Teenagers and MySpace

Braves fan

My son decided to get himself a MYSpace space. He was showing me what he'd done and some of the friends he had on there. I clicked on some of them, and I was bout flabberghasted at some of the "stuff" they say!! Thing is I knew most of the kids on there and I wanted to wash their mouths out with soap or scrub their finger nails or something!!!!! crazyinsane

Just call me fuddy duddy!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Ronda

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ronda:

I meant to respond to this post before now. I think your concerns about MySpace are pretty valid.

I saw a lady (maybe in her thiries) in the supermarket several weeks ago. She was wearing a tee shirt that said "MySpace Ruined My Life". One can only imagine what happened.

It's so sad that something that was meant for fun is being used the way it is by some teens. I saw a documentary a while back about webcams. Pretty bad stuff going on there, too.

Sounds like your son is a pretty good kid if he let you KNOW he was going on MySpace.

Good Luck! pray Raising kids is the toughest job in the world. Stand your ground! I'm the poster child for Fuddy Duddy! If I was raising teenagers today, they would probably hate me. smile

cool chick auntie AKA Gran

I have been "tilting at windmills" over My Space forever now it seems. It's not the only site of it's type, but it's gotten to be the biggest. Kids, and especially girls, don't seem to understand that once it's on line it's out there, in the world, and there is no reeling it back in. You post a thought or a picture on my space and invite people in, it's no different than laying those things around in your house and letting your "friends" have access to them. It would amaze and appall most people to know the kind of "innocent" pictures that make their way onto aduld sites, into photo trading sites, and what not. Girls who think it's a joke to "flash" for a picture... and just as fast the picture of them "flashing" is circling the globe...

And an innocent little "flash" is the least of what some of these kids do, in the name of fun, a dare, a joke... all the while thinking it's just their little group of friends who are looking...

And don't even get me started on webshots and photobucket... frown

Cool Chick, thanks for the reply. Oh, I can only imagine how MySpace could wreck a life or a friendship or marriage. I have kept a close eye on my son. I've already made him delete two people from his list. People he's known since kindergarten, for their "prank".

Paulie, I'm not a MySpacer myself. Doesn't appeal to me. I do know the people on my sons list, and he's set his space to private (which in this day and time may mean nothing), but he has to accept you before you can view his page. All the folks on there now are people I know, so I feel a little better about it. But, I've looked at some of the other profiles on MySpace...Girls as young as 14 "strutting" their stuff so to speak. My daughter is not allowed to even THINK about looking that way or dressing that way. I'm just old school when it comes to kids, and I think they have so little time to be children and so much time to be adults....why rush it?

Ronda

I have been "tilting at windmills" over My Space forever now it seems. It's not the only site of it's type, but it's gotten to be the biggest. Kids, and especially girls, don't seem to understand that once it's on line it's out there, in the world, and there is no reeling it back in. You post a thought or a picture on my space and invite people in, it's no different than laying those things around in your house and letting your "friends" have access to them. It would amaze and appall most people to know the kind of "innocent" pictures that make their way onto aduld sites, into photo trading sites, and what not. Girls who think it's a joke to "flash" for a picture... and just as fast the picture of them "flashing" is circling the globe...

And an innocent little "flash" is the least of what some of these kids do, in the name of fun, a dare, a joke... all the while thinking it's just their little group of friends who are looking...

And don't even get me started on webshots and photobucket... frown

Hmm...my sis often uses photobucket, what's wrong with that site? eek I agree, some of the profiles on Myspace can be very questionable, at best...especially the young 'uns..ugh!! crazy