family dog passed over last night

rosi

I'm looking for a way to honor our family pet Trix,who died last night. I mentioned him a couple weeks ago when responding to hollies 65's post about having to put his dog down.We almost had to put him down,but our vet let us take him home,which I wanted to do,probably more selfishly for my sake.He stopped eating last week and just got weaker.He would have been 14 in January.We had to bring him home carrying him in a blanket.Up until last week he was slower,but still wanted to walk around the block and visit his favorite neighbors.Anyway,I sat by him and gave him ice chips and Italian ice to help him on his way.After 23 years as a nurse and also seeing my maternal grandmother pass over,I felt confident that I could handle it.Plus I wanted to be with him,as he has helped me so much with his devoted ways.Finally at 2:30 AM his breathing stopped.I feel he went peacefully knowing he was loved and in his home.I can't sleep yet but am hopeful tonight I'll get some rest.Tomorrow will be the test when my husband goes back to work,as the dog was a companion to me during the day since I stopped working outside the home.Please think of us,our two adult sons are having a hard time too.I was going to go on a pet loss site,but feel more familiar here.I use music a lot to help me feel better during tough times.Turn,turn,turn by the Byrds(and the Bible,although I'm not really into church)comforted me this morning.

Rosi(((hugs))))..when my cat died 4 years ago, someone posted this for me...it brought me comfort.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

So sorry about Trix, Rosi. My childhood dog, Jingles, had to be put to sleep also. His mother's name was Trixie. I feel so sorry for you. Trix had a good life because you loved him. And that's the most important thing. The memories of that love you shared will never fade.

You're in my prayers too. So is Trix.

smile --Love, Darlene

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts.I did just recently planted 2 crabapple trees in my yard,one will be dedicated to him.We live in a dog neighborhood and several of our neighbors buried the pets in the yard,(My husband always buried his childhood family pets that way also) so we did too.A good friend and neighbor said also there are garden center items to place on the site.The Rainbow Bridge I've known about for a while,as I gave it to a friend several years ago.It really helps.

My deepest sympathies Rosi, I know I've spent some sleepless nights worrying about my dog and buddy, Mia. She's having liver problems and is having an ultrasound and liver biopsy this wednesday. I can't do any more...she's still pretty up and energetic and it's going to be the quality of life issue for her and I.

thank you for sharing...it really helps!

annie

Yes, it is a sad time, Rosi. You are not alone. We had to put Mystique to sleep in August after almost 15 years. We were with her to the end, even as the chemicals were administered I held her. I think the young gal at the vets office cried harder than Ruthie.

What is rather strange is there will be times you will swear you hear him walking or his chain rattle. Ruthie and I, both, notice it to this day. In fact, I noticed it but never said a word for fear Ruthie would think I was 'losing it' but when she mentioned "the sounds" to me I was pleasantly surprised and relieved. We miss her.

If you go to this site, to the Post by Ted dated 9/12/08 you will see a photo of her.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf80267587.tip.html

It's been 3 years ago to the day when I had to let my RJ go.He had been taking chemo treatments for nearly a year and actually had his cancer in remission but his kidneys failed.At first I thought I wouldn't get another dog,but I made it about 2 weeks before I got another Sheltie,Max.But as much as I love him I still think of RJ often;once last year I was sure I saw his image in the grain of our hardwood floor

in the spot where he liked to lie down.

Rosi, even though I do not know you, you are a kindred spirit because you are an animal lover and part of this "EC/Raspberries" family. It cuts quite deep when we must part with a family member who has only ever brought joy into our lives. And so for your loss of your cherished Trix, I extend to you and your family my heartfelt sympathies. It is also so difficult in the end because they can never truly express in ways we quite 'get' as to how much pain our beloved family member is in...not to mention the difficulty of overcoming our own selfishness to keep them with us just a lil longer. I write poetry and if you are interested I would be more than willing to write something to honor the memory of your beloved "Trix' just pm me and let me know or you can equally view several of these beautiful pet loss poems at this site:

http://www.fourpawsinheaven.com/poetry/poetryindex.html

Deepest Sympathies,

*Vera* pray

teds right,i've been thru the same..and it's not that strange when you think about it..pets are our soulmates and true friends..unconditional love..there is'nt a day i do'nt think about all the dogs i grew up with and wonder how they are doing,just remember,they are frolicking in heaven right now..you gave your friend a good life,which is all they ask to begin with!! god bless Rosi..time will heal your loss..lol,chris

Oh, I'm so sorry Rosi! It's such a tough thing to go through. I read recently that you don't "get over" greif... you just find a way to live with it. That certainly makes sense to me as I continue to struggle with the loss of my "forever cat" Nikki in July. We were absolutely priviliged to have her with us for 18 years and I miss her every single day.

Ted, I know exactly what you're saying - Nikki has made her continued presence known on several occasions and I find it very comforting.

As for a tribute, there is a company called Sanctuary on Martha's Vineyard that has beautiful things: www.shopsanctuary.com

Also, www.petmemorialjewelry.com has some nice things. Or, you could make a donation to your local shelter in Trix's name.

If music comforts you, try Warren Zevon's Keep Me in You Heart - but have lots of tissues handy. Finally, this poem continues to give me great comfort:

Ascension - Colleen Hitchcock

And if I go, while you're still here...

Know that I live on,

vibrating to a different measure -

behind a thin veil you cannot see through.

You will not see me, so you must have faith.

I wait for the time,

when we can soar together again -

both aware of each other.

Until then, live your life to it's fullest.

And when you need me,

just whisper my name in your heart...

I will be there.

Take care Rosi... I'll be thinking of you.

-Margaret

Thank you all so much.I took a walk yesterday in our beautiful Ohio Indian summer weather and plenty of friends are stopping by or calling me.My brother took me to the vet's office Monday so I could thank him and his tech also. I always liked this vet,he always played good music in his office. Curiously,several years ago we were talking about music during a routine visit and mentioned his son is a drummer and occasionally was taught some things by Jim Bonfanti from the Razz.Also he sometimes was a fill in drummer for the Beach Boys when they still were touring in later years. Talk about kindred spirits.A long time friend from high school and college days (and Chesterland and Agora days) is stopping by later to take a walk in a new walking trail in Parma Heights.I still miss the pooch a lot. Thanks a lot