Massachusetts flooding

sterling

I just picked up our youngest daughter at Midway from a 4 day visit with our oldest daughter in Boston. She said it rained a lot during her visit. I see people in boats paddling around on Main St. of small towns. LC, this does not look good! How bad is it out there for some of you. Our prayers are with that whole area.

Phil

Is it just me or has the weather really gotten weird the past couple of years?

I know that things meteoroligical are cyclical, but still... Seems like there have been more hurricanes and more toronados and more instances of out of normal weather hitting places. Where I am in Idaho they seem to have had less snow during the winter, but then more rain during the early spring... In Florida, where I'm from originally and I still have family they're fighting dry conditions and drought and forest fires... already... usually spring rains keep the stuff wet and fires don't start occurring until later in the summer... and in fact, as a child growing up it seems it rained every day in the summer! (Maybe that's just a kid's memory...)

But I sometimes wonder if some of the alarmists who supported movies like "The Day After Tommorrow" are on one end; those with their heads in the sand on the other... and the truth somewhere in the middle...

I recently saw a sneak preview of "An Inconvenient Truth", a documentary which shows one of Al Gore's presentations on global climate change....and regardless of one's opinion about AG or other alarmists, some of the facts presented in this movie are just downright scary as Hell!

What makes them even scarier is the fact that so many people just see this as a political issue, and not one of potential world-wide concern.

My heart goes out to all affected in that area. I hope everyone up there is safe even if they may be wet. Having lived here in Fla the past 20yrs or so, I am very accustomed to flooding of course. It is just one of those things. The major concern is the safety of all up there in the affected area. My biggest worry would be the possibility of getting electricuted.

I can't help but wonder, however, do most people in that area have flood insurance? My homeowner's ins does not cover rising water...have to have flood ins.

Paulie, those afternoon thunderstorms that build up off of the sea breeze are still here. But not for a couple more months.

Phil,

Thanks for asking! I live/work roughly halfway between Boston and Worcester (and a little north), and our area hasn't been hit as hard as those closer to Boston, especially Peabody, MA, and the Merrimack Valley north of Boston. They're getting bad flooding there, and I feel for them. I hope things get dried out quickly here, but first the rain's gotta stop! Anyway, I hope fellow New Englanders are staying dry and safe.

I haven't started building an ark yet, but I'm thinking about it!

Thanks again for asking.

Best,

Larry

My entire family lives in the Merrimack Valley; Andover, where I grew up; Lawrence, Methuen and Tewksbury. The last time I talked with them they said 'the weathah is retahted up heah, it's rainin a wicked pissah lot. the cellah is flooded, the watah has cov'ed the cah in the pahkin lot, and we're runnin outta beah!!'

Good think I moved to Jersey!

Dave

Dave,

Good stuff! I've been in Massachusetts for only six years, so I don't have that accent, but it's unbelievably thick up here. The bad thing is, my 3-year-old daughter talks like that. It drives me crazy....

Me: Say, 'My name is Karsyn.'

Her: My name is KAHHH-sin.

Me: No, say, 'Kar-syn.'

Her: KAHHH-sin.

Well, we'll work on that....

I just found out that my mom was boat-lifted out of her 2nd floor apartment last night!!! (the first floor was already 4 feet deep with Shawsheen River water!). She's got a sense of humor about the whole thing but is 'mad as a hattah' that she didn't remember her knitting!!

Dave

JohnO, it's hard to convince people on the West Coast on global warming, as many West Coast places have been having lower temperatures than normal.

I personally dont believe that the Global Warming issue stands up....at least on its own....the

ozone layer is there to protect us from the cold as well as the heat.