What was the first book you read?

Carmen Smalley

It¥s quite embarrasing to confess,but mine was Little Women by Louise May Alcott.Aquite twee book.I liked little Men,the other book best,when Jo and Baher have the Plumfield school.I liked Dan Specially.They got rid of him because he was a rebel guy,but Jo¥s son saw Dan somewhere in Plumfield¥s gardenand they admited him again.I like the idea of a baby admiring and loving a rebel one.

The first books I read were when I was about 3--they were "Little Golden Books," and my mother and sister read them to me first. One was "Little Black Sambo" which I adored (where the tigers run round and round the tree and become pancake batter and ultimately pancakes with tiger stripes!) and the second was "The Paper Doll Wedding" because it had the most gorgeous wedding gowns and real paper dolls and clothes to punch out and a "closet" for all the clothes in the back cover of the book! Not only did I learn to read just so I could read those two books again and again, I started drawing paper dolls and designing clothes for them till I was about 7 years old! Those books made an impression on me!

Also, I loved "The Poky Little Puppy," another Little Golden Book. Wow, can't believe I remember back that far!

smile --Darlene

Darlene, I love the story of Little Black Sambo! I recently discovered that the original Sambo's restaurant still exists in Santa Barbara (the chain of Sambo's restaurants used to extend all over the US, I think), and still sells the series of postcards that depict the story of how Sambo loses his clothes to the tigers who then fight over them and turn into butter (or is it batter, as you wrote above?).

Jennifer

Laura, You're right, it was BUTTER, not batter!

His mother then used the butter to make the pancakes which had tiger stripes. I used to tell my mother I wish she could put tiger stripes in my pancakes!

Now I remember hearing about the restaurants. I would LOVE to visit that one and get some postcards! Thanks for sharpening my fuzzy memory on a great story!

smile --Darlene

Craig, Oh, the Hardy Boys (I was in love with them!) and Nancy Drew too. When I was 8 - 10, those books really symbolized "romantic adventure" in my mind! I used to think that Nancy and her friends should meet the Hardy Boys and theirs and all get married! (In a perfect world...)

Then I found out that "Carolyn Keene" (the author of Nancy Drew) was a guy or later even SEVERAL guys, and Franklin W. Dixon was probably also.

I somehow felt so betrayed! However, nothing ever did it for me in those days like "The Mystery at the Ski Jump (I went around for weeks with my friend making up code words like 'Dunston', etc.)

and "The Clue in the Crumbling Wall."

smile --Darlene

"The Clue in the Crumbling Wall" was one of my favorite Nancy Drew books, too, Darlene. That and "Mystery of the Fire Dragon," and "Clue of the Leaning Chimney." Regarding the Sambo's restaurants, they actually used to call their butter "tiger butter" in their menus, and had a Tiger Club that kids could join for free meals, newsletters, stuffed tigers, etc. Talk about targeting kids! I was a devoted fan and still have fond memories of it all.

The first books that I ever read were, "Little house on the Prairie" books, by Laura Ingalls Wilder. When I started reading her books I was just absolutely fascinated by the wild west and how this particular family lived and survived. We are so, so spoiled today, that we take for granted just what we have and how easy we have it. Think about it? smile

I suppose my first book was whatever the textbook was in first grade for reading... "see Spot run. Run Spot, run".

Darlene, my son, at about age 2, had a record of Little Black Sambo, and he listened to it so much he had it memorized. He used to repeat it to anyone who'd listen, and he'd talk real fast and get all kinda spit going, and smack in the middle of the story, he'd stop and go **SLLLLLLUUUUUUURPP** and swallow so he could continue. It was a riot.

• 6 months later...

Darlene, I love the story of Little Black Sambo! I recently discovered that the original Sambo's restaurant still exists in Santa Barbara (the chain of Sambo's restaurants used to extend all over the US, I think), and still sells the series of postcards that depict the story of how Sambo loses his clothes to the tigers who then fight over them and turn into butter (or is it batter, as you wrote above?).

Jennifer

Those restaurants are now known as "Denny's" when a certain group of Americans chose to take offense at the name "Sambo's" and made them change the name through court proceedings. "Only In America."

The first book I remember reading (outside of school books) was "WE" by Charles Lindberg. It was his account of his solo flight across the Atlantic. On second thought , maybe it was "Robinson Crusoe." No, wait, I think it was "The Count Of Monte Cristo" by Alexander Dumas or was it "The Three Musketeers?"

Listen up folks, when you get to be this old you're lucky if you even remember what you had for dinner last night, let alone the first book you ever read. confused

However I DO remember the LAST book I read. winkhappylaugh

Ted

Outside of the books I was required to read as part of my education, some of the earliest books I remember reading were science fiction. One of the first fictional books I read was George Orwell's "1984." Back then I never ever thought I would see the day when it would come true, though. Now that it has, I see other things happening in real life that I read about years ago, thinking they would/could never happen. A point for you "Trivial Pursuit" lovers: George Orwell was a pen name for a man named Eric Blair.

Speaking of Little Golden Books, did anyone also ever have Little Golden Records? I loved those, too. There was always some song on it recorded by "Mitch Miller" and the "Pipers" Orchestra, or some such pickup group! They had songs for all occasions. I remember one my mother bought when I had the measles. It was titled "I'm Gonna Get Well Today." I can almost still remember it, because my mother played it for me over and over, so I wouldn't scratch my measles!

smile --D

It is hard to remember when I was little. LOL

My First books I can remember were The Golden Books, Little Black Sambo, The Three Little Pigs and Fuzzy Bear. On the cover of the Fuzzy Bear book the bear was all covered in brown fuzz. Not only did I like reading the story but I also liked the feel of the fuzz. One day my mother noticed my face and mouth was all brown and wondered why.... you guessed it, I also must have liked the taste of the fuzz because I licked it all off the cover of the book. crazy Yum! LOL