Most Hated Bands of the 70's

Otis Robb

Gonna Get Flak but thank you thank you thank you

Be nice now this is only our second gig...as for the three reasons the middle one is the most accurate. Mr. Sholtz a former MIT grad put out the ROCKMAN practice pocket amp- a great one i might add. (We have one in our recording studio)

Musicianwise-That stadium sound was quite overwrought-sorry Plus he looked too much like PAT TRAVERS-ooops again. Seen em live with the James Gang and Foghat. Guess Who headlined guess who 'opened' BOB WEBB impressed me the most even though the group was there for DWIGHT TWILLEY GREG KIHN LOS LOBOS MARSHALL CRENSHAW.(should have replaced the 'F' and 'B' bands)

As for FLEETWOOD MUCK...Ms. Stephanie and Mr. ****ingham should have stayed as a sleazy Ms. Clementines Cocktail waitress and low budget ad rep!!! A disgrace BOB WELCH who was the bridge between the PETER GREEN/JEREMY SPENCER years and the forthcoming was not ACKNOWLEGED into the ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME. JUST AS IT WAS AN UNTHINKABLE CRIME THAT THE DELLS FINALLY...FINALLY got inducted into the R&R HALL OF FAME after being together with the same vocal lineup for nearly 45 years!!!!!! As one can see Im not too educated when it comes to 'popular music' and go against the grain (great Rory Gallagher album by the way) so Ill shut up and play version of Boats Against the Current by PATTI LABELLE. PEACE

looking back boston was a much needed shot in the arm for "album rock" stations back in the 70's. they are not my favorite band by far, but you can't deny their influence (good or bad), suddenly it was ok have a melody again. did sholtz break new ground,yes to a point.

as for fleetwood mac, that group should have used different names as the players changed. the peter green, bob welch FM...is nothing like the nicks/buckingham FM....its like two different groups! and it's not like the music stylings are close...one was top 40 the other AOR...

looking back boston was a much needed shot in the arm for "album rock" stations back in the 70's. they are not my favorite band by far, but you can't deny their influence (good or bad), suddenly it was ok have a melody again. did sholtz break new ground,yes to a point.

BOSTON'S DEBUT ALBUM IS LIKE A MAGIC PILL ROCK RADIO RECORD--sadly it lacks substance and, more importantly, identity... Is it good? sure. Does it matter? no. I'm not sure that forsaking identity for melodic rock is a good payoff. Look what it lead to (foreignerstyxkansasjourneyreo mania). For rock and roll to remain on the radio all you need is a formula and do it well. For rock and roll to matter (i.e. be cutting and on edge like its forefathers), it needs something much more. That's why Boston gets more airplay than any other band in the tri-state area while kids trying to capture the spirit of rock and roll wish they could be as cutting (and cool) as Eddie Cochran, Johnny Cash, Gene Vincent, Little Richard, Sex Pistols, New York Dolls and Ramones--I heard 5 cuts off "Boston" in a 30 minute span on Thursday--I'm not expecting to hear any tunes from those aforementioned artists on commercial rock radio any time soon, bar the Ramones).

And I've never heard one aspiring rocker say they want to be Brad Delp. Sure some aspire to the puppet master work of Scholz and I guess Boston were a definitive precursor to bands like Bon Jovi and Winger but that's nothing to be proud of.

If Boston hadn't been pummeled into the DNA so ceaselessly, no one would ever noticed the difference between them and bands like New England, and Starz. And Artful Dodger and The Dwight Twilley Band were SOOO much better, especially if you were a diehard Raspberries fan.

i suppose it comes down to what you want your music to do for you...for millions, the bands you mentioned..boston, journey etc, mattered to their core fans. i've never bought into the "corporate" rock thing...if you put your music out for the public to hear, and millions of them want to, thats validation. on the other hand you have bands that dont sell and say that they did not want to "sell out"! but that does'nt mean they don't have a gimmic...the sex pistols for example...their "shtick" was to try and insult as many as the main streamers as possible, including government officials....being the "anti-everything" was their gimmick. but its funny that when the money gets lean, suddenly its ok to go mainstream....rotten had a tv show on mtv & and johanson certainly "flipped" with songs like "hot , hot , hot." i tried many times to convert my boston fan friends into 'berry lovers but the 'berry cd's were just not consistent enough.

Well, the Pistols were "mainstream" in the UK from the go... going top 5 with singles etc... and being signed to major labels--all the while kicking like a mule... rotten tv did the same--get inside the system to corrupt it--or have fun... David Jo's Buster creation is pure showbiz... now he's doing more significant work...

bands like Dwight Twilley & Artful Dodger could've sold more copies if they were exposed properly, although something about both bands was limiting in their ability to reach a wider audience--Twilley was not a strong front man-- Artful Dodger never had one song that could bust them open, although their albums were strong and several songs could've done well on radio...and they had big management and Columbia records behind them...

I was summering in Boston in 1976 when I heard Dwight's opening single, "I'm On Fire." I was overwhelmed and thought that it was the best new song I'd heard since...since I heard something new by the 'berries. The song did well enough on the singles charts, but Dwight's follow-up's never achieved success. His second album, "Twilley Don't Mind" had a bunch of commercial songs on it but for whatever reason, AM radio was not listening or did not care.

Marvin