This post is not meant to evoke sympathy.....

hollies65

It is a tribute to my dog Kato. I got Kato over 14 years ago...I did not want a dog at the time, always remembering the grief I had when Duke [My first dog] was put down.Elisa brought the pitbull mix home from the pound, and we took to each other quickly.He was a vey gentle dog, and a big dope. A better friend would be hard to find,when I was home he could not stand not to be next to me..and for years would jump on our bed in the middle of the night...somehow, despite his 85 lbs,undetected until I woke up in the morning pushed to a tiny portion of the bed, while he lay there spread out. Even after hitting the 10 yr old mark, he would demand, with his frisbee in his mouth to go out back and play.

Kato slowed down alot the last two years, I had been carrying him up the stairs at Elisa's house for a year before I moved out. He had, as we would later discover, a degeneratve spinal disease that was causing him to lose control of his back legs...he was an absolute trooper the whole time. I didn't get to see Kato much the last couple of years, but he was always as thrilled as I was to see his old pal when I did visit.

We put Kato to sleep this morning. I brought him to my house yesterday to spend a few hours with him by myself, then took him to his home to spend his last night, so Fresca and the kids could say goodbye. Kato was truly a great dog. I know we gave him a great life, but it paled in comparison to what he gave us.

All of us who loved and love animals in our life understand how you feel,hollies.Our soon to be 14 year old collie mix is slowing down,has had a couple surgeries and is on medications now for thyroid and allergies.I never regret spending these last 2 years (for him and my mother)home and not working so I could respond to their now ever changing needs.Be glad you had the oportunity to know him.

Steve, thanks for sharing your memories of Kato. It's the most heart-wrenching decision to say good-bye to such a dear friend, but it's also the kindest decision. You did the right thing for Kato, and his memory will live in your heart until you meet again. "Heaven... where you'll meet all the dogs you ever loved". In the meantime, please know that you are in my thoughts & prayers.

H-65,

I feel for ya.... It's tough to lose a pet. We get so close to them that they become family.

It sounds like Kato had a great life. As someone said to me when I had to put our two cats down (a couple years apart), the last really nice thing we do for our pets is to let them go when it's time.

Best,

Larry

hollies , real sorry to hear pal. dogs are some of the best people i know. mine is a victim of the pet food poison recall, w/ terminal kidney damage. i have to give her subcutaneous fluids every other day (for almost 2 years now) & she's been a real trooper. she won't live too long, but is doing ok for now. i hope you got some nice pics of your furry friend to remind you over the years how awesome they are, real sorry you had to say goodbye at this time tho', i'm sure he was the best

Sorry Steve...My dog Styxx was originally gotten for my son Jake...and of course he became mine and as it turned out he's the only thing in my life that I love consistently,non-judgementally,and with the same totality that he loves me.

I don't mean to be presumptuous...but I think I know how you feel.-Ira.