Cartmill...man...I think you should tear down the EC poster you have on the ceiling above your bed,....put away the kleenex and stop smoking whatever it is your smoking...EC has written and produced some great music, but he does not have a monolpoly on talent. I have played The Raspberries to countless musicians and most of the listeners prefer Wally's, Scott's and Dave's tunes over the EC stuff. Most poeple can't stand the whine in EC voice,( I like it) nor the sappy ballad action. As far as your sarcasm goes, congratulations on having a fine grasp of this charater trait. You can't stand DS? Fine! Why not? But to put EC above all else makes thou looketh like a faneth obsurdeth.

I know I'll be happy to sit back, have a cold one and listen to melody, harmony and songs from the heart. And Eric's WD was a disappointment indeed, for me. If you loved it, that's cool. you don't want to listen to Dave's CD....that's cool too...

I'll listen to it and write my review. Not comparing it to anything...if it speaks to my heart and to my ears it will be my summer album...

I hope it's so freaking good that it will inspire EC to put out something better than he's ever put out.

Bahoo...the idjit Canadian

Bahooooooo, I thought we all agreed that without Eric's songwriting talent, the Raspberries would only be known in the Cleveland area, as a decent club band with a killer lead guitarist. I know there is other talent out there. But I don't like songs just because the musicians who record them are good. The song has to be good too. These days, besides "Dormant" Carmen, I listen to new Chris De Burgh, John Mayer, Kyle Vincent and Westlife. I like my music melodic with strong choruses and sappy haunting ballads. With the exception of "Should I Wait", I don't get that from Dave. I'll wait for Marvin, Greg, Kirk and others to advise me if Smalley's songwriting skills have improved with the new CD. Then I'll borrow your credit card to buy it online. Okey Dokey?

Bahoooooodore, I LIKE the "whine" in Eric's voice!

What you call a "whine" helped put Raspberries on the charts. Eric is a "musician's musician" and I can't imagine what kind of musicians don't like his songs. Sappy ballads????!!!!I'll bet a lot of the musicians your friends idolize wrote some ballads they adore which are "sappier" than those Eric wrote, but they don't call them sappy. What would make them appreciate the talent he has--if he wore punk clothes and ran around onstage burping and grabbing his crotch? Some people who call themselves musicians are the most insensitive and crass. Don't know if your friends are like that, but I'll just bet some of their idols put out ballads that are dripping "sap." Just a thought...

smile --Darlene

Darlene,...reread my post...I TOO LIKE THE WHINE...but many musician friends don't.

As for the sappy ballads...there is a difference between a heart-felt composition that was inspired by deep rooted emotion, and cleverly crafted IKEA-constucto-3-D puzzle ballads that grew from an intellectual understanding of how music, chords and hooks are assembled. For me emotionally written songs will win the contest every time. There are only a few of ECs ballads that truly "talk" to me, that I feel EC actually "FELT" what he's written. As for the uptempo tunes, he is a master when he wants to be.

As far as Eric being the reason that the Berries made it out of Cleveland. I would agree that he had an important role, as composer and musician. My sense of observation also leads me to believe that EC also wanted it all "now". His power of persuasion, craftiness and manipulation managed to help the Raspberries grow on the vine too quickly, without allowing the fruit to ripen.

This leading to a break up of 6 musicians who, when really "together", produced some of the best Pop ear-candy ever recorded.

Remember that when Eric produced "Boats" he wanted complete control on his product. The results were less than a good investment. (from a financial perspective) Personally I like that album!

No man can be successful alone, and to turn a blind eye to Wally, Dave, Jim , Scott and Mike as important contributors is a snub, a sham, a shame and a slam. Who really knows how the songs back then were really written?...Back then bands usually lived together night and day, 24/7,...they wrote and wrote and wrote..they sang together, doped together, harmonizing, finding the licks that tickle their fancies...I find it hard to believe that Eric waved them off saying, "It's cool,...I'll write them alone...I can do it myself".....and if he did, shame on him for being so individualistic.

Oh...and CARTMILL, Why use mine since YOU are the "Master Card"!!!!!!!!

eek

Bahoo AKA Thomas