IMUS

TOMMY TUNES

Obviously his brain wasn't engaged before opening his mouth. It's all part of that crusty image he has to uphold. But I think a 2 week suspension is plenty. However, his days may be numbered since they've lost major advertisers. I would listen to Imus anyday rather than that pig Howard Stern. Sad to say if Imus was African American this wouldn't even be news. Listen to the miserable, filthy, degrading lyrics in a lot of rappers so called music, and hey, that's okay? When do they clean up their act? Excuse my french, it's BS.

The difference between Howard Stern and Imus for me is Howard makes me laugh while Imus doesn't. I just don't find him funny. Oh, the other big difference is Howard Stern is NOT a racist. I believe, from things I have heard and read in the past, that it's no secret that Imus is. That's why I believe when the smoke clears in this particular situation he will be fired.

Bernie

Imus has done alot of good things to help a whole lot of folks over the years who are less fortunate, people from all walks of life, all races. Kids with serious illneses, the homeless. The media blitz to portray the guy as evil is pathetic itself and doesnt take in the complexity of the man, the good and the bad. The Bush government, in all their B.S. and psuedo-patriotism, hands the returning soldiers from Iraq Walter Reed hospital and all it's run down dilapitated facilities. Yeah, shows they really care for all their talk. Don Imus puts together $50 million dollars of donations and builds a new center for disabled vets. Many of whom are black. I dont think Don Imus is a racist at all, I just think he was stupid. He crossed the line and offended women who didnt deserve the offense and couldnt fight back like the powerful types he usually offends that can dish it out themselves. Imus should have been smarter in some ways and taken his gig to satellite radio years ago like Stern because part of his "schtick" is being offensive and MSNBC is not a venue for such material. I think he was dancing on a tightrope for some time. Its worn old, especially in these P.C. times. It's interesting that no one is ralying to shut down MTV or VH 1 over all the disgusting rap lyrics and the images that tend to portray black women in a purely sexual manners. No one protesting outside those record companies that sell all that rubbish. No one threatening to shut down the NBA over all their bad behavior. Imus isnt the only one out there crossing the line, causing offense all the time. Perhaps Imus was an easier target afterall? I think he's finished too though it's nothing to be proud of because it just highlights all the double standards that continue to abound and have caused so many tensions in our culture. Saturday Night Live, Comedy Central, South park; there are so many venues where offensive humor is the norm. Maybe years from now we will get to a place where people look to build eachother up as opposed to the continual tearing down.

IMUS is Imus. If people quit listening to his show, he will be off the air. Until then, rail all you want, money talks, thats why Howard Stern is still on the air. Don Imus for all his warts is still a better person that most of his asssailers, including Sharpton and Jackson.

Having said that, he could have left the Rutgers girls out of it.

To me, Imus is boring...and what he said is repugnant. Though I rarely tune in, I'll likely boycott his show completely in response. And though we've made miraculous progress in race policy/relations, the red coals of racism still burn underneath (in the black and the white community)...and it's important to put the spotlight on small flameups of racism when they occur..

But the phony indignant posturing by certain of the press, the "victims", the minority "leaders" etc irks me more than what Imus said...it more than irks me, it makes me sick..

Al Sharpton, and especially Jesse Jackson, taking their positions as "confessors" is nauseating..

What Imus said is not more egregious than what comes out of the mouths of most mainstream comedy types (Leno, Chris Rock, Letterman, SNL, Daly etc etc). It's just that he's white, and he chose to diss the wrong segment/segments of our society...the segments that our cowardly PC culture demeans by patronizing them. Would there even be a blip in the press if Jay Leno referred to a group of white lawyers as "A bunch of fat thieves"??

Answer: NO.

THANK YOU, Ira. I'm with you....that piece hit every single nail on the head. What trouble are those 'artists' getting into by the black community? NONE.

Excuse me while I go read about Snoop Dogg getting jailed for felony gun and drug charges.

Quote:
Originally posted by ira:

IMHO this New York Post column really encapsulates the insensitivity, hypocrisy, and grandstanding, ...that exists on every side of this issue.

Please read.-Ira.

Imus deserves exactly what he got...nappy headed ho's....I don't even know what a nappy head is, but I can tell you this, somebody ought to slap him upside his big ugly head. I was always curious as to his appeal since I always thought he appeared to be working drunk or stoned!

When the story first hit the radio I was driving and it was all over talk radio and news stations and sports stations... everywhere. At first it was thought Imus made a "monkey" comment but then it was realized that either it was his producer who used "monkey" and/or Imus has a penchant for calling his underlings "little monkeys" so nobody could make it a race thing.

After dozens of replays people finally focussed on the "nappy haired ho's" tag, which if you look at them is not a bad description for their appearance, probably a description uttered by African American players on opposing teams...

I really don't care if Imus is a bigot or not. What I care about is how certain segments of society latch on to portions of our language and then deny other portions the right to use them. FREE Speech doesn't mean I should have to be of any particular race, creed, or color to use a word. And it's not just racial, the "gay" community has usurped the words "Gay", "Fag", and of course the term "significant other".

Maybe we need to make a list of words and terms that each and every race, religion, or sex finds offensive and ban them from "free" speech. But with the banning comes stiff penalties for ANY party that speaks them. No more "niggah" from one black to another, no more "faggot" from one gay to another. No more "bi-yatch" from one "bi-yatch" to another... wink

Yeah, I know that solution is absurd, but so is the ruckus that is being made over comments that did no harm to a team of "less than attractive" women who are probably able to hide behind black and gay retorec...

And don't forget that the old sharks like Al Sharpton are always on the lookout for a "cause" that gets them air time.

Twenty five years ago, I sat in a college classroom , as the only white man in an otherwise all black (teacher included) class on the music business. Originally, there were five other white students and they all dropped the class within the first two weeks, probably due to either being frustrated (or bored) with hearing things such as “how the man is keeping blacks down in the music businessâ€, “there is an unfair advantage for whites to make it in musicâ€, and “change must happen or the black man has no chance to make money in the industryâ€.

After about four weeks of classroom high fives and shouts against “the manâ€, I finally had to speak up. I asked the teacher in class why “they felt the way they did? There were two types of popular radio back then, black stations and pop stations that played both black and white artists. Simple math tells me that it is EASIER for the black artist to get radio play than a white artist.â€

The class was horrified at my question/statement.

One of my classmates looked at me and said “you f***** racistâ€, much to the delight of everyone in the room. I calmly said “I’m not sitting here spewing out venom against a race, which you seem to be. I’m just asking a question, that I’m not getting an answer for.

There are two types of radio, one is exclusive to blacks and the other plays both black and white music. That tells me it is EASIER for the black man to get airplay. It is tough enough to get my songs heard by any record company. It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to get played on black radio.â€

The teacher asked me if I felt I was a racist? I said, “I probably have an equal amount of black friends to white friends. I’m the only white guy in the school jazz band. I listen to a lot of black radio because I enjoy the type of chords being played there. So, no, I don’t believe I am a racist. I try not to see color.â€

He told me that in the fifties, singers like Pat Boone and Elvis Presley had major hits that should have been credited to black songwriters. I said, “no disrespect, but that was thirty years ago. Maybe then, it was more difficult for blacks, but I’m speaking in current terms. Two types of radio. One and a half chances for blacks for airplay. One half for whites. Please explain why everyone is so angry?â€

He had no explanation.

It’s twenty five years later, and I’m still confused. There appears to be even less of a chance for white acts to get airplay and I don’t believe that is the statement of a racist. I believe that is fact.

If a “racist†is someone that believes his/her race is superior or puts down another race, then I think some of the biggest “racists†in America are Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.

Can you imagine the outrage if there was an all white radio or television station? Yet, we have BET and that, apparently, is okay. We have many soul stations (okay, okay, Justin Timberlake slips onto a few now).

Guys like Sharpton and Jackson outrage me because all they need is a black guy and a camera and they are there.

Don Imus? I am not a fan. Should he be fired for his comments? First off, let me say I think he should have been fired fifteen years ago, because I think he is boring and uninspired. Yes, I believe he should be fired for what he said. He went far beyond the “line†describing these talented young ladies.

It’s kind of ironic. My daughter plays basketball and we watch a great number of girls basketball games together. Basketball is a game of intimidation (you’d be appalled at some of the names she has been called on the court) and early in the tournament, I remarked to her, “man, these Ruetgers girls are scary looking, aren’t; they?†Now, two weeks later, Imus unloads with his crude comments!

I think, though, that he should not be branded a “racistâ€, like Sharpton and Jackson clearly are. Calling someone a racist is a terrible thing. You need to be able to back that up. (yeah, I know I called those two racist and I think history backs that up)

I would have so much more respect for Sharpton and Jackson if they went after the hip hop community, for all the “ho†and “bitches†references. The reporters asked the basketball girls their thoughts on the rap and hip hop community, but no one appears to ask Sharpton or Jackson their thoughts on it. Why?

Sorry for being so long winded, but this is a subject that seems to me has been very one sided for many years and it is getting old.

What boggles my mind about the CBS decision to go ahead and fire Don Imus over this is that they are catering to a group of people who do not support them. Les Moonves is so afraid of being labeled a racist that he'd rather err on the side of the racists' themselves than stand up for his man.

Imus is no better or worse than many of the "shock jocks" or "schlock jocks" out there... but he has always played to his audience. The CBS audience.

Several years ago African American... black... man of color... whatever PC statement we are being told to refer to them as now... actor Tim Reid railed against CBS because his show, a show that was not being supported by black-America... was cancelled. He referred to the company as the "Caucasian Broadcasting Company"... and they gave him another vehicle and brought in more "people of color" to their shows... only to see the target audience for those moves support shows, dismally at best... on UPN and the WB.

And now the black caucus has forced 61 stations full of listeners... listeners who by and large enjoyed Don Imus... as well as over 4 million people who watched on MSNBC... to find a new source of morning entertainment.

Is the knee-jerk reaction now to offer the seat to Al Sharpton or one of his lackeys? First, we know that their cries of "racist" are as much a matter of the pot calling the kettle "black" as anything and secondly, you will not force the millions of people who enjoyed Don Imus for who and what he was to listen to anything else. If anything, this is a boon for "John Boy and Billy" or "Bob & Tom" or other WHITE MALES WHO MAKE COUNTRY REFERENCES AND SEXUAL INNUENDO on the radio.

Not to mention the fact that some up and coming network out there will be smart to snare Imus... to relaunch a program... and see how many of those 61 stations that carried him via CBS' syndication will sign up to renew their mornings with Imus... Sharpton and the Reverend Jackson be damned...