Janet Jackson on Letterman: Geeez!

Tony Cartmill

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michelle, You sound very young and you DO know a lot about human nature in general. I was much more naive at your age. I think I learned everything in the School of Hard Knocks. I wish I had been as savvy and knowledgeable when I was your age. Tony, how does Carmen know about your eyes??? I never saw a picture of you. Where did she? I think what we know about you comes out in your playful-little-boy humor. It's very funny and I enjoy it. You, like Eric, are also very intelligent and witty. That's what I enjoy most about your posts. Until you get carried away--and then Aunt Antonietta comes out to punish you.

smile --Darlene

I'm not sure what you mean by 'you sound very young". I'm mid-thirties (or, I had my 29th birthday for the 6th time last year, as I like to put it). Does that mean that I sound immature when I write??? Probably when I write to Tony - he brings out the worst (or best, depending on how you look at it) in me!

My mom and I were discussing yesterday - yes, we've had some tough times - my dad died when I was 15, I went off to University when I was 16, got held hostage at the pharmacy I worked at, got robbed 3 times, lost all my hair to stress, nearly died when I had my baby, etc. On the other hand, I have a Master's degree, I have a job that pays more for 1/2 time than most people makr full time, I have the world's best husband, and a beautiful son who is brilliant, etc, etc., so I can't complain about my life. It really is wonderful despite a few rough patches. I assume that's where I get some of my insight into human nature - I worked with patients in the pharmacy for 7 years, so I've seen all sides of humanity. I also know that you can die at any time - so you have to enjoy what you have now - not wait until you retire and try to kill yourself working 70 hour weeks now, because, like my dad, you may never get to enjoy it.

Michelle

unless there's a rare case... and i don't believe there is... all major religions (and small ones too) have their fanatical factions of which most of the majority of inhumane actions and atrocities have been the source of... fanatical christians can be as scary as fanatical muslims--they just haven't been nearly as opressed... once anyone with a fanatical belief feels they've been unduly thwarted or cast aside by the society they will feel it's their 'god-given' right to strike back...

despite the impossibility of it all; if you took religion out of the equation, mankind would probably get along swimmingly--with the usual bumps and grinds --and it's very hard to sway believers from the fact that religion is the concoction of men who think they're divine, which as it stands (divinity, that is) is just a concept made up by humans... humans, who thought they were touched by the "hand of god"

love, on the other hand, should never be taken out of the equation... how it got swept up with a supreme being/creator or whatever you wish to wrap it up in, is just another insane thing to ponder...

Too bad John Lennon's quick fix goes against human nature. Though I admire John for thinking outside the box.

The lyrics of my 1999 song "The Soul Survives" sums up what Pierson was saying and going one step further:

"So the great debate of our existence,

the human need we can't deny.

Always searching for the true religion,

'cause we know someday we're gonna die.

Well I know that God is here inside me,

to guide my conscience through my soul.

And doing battle with the darker forces,

others have let take control..."c1999

Most creatures with our advanced intelligence cannot accept the thought that when you die, that's all there is...Worm food! We NEED to believe that we are here for a reason, and that there is more to our lives than just a random series of ups and downs, and a sliding scale of rights and wrongs. Most of us NEED to believe that if we do the right thing in this life, somehow we will be rewarded at the end and beyond.

And people NEED a set of rules or core beliefs to follow through life, and feel that their core beliefs are the right ones. And they want others to join their way of thinking. (just like on this board)

So where do we get these rules and beliefs?

1. Our parents

2. Our society and governments

And where do they get their rules and beliefs?

FROM HISTORY AND RELIGIOUS PHILOSOPHY.

All governments have rules of law based on some sort of past or present religion or religious philosophy. (Even Canada) What kind of religion is thrust upon you, depends on where you live and where you were educated in the world. I'm glad I don't live in the Middle East.

So, Sorry Lennonites. Religion is here to stay.

Whether you believe these holy books of life's rules and regulations are divine words channeled from the mouth of God, or just common sense guidelines, written by smart Godless men, trying to avoid chaos in the civilized world (Boy is that backfiring lately), religion will always be a part of the human race.

I don't think there is anyone that denies the historical Jesus. With Easter coming up, I guess you have to ask yourself, after he was crucified did Jesus defy death and arise? Was he really seen by dozens of people after he arose? No other religious leader can make such a claim. They're all still in their graves. Peace be with you. Kirk.

I read recently that in the last 3500 years there has only been peace in Earth 8 times, so it certainly does seem to be in our nature to fight. I was watching a show the other day on the universe, and I started thinking about how big it is - with all the millions and millions of other planets and stars out there, we might be the only one with living creatures on it. What an amazing mind-boggling thought - that in the massive universe we live in, that we're the only ones who know about it - and yet we pollute our land, poison the sea, and kill our fellow man. What's wrong with this picture? What would other civiilizations think if they came to our planet and realised how unique and precious our lives and world is. They'd think we were mad to live the way we do.

However, Tony'd probably right - there's something inborn in us that makes us want to fight. It's a natural survival instinct to want more for ourselves and our children than for others. A way to perpetuate 'survival of the fittest'.

Great song lyrics Tony. Didn't know you were a writer as well as a connoisseur of fine music. How much have you written in the past?

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

Tony,You don¥t like religion so much.You only are a quite megalomaniac person who needs to redeem people.You ignore the best part of religions(spirituality,compassion,charity,being a humble person).You constantly needs to redeem people,and you WON¥T never be able to do it because you aren¥t God.OK?You have to try to redeem yourself first!

Unless you're sending a lot of private e-mails to Carmen, I'm not really sure how she gets these ideas about you Tony. I've always thought you were a really cool guy with a great sense of humour, althouh a lousy taste in WD albums! wink

I always look forward to your posts, as I know they'll brighten my day. I wish I had half the sarcasm you have - I could certainly use it. Spending time here is helping me to hone my skills a bit, but I'm certainly not anything like the master.

Where on Earth does she get these ideas about you? To say you're a "megalomaniac person who needs to redeem people.You ignore the best part of religions" seems pretty harsh. Unless she's been seeing your daily life, it doesn't make sense. Hope you're not taking it too personally.

Thanks Michelle. You and I understand each other. But my journey in life has been a bit more boring than yours...so far.

Carmen just sends pleasant music info messages to me...so far. She rips me here on the Carmen stage.

Sometimes she almost makes sense and then she gets lost...in a green cloud of "Spicoli Air Freshener". crazy

But my journey in life has been a bit more boring than yours...so far.

Yeah, but I'm one of those people who can't stand things being boring. I always wanted to be a doctor when I was a child, because even then I knew I wanted a challenging job that was different every day. I'm happy to say I have a job like that - although without the good pay scale that doctor's get.

At my newest job I swore I would not be a nut magnet. It hasn't worked. No matter what job I get - I seem to bring out the weirdos. It's a good thing, I'm learning, as boring is as close to Hell as I want to get.

Tony said "I said it was Good for society to believe in God because most religions and spiritual thinkers have high standards of basic common sense right and wrong morals.I have a lot of Agnostic friends who knows perfectly what goodness and evil are.I¥d say you don¥t know what goodness and evil are,so you need a spiritual thinker or a guru to explain it to you.and why can¥t be bad for society to believe in Buddha,Allah,Yaveh,or The Sun and The Moon?

• 1 month later...

Anyone who is dumb enough to watch the Superbowl (or any other stupid show on TV for that matter) deserves whatever they get. Its not like a person watching that has anything better to do anyway.

I was at a restaurant last night with some other Americans. The restaurant people apparently thought they were doing a good thing when they played the William Hung CD for us. My friends had to tell me who he is, because I had no idea. I just cannot believe how low the standards have sunk. It was truely depressing. I never watched "American Idol" when I lived in the US (the concept of idols is repugnant to me). Upon hearing that trash CD I dubbed the show "American Moron." You just don't know how grateful I am to have quit the music business entirely. I never want to be associated with an industry which puts out garbage like that.

All one has to do nowadays is get on US television and they are a *star* eh?

Mike, William Hung was/is an American Idol reject who was so bad, but comically sincere, he became a folk hero to all of the people who can't sing karaoke, but get up and try anyway. It got him a recording contract and guest spots on all the talk shows...But he was laughed off the AI auditions. We'll give him his 15 minutes, and then move on.