Queen reunites (sorta)

hbecstacy

In this year of reunions (including one very special in our hearts) comes news of yet another reunion, sorta kinda...

Queen has announced it will tour in 2005 with singer Paul Rodgers of Bad Company replacing Freddie Mercury.

In this case, Queen will most likely consist of guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor. Bassist John Deacon has refrained from Queen activity (such as the band's induction into the R&R Hall of Fame) and probably won't take part.

May's said the team-up with Rodgers came about as a result of a recent performance together. The plan is to do some Queen material, some Bad Co. songs, and other "appropriate material" (whatever that means).

I don't know about this...it's good to hear May and Taylor are working together, but maybe they should retire the name. Is it really Queen without Mercury?

There have been rumors of a Queen reunion for years...with names like George Michael and (ex Little River Band) John Farnham mentioned as replacements for Freddie. (If you think about it, Michael would probably be a good replacement in terms of his voice.)

But this tour with Rodgers? I like Paul Rodgers' voice. But to me, it would be like Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones teamed with Rod Stewart and called it Led Zeppelin. It would be interesting, sure, but would it be Zep?

Howard

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa.....say it ain't so! I'll take any incarnation of Queen. Through my life, I've had two favorite Recording Artists....Queen and Eric Carmen. To see Queen in the same year after seeing Eric with the Raspberries puts shivers down my spine. I agree, it's almost like seeing the Raspberries without Eric Carmen...but you know what...Fred is dead and nothing is going to get him to go back on tour again, so Brian and Roger will suffice!!!

Now if only they could convince Eric to be the lead singer...I'd be all set!!!!

I hear ya, Harry...50% of Queen is better than no Queen at all, and it will be great to hear those songs again, and very interesting to see what Rodgers does with them. Any reason to hear Brian May's guitar again works for me...

Apparently a jam on the Free classic "All Right Now" convinced Rodgers, May and Taylor that the combination could work. Might be very cool when you think about it...

I agree about Farnham, Marvin...but I think you're right...if they were going to do this, they needed someone with name recognition.

And maybe the best way to replace someone "irreplacable" is to get someone very different.

Hey, as long as they do "Fat Bottomed Girls"...

Howard

As stated before, I've been hearing rumours of a tour for years. I always thought that IF they did, the best possible replacements would be Billy Squier since he appeared (uncredited) on thier Hot Space LP, and Freddie appeared on one of Billy's album's. The other would be Gary Cherone. Extreme did a Queen medley at the Mercury tribute concert that was nothing short of amazing...

Jeff

Billy Squier opened for Queen the last time I saw them. I still think George Michael would have worked best...but I'll take Paul Rodgers. Bad Company were no slouches in their day either!

I'm sure there will be a real limit as to what will work with Paul...Freddie had an amazing vocal range, that has never really been duplicated in Rock and Roll. Throwing Bad Company songs in is a brillant ideal. This tour WILL sell.

I have my doubts whether Rodgers (or Eric for that matter) can hit those notes - although I'm sure Brian and Roger wouldn't have taken him on if he couldn't. Paul is unquestionably a great 'rock' singer, but much of Queen's music called for more than 'rock-styled' singing. George Michael would have been an admirable choice, but in his case, I have a suspicion he wouldn't have carried the 'legitmacy' tag that Rodgers probably does.

Marvin

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I saw Queen perform every year since their American debut opening for Mott the Hoople (sometimes more than once a year) and they just TORE UP THE PLACE each and every time. I certainly hope they don't call themselves QUEEN. I'd much prefer A TRIBUTE TO QUEEN with Brian May, Roger Taylor and Paul Rodgers (or something to that effect). I'd even look the other way if they called themselves QUEEN 2005 -- but just Queen? Nah, let's save that for Freddie, Brian, Roger and John.

Bernie

While I whole-heartedly support the "Queen without Freddie..." statement, there are very few guitarists as inventive as Brian May, and drummers as solid as Roger Taylor. For that matter, I would find it hard to see Queen without John Deacon. I tend to agree with Bernie, let's call this "Queen 2005."

Marvin

I had the opportunity to see Queen in the early 1980's in Cleveland, OH at the Richfield Coliseum. An outstanding show. The highlight for me was Freddie playing the guitar intro to "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" himself! He said that Brian May had given him a few lessons. I've seen Paul Rodgers with Bad Co. and solo, and without a doubt he has "one of the most distinctive voices in Rock and Roll" as one DJ put it. But, I would feel better if the name "Queen" was not used for the upcoming tour. It's not "Queen" without Freddie!

Brian May is an EXTRAORDINARY guitarist -- one of the absolute best! A genius!!! His BACK TO THE LIGHT solo CD was stupendous!!! Nobody has more of a right to play Queen tunes than Brian, heck he wrote or co-wrote a LARGE MAJORITY of them. Still, I hope they don't call it Queen nor use Freddie's logo for the new band. It's just wrong.

Bernie

Reportedly, the tour will be billed as "Queen and Paul Rodgers."

BTW, Bad Co. had two singers besides Rodgers...Brian Howe was followed by Robert Hart, (who sounded more like Rodgers than Howe), on "Company of Strangers" and "Stories Told and Untold" before the band folded and reunited with the original lineup.

Hart also had sung with The Distance, a group that included Tony Thompson and Bernard Edwards of Chic/Power Station fame.

Howard

Doors without Morrison? Currently on tour.

Raspberries without EC? They tried that. Remember "Refreshed"?

How about Pink Floyd without Roger Waters? Unthinkable, but they made more $$ than ever before without him singing his songs in stadiums.

I think the classiest example of what to do with this kind of situation was what happened when Jimmy Page and Robert Plant got back together some years back...they could have called it "Led Zeppelin" and made a lot more cash, but they had integrity and used their own names.

But the music business is first and foremost that--a business. And the name "Queen" has a lot more commercial power than "May, Taylor and Rodgers."

May and Taylor have guided the Queen legacy since Freddie's death--shepharding reissues of the original albums, releases of concert CDs and DVDs, and the stage musical "We Will Rock You." I guess they feel justified to use the name, because they've carried on as Queen the business entity.

Ultimately, it's all about putting butts in the seats. Without the "Q" word, this band might not even get bookings in today's nauseating Britney/Christina/American Idol marketplace.

Howard

Very nicely said Howard. There was a 'magic' between May and Mercury that can't be explained, similar to the magic that we see between Eric and Wally, and also similar to the magic that used to exist between Rodgers and Mick Ralphs in Bad Company. I loved the early-mid 1970's version of BC as I loved the same period of Queen. Seeing Rodgers with May doing Queen songs will be a rather strange experience for me.

Marvin

Thanks, Marvin.

I think of this tour like the Ringo All-Stars...you're not seeing a band, but rather a grouping of artists you like playing songs you like. Not a bad evening's entertainment, however it's billed.

And since they're promising additional appropriate material, that could mean some cover songs...for example, May did a mean version of Mott the Hoople's "All the Way to Memphis" on his second solo CD, "Another Life." I could see that working for this band.

And I'm glad artists like May, Taylor and Rodgers are still going, whatever name they tour under.

Will it be a true Queen reunion? Nah, that's impossible. Will it be a good show? I'd bet on it.

To go back to the Pink Floyd analogy, David Gilmour commented back when the band was getting going with Waters, saying something like "I could go out under my name and play to 2,000 people, or go out as Pink Floyd and play to 100,000. Which would you do?"

Howard