Chicago Blackhawks change directions

sterling

I was reading in todays Tribune about our beloved Blackhawks. It is so nice to see the team icons Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita now being included by management in the team's activities. These guys are the forces that helped drive the team back in the 60's and early 70's. Stan played for 22 seasons and of course Bobby jumped ship in the early 70's after 15 seasons to the WHA and Winnepeg.

You hate to admit it, but Rocky taking over the reins has helped. He got John McDonough from the Cubs to take over as President. I just cannot understand how they could have treated Bobby Hull the way the did. It would be like the Cubs telling Ernie Banks to basically shove off. Would that ever happen? Not to Mr. Cub it would not. I am not sure if Bob Pulford was responsible for this or Bill Wirtz but it really does not matter. It is good to see hockey fans in Chicago are finally getting to see home games on TV after so long. YES!!!! I can't tell if the game tonight against the Predators is on TV or not but I will listen on 670 AM. I just wish they could win a game. The last game won was Dec 26 of last year. OUCH!!!!! But the numbers are looking better. That is a good thing. We can all be happy that Bobby and Stan are now officially part of this team moving forward. With younsterls like Kane and Toews, the Hawks have a bright future with a definite link to their proud past. Go Blackhawks!!!!!!

Phil

Last weeekend when the Hawks were in Mtl (first time 6 years), Montreal celebrated the Original 6 match-up by doing a tribute to the Hawks/Canadiens rivalry. They trotted out Eric Nesterenko, Steve Larmer, Al Secord, Denis Savard, Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita. It was a great show.

Phil:

Bobby Hull left the team before Bob Pulford worked for the Hawks, but Pulford was the reason he never came back. When the WHA merged with the NHL, the Hawks had an opportunity to get him back and Pulford chose not to. As angry as all Hawk fans are about Hull leaving for the Jets, Pulford did make the right decision seven years later in not bringing him back, by selecting two younger forwards off the Jets roster instead (it was part of the merger) in Terry Ruskowski and Rich Preston. Hull was really done by then, but it doesn't forgive the 400+ goals he scored earlier in Winnipeg, that should have been scored here.

However, when Bobby's son Brett was interested in coming to Chicago iin the late nineties, Pulford's relationship with Bobby is what caused it to not happen. Stan Mikita had also distanced himself from the team because of Pully.

Now that Pulford has been forced out, due to the death of Bill Wirtz, the former players are all starting to come back home.

Here is a link in today's paper detailing Hull and Mikita's return to the organization.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/

The Hawks have lost eight in a row now, but are also missing eight regulars out of the lineup through most of that streak (two regulars came back last game). Not many teams could overcome that kind of injury bug.

The game tonight against Nashville is on television on Comcast Sportsnet at 7:00 PM.

Hopefully in the words of Dick Van Patton, we''ll see if "eight is enough".

Pat,

Back in the nineties when they had Balfour, Roehnick and Chelios they had the basis of a really good team. But Wirtz dropped the ball and did not get those guys signed again. That was such a shame.

I am watching the game now against Nashville and its 0-0. Maybe they can win this one!

Phil

They still playing "Here Come The Hawks" when they take the ice? My brother is a big Blackhawks fan and has the 45 rpm. We used to listen to the games on Sunday nights here in CT on WMAQ with Lloyd Petit at the mic. Got Stan Mikita's 500th goal on tape. I am a Rangers fan (since 68) but have always liked the Blackhawks and the other original teams. (Bos,Tor,Mtl,Det)

Billy:

They play it on the organ when they come out on the ice, but not the record. It's a little known fact, but the song is performed by the Dick Marx Orchestra. The late Dick Marx is singer Richard Marx's father.

I was there when Mikita put in #500. I believe it was against Vancouver and goalie Cesar Maniago. (Can't remember what I had for breakfast, but that, I remember!)