NJ Governor

sterling

The ironic thing about this event is that the same guy who took over for former Gov. McGreevy (ahem!) has taken over again! Everybody thinks he (Cody) is a great guy but he really truly doesn't want the job. He just wants to be a lower level public servant who gets to go to his kids' baseball and soccer games after work. Gotta love him. Cozine is supposed to be ok, but it's gonna take months and months to recuperate.

Dave

He's on a ventilator with a fractured sternum (breastbone) --OUCH!!!, six broken ribs each side, of course the broken leg. He's had about two hours of surgery at least and will need more surgeries. It will take him months to walk normally again.

His daughter thanked everyone for their well wishes and said she feels good about things today because he is a fighter. Ex-acting Governor Codey is taking care of things for now.

Governor Corzine, being a multi-billionaire, accepted $1 as his gubernatorial salary. He really wants to govern the state. Although the doctors characterized his injuries as having the ability to become life-threatening, the general consensus is that he'll pull through and do well in the long run. I hope so.

smile --Darlene

PS He wasn't wearing his seatbelt, and they actually said they plan on giving him a citation for it! The SUV was decimated and it looked like a side impact, so the vehicle probably went into a spin (like Herman and I almost did when I forgot NOT to apply the brakes on that bridge near the Ohio border on the way to the Reunion Concert in November of 2004 and Herman turned into angry !)The governor's SUV struck the guardrail but the airbags never deployed. He's one lucky guy.

I do feel badly for the guy, and wish him a speedy recovery, BUT he needs to practice what he preaches. The laws are for everyone, the lawmakers are not above them. He probably would have been injured anyway, but perhaps not to as great a degree. Hopefully he will wear his seatbelt from now on.

Not likely. When you are a lawmaker and you disregard the law, you will likely be under scrutiny. Anyone entering politics knows that. Yes, it's a shame he got hurt. But the fact is, he didn't have a seatbelt on. That's not criticism, it's not sensationalism, it's the way it was, period. No one is crucifying anybody, unless you consider having issues with people telling the truth "crucifying".

It was reported that a red Bronco cut the governor's SUV off and they were looking for it.

They supposedly found the vehicle they say caused the accident. The guy said the governor's car was going at a fast pace down the road with its lights on and he thought it was an emergency vehicle, so he pulled over to the side of the road, like he was supposed to. He said he hit some soft dirt that threw his vehicle toward the guardrail and he swerved to correct. His tires grabbed and he suddenly went back on the roadway, and as he was looking in his rearview mirror he saw a white vehicle hit a black SUV, but didn't know he had clipped the white vehicle to send it scudding into the the governor's black SUV. So he just continued on his way, blissfully unaware.

No summons was issued to him yet. They can't charge him with leaving the scene of an accident if he didn't know he was in one.

Meanwhile, the governor had a third surgery.

--Darlene

Quote:
Originally posted by James:

The guys's laying in a hospital bed, in serious trouble medically...and the media etc. is quasi-crucifying him because he didn't have his seatbelt on.

Can't it wait until he's at least out of the woods?

Jeez..

Once again I agree with James.
And you're entitled to agree with anyone you wish, I have no problem with James, you, or anyone else thinking what you think.

However, I do believe celebrities and politicians have the opportunity to hold themselves up as positive role models, and sadly, many times, they do just the opposite. I don't want to see anyone in pain anymore than you do, but someone (especially a lawmaker) going 91 mph, wearing no seatbelt isn't making the best of decisions. I hope he recovers fully and quickly. And I hope he learned from this.