Things are Getting Worse

MJ

In today's paper I read that Continental Airlines is ceasing ALL flights from Sarasota-Bradenton airport in September - all flights! I always took the SRQ-Houston-San Antonio flights to see my friends and there were 2 flights from SRQ to Newark daily that were always packed. Now everyone has to drive to Tampa to catch a flight - and they won't be non-stops - and here is a real horror - last Nov. I took a cab from SRQ to Tampa - it was $90 w/out tip - can you imagine what it's going to be later on this year???? If the band does a show - they'd better do it somewhere closer to me or else I'll have to take 3 planes just to get there!!! Yikes!!!

I feel your pain. That is main reason I could not go the the Cleveland concert. It would have taken me over an hour and a half just to drive to the Pittsburgh airport, the flight to Cleveland went to Chicago first, then back to Cleveland. I would have ended up missing the concert.

That is why I am hoping for a Pittsburgh concert. I have been waiting for many, many, many years to see them live in concert.

I feel your pain. That is main reason I could not go the the Cleveland concert. It would have taken me over an hour and a half just to drive to the Pittsburgh airport, the flight to Cleveland went to Chicago first, then back to Cleveland. I would have ended up missing the concert.

Its a 2 hour drive from Pittsburgh to Cleveland. Why bother with flying?

Yeah I will be considering - WHEN THE TIME comes lol. And yes Steve I live in Bradenton right next to Sarasota about 7 miles from the Gulf of Mexico wink It's just plain hot here right now though - but it's still like a postcard when you drive down Gulf Drive by the water.

The airlines are all doing stupid, "shoot from the hip" solutions to the problems. Besides Continental cancelling all service from Sarasota, United is dumping Anchorage, and Thai Airways will be dropping L.A. later this year.

There are better, much more fundamental ways of operating, besides cutting cities, and this nickel-and-dime business concerning baggage and

(in the case of US Airways)charging for sodas

has gotten way out of hand. This causes more wasted time arguing, not to mention more delays.

One, a couple of the airlines' CEOs need to take pay cuts. Many are rewarding themselves for bad behavior. Two, some city-pairs have too many planes......way too many New York to London and Dallas to Chicago flights, to cite two horrendous examples.....needs to get distributed more evenly.

Enough of being on my soapbox......

Sarasota is one of those airports where people are willing to pay slightly more for convenience.

It is much like Orange County(CA) or Long Island(NY), in that respect---those folks prefer this over going to LAX or JFK, respectively.

Without Continental being in SRQ, it makes it harder for anyone from the west to get there. Most of the airports that connect to there are northeast. Especially in the winter, where some airports are snowed in. At least Houston is a warm-weather hub that those in the west can connect to.

Now watch....you will get one or two major airports cancel some flights this winter, and this will domino across the country....seeing a bunch of people stranded for days, due to the lack of certain flights.

Atlanta, though is the best bet. Not too far out of the way....and you have both AirTran and Delta with connections to Texas.