IMUS

TOMMY TUNES

Okay, so Imus finally got it. I have no problem with the decision, as I feel he crossed the line on these young athletes.

WHAT I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH is Sharpton's and Jackson's quotes.

Jackson said, "no one should use the public airways to transmit racial or sexual degredation".

Sharpton said, "we cannot afford a precedent established that the airways can commercialize and mainstream sexism and racism."

I have two points......

Why is this a racial issue for what Imus said? There are ten black girls and two white girls on the Rutgers squad. Does ANYONE know this? Where does racism come in on a blanket statement about the TEAM? Again, I charge Jackson and Sharpton with being the racists here.

Second, read those two quotes again. If Sharpton and Jackson feel this way, then why are they not going after the top two songs on the hip hop charts? "This Is Why I'm Hot" by Mims says both "bitches" and "niggas" in the song. The number two ranked song, "I'm A Flirt" by Bow Wow and R Kelly uses the term "ho's" (like Imus said on the airwaves and was fired for) and "niggas" (clearly a racial remark.)

If, tomorrow morning, the two reverends announce they want all airplay stopped on these two records, I will formaly apologize to both of them and take back my calling them "racists".

If not, I rest my case, but challenge ANYONE in the media to ask them this question.

Double standard?

The problem there my friend is catching those sly foxes in anything... they are masters of denial and evasion of the facts as they pertain to the issues. All that matters is what they say... and what they say that "black America" should think about certain things.

Facts are only tools of "Whitey" to keep the "people of color" downtrodden and under our control... frown

What amazes me, and I don't know why it still should, is how Jackson; the man who uttered that famous slur "Heimitown" to describe New York City once (and of course was forgiven after a less-than-convincing apology) can call for Imus' hide and then look himself in the mirror. A supposed "man of the cloth" would know that only he who is without sin can cast the first stone...

I like watching '30 Rock'.

But tonight's episode had Tracy Morgan's character (who is African-American) wearing 'white face' while (badly, though comically) portraying Thomas Jefferson in a really bad documentary.

I ask...what if Alec Baldwin's character wore 'black face' and (badly) portrayed a historical African-American figure? Would Al Sharpton call for a boycott of the show or the firing of the President of Programming at NBC??

The double standard is killing me.

The topic of "who can say what" came up on Hannity and Colmbes(sp?)" show, and there was mention of remarks that Sharpton and Jackson have made in the past concerning other races, religions, etc. . With this the question was posed that if Imus was to be unplugged, why not Sharpton and Jackon? AND, how the rap genre is putting out music that talks about violence against women, and the use of racial slurs.

My take on it is that when you have people like Imus "representing" the white populations and people like Sharpton and Jackson "representing" the black populations, then (and excuse my expression), both sides are screwed! Rosie O'Donnel made a racial comment about Asian Americans. She appologized and went about her business. Why was she allowed to do so?

I do not believe in "slamming" anyone. And I do not choose my friends by skin color or religion. My belief is that for the most part people will get along when left alone. But when you stir the proverbial pot, what can you expect?

I see a huge sprial just beginning, and who knows where it will end.

That's just make take on it.

Ronda

Imus deserves exactly what he got...nappy headed ho's....I don't even know what a nappy head is, but I can tell you this, somebody ought to slap him upside his big ugly head. I was always curious as to his appeal since I always thought he appeared to be working drunk or stoned!

While some people appear to be posting drunk or stoned.

I have to give the good Rev. Jackson credit for at least mouthing the words that Rap musicians are part of the problem with the perpetuation of racial slurs. As he put it, rather eloquently, "Rappers didn't start the problem but they have to have a hand in ending it."

The pisser to me is that the Rutgers basketball team talks about how "their time in the spotlight" has been ruined. Hell, it's women's college basketall. Only the most diehard of sports fan could have told you what team won 24 hours after the fact had it not been for Don Imus' remark! Bask in the limelight "ladies"... get your hair done for charity... make public appearances... enjoy your 15 minutes before you have to go back to the reality of "making a living"... be it by "ho'ing" or using the skills you learned while getting to play basketball at Rutgers.

But don't forget that for all the supposed hurt you feel, most of us know that you tossed the terms "nappy haired ho"... or as I learned it, "nappy headed ho"... back and forth at each other during your clubhouse banter right before the games. You, as a "race" will never have the respect of other races while you degrade your selves so much but try to make it a racial sin when someone else uses the term.

Quote:

But don't forget that for all the supposed hurt you feel, most of us know that you tossed the terms "nappy haired ho"... or as I learned it, "nappy headed ho"... back and forth at each other during your clubhouse banter right before the games. You, as a "race" will never have the respect of other races while you degrade your selves so much but try to make it a racial sin when someone else uses the term. [/QB]

Paulie,

Is this true? ...I hadn't heard that anywhere.

Where did you hear this? ...or are you speculating?

All I can say about it is that people or races have to first exhibit self-respect before others can respect them. The rap culture is encouraging denigration of their race by calling black and white women "hos," by their stilted "sub-language" and, most of all, by their ideas and attitudes. The white youth think all this is cool and want to dress like them, talk like them and act like them. Meanwhile, the rappers are NOT living the ghetto lifestyle. They go back to their grand style mansions and laugh at everyone while they take their money to the bank.

Then there are idiots like Al Sharpton who pretend all this isn't happening. He never apologized for the Tawanna Brawley case, but got a huge pass.

Laws now favor minorities, and I don't see any communities being suppressed, but if communities themselves don't clean up their own internal problems and allow idiots to represent them, they will never garner respect from others.

smile --Darlene

Tommy, obviously I wasn't in the locker room with the Rutgers Women's Basketball Team, but when I have been in locker rooms or other "private" areas with minority friends, the terms suchs as "nappy headed ho" and others are bantied easily and readily.

I recall an old Eddie Murphy joke about how he was being heckled by a boisterous woman at one of his shows until he finlly shouted her down using the term "Bitch!"

He went on to explain that "bitch" is a term that no black woman will accept and sure enough after the show she was on target toward him with a 6'5" 300 pounder in tow. The guy walks up to Eddie and looks him in the eye and asks:

"Why you callin' my "ho" a bitch?"

Some things you really don't have to be in the room to know it goes on. laugh