Bush team used 935 falsehoods to justify war

sterling

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22794451/?GT1=10755

Two nonprofit journalism organizations have now charged that the Bush administration used 935 false statements on Iraq to justify the invasion.

The most damning part was the study concluded that the statements "were part of an orchestrated campaign that effectively galvanized public opinion and in the process led the nation to war under decidely false pretenses."

That to me is scary stuff! I cannot wait to see the video "No End in Sight". Maybe this is what Eric and some others have pointed out that the video brings up. I am not sure my blood pressure will take this stuff. I would certainly think that this is worth a long look as far as impeachment is concerned. The Dems and Nancy Pelosi need to stand for something and hold this bunch of loose cannons accountable for waht they have put all of us through. Anyway, I will definitely watch "No End in Sight". Such a sad situation.

Phil

Not to defend Bush too much, but does the article tell you who is the principle funder of these "organizations" who did the study?

I've been told, non other than "Mr. Open Society" Billionaire Bush-Hater and America-Hater himself, George Soros.

If you hire nothing but like-minded biased thinkers, of course, your conclusion will be predictable...

If Bush ever did anything good in his 7 years as president, you would never get these groups or MSNBC to ever admit it.

"No End In Sight" is pretty damning, and it ain't a Michael Moore production, or by anyone connected with Soros!

Practically all of the interviews involve ex-Bush administration officials, mostly military, who were second-guessed and repeatedly ignored. Numerous examples of issue and position papers which were written prior to and after the start of the war, which were summarily dismissed by Bush, Cheney, etc., are brought up. (BTW, Bush's reaction to anything given to him to read, both per this documentary, and per people I know who have personally interacted with him, is to ask -"Bottom line, does it support our position?"

If the answer is anything but a positive "yes", he won't take the time to read it, let alone consider it...)

Most of the interviewees in this film point out that the primary folks in Bush's White House who orchestrated the Iraqi fiasco have never been in the military, let alone in a war! Frankly, anyone who's remotely objective can deduce that, had any of these guys' opinions been considered, the situation in the Middle East would have been different.

Bush has such an ego, he thinks that he is the embodiment of American ideals. Nothing could be further from the truth. Less than a year to go, so no sense in impeachment efforts. However, I

don't mind if proceedings advance once they've left office and him and Cheney spend a few years in jail for their malpractice of civil duties/service.

This ain't news. Bush needs to justify the stock market crash and impending recession now. He inherited a pretty enviable fiscal positon from Clinton and squandered it in a New York second.

But at least his and Chenney's pockets are extra well-lined now.

OK...so I'm not an Amereican and it ain't any of my business. Except that all of his on-going blunders impact on ALL of us.

Anyone who voted for this fool the second time around is equally guilty.........And guilty of much more than simply being foolish.

And I ain't even gonna get started on the 'set-up' known as 9/11.

[by the way...MANY of us could see this coming almost from the outset of his 'arrival [FIXED arrival] in the White House.]

Sorry to get so bent out of shape over Bush. He just pisses me off SO much. What he [and the men in the shadows] have done to the U.S. of A...and the rest of the world...is simply unforgivable.

The guy should have to stand trial...in the world court. And those who propelled him should have to pay the ultimate price as well.

It's just TOO blinkin' obvious...and it has been from the get-go.

Freedom [and for the most part great music for the masses] is just a word...a thing of the past.

And war...War is just a method for obliterating the underprivilaged on BOTH sides.

Despicable.

I hope after Bush and Cheney are out, we don't try to put them out of our minds like a bad dream. For once, in government, someone needs to be accountable for their actions, especially since the stakes have been so high. All the people on Eric's list, along with THE blundering George Tenent, need to be investigated, brought before a BI-PARTISAN Congressional Commitee, and if the charges can be proven by someone OTHER than "blinded-by-ideology-partisan-hack-funded investigators", public shame and some jail time should be handed down!

And none of this "I DON'T RECALL" or "I DON'T REMEMBER" CRAP THAT ALL POLITICIANS USE WHEN THEY ARE CAUGHT WITHOUT AN EXCUSE!

In "Eric's World" , Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz and Bremer would all be spending the rest of their lives in Iraq, with their families, using every last dollar of their personal fortunes to try and straighten out the horrific mess their arrogance, greed and stupidity got us into.

ec

"Eric's World". Now there's an idea for a movie. The hell with Wayne.

"In "Eric's World" , Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz and Bremer would all be spending the rest of their lives in Iraq, with their families, using every last dollar of their personal fortunes to try and straighten out the horrific mess their arrogance, greed and stupidity got us into.

ec"

You got that right. When I see stuff on those young people who got seriously hurt over there my heart aches for them. The thing that gets me is that Cheney told the Washington Post when asked why he didn't go to Vietnam, that he had "other priorities" back then.

I hate politics. Get me a cheeseburger, turn the radio on, and lets go chase some girls.

Per Tony C - "...All the people on Eric's list, along with THE blundering George Tenent, need to be investigated, brought before a BI-PARTISAN Congressional Commitee...."

No, they need to be brought before some sort of a neutral, perhaps international tribunal that has absolutely nothing to do with either of our parties!!!....One of the major problems we face nowadays is the simple fact that neither Republicans nor Democrats seem to understand the concepts of objectivity or human decency...all they understand is "my Party, right or wrong....except my Party's never wrong!"

I've read quite a lot about this, Tony, and it appears to me that George Tenent fell on his sword, like a good soldier for his President. From what I've read, Tenent was one of the good guys.

There's a very telling chapter in "The One Percent Solution" about Tenent sending a memo to Bush regarding "Saddam trying to purchase enriched uranium in Africa." He tells Bush that he cannot confirm that fact, and that Bush shouldn't use it in his speech. The memo keeps coming back to Tenent with his statement crossed out, and Tenent sends it back to Bush again, and it comes back crossed out again. In the book, Tenents secretary of many years is pictured storming down the hall furious and about to resign as a result of this.

It boils down to the fact that Bush was going to use it, and Tenet's job was to support him. When the investigation asked Tenent, he had tot tell them he'd confirmed, it so the President wasn't a liar,thus ending his own career. He did.

ec

Here are some key false statements. For example: "On August 26, 2002, in an address to the national convention of the Veteran of Foreign Wars, Cheney flatly declared: 'Simply stated, there is no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction. There is no doubt he is amassing them to use against our friends, against our allies, and against us.' In fact, former CIA Director George Tenet later recalled, Cheney's assertions went well beyond his agency's assessments at the time. Another CIA official, referring to the same speech, told journalist Ron Suskind, 'Our reaction was, "Where is he getting this stuff from?"'"

Hmmm... 965 lies? Hell, I haven't told that many lies in my entire life! (Well, at least I don't think so.... At least not 965 lies at that level, where lives hang in the balance....)

Eric's World would work for me, although if it were LC's World, the personal fortunes amassed by Bush and Cheney would be emptied out before they were shipped out. Their riches could help pay back a portion of the war costs....

Speaking of which, a tracking organization called National Priorities posts a running tally of our war costs here:

http://www.nationalpriorities.org/costofwar_home

It tells us that the U.S. has now spent some $500 billion on the war (an average of more than $4K per household). The numbers might be giving our gov the benefit of the doubt: I found a brand new Reuters story that reports:

"Since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States, Congress has written checks for $691 billion to pay for wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and such related activities as Iraq reconstruction."

Worse, we've had 4,000 soldiers killed, and more than 60,000 wounded. I was just looking at a photo in the Worcester Telegram of a soldier having his leg amputated, and my heart went out to him.

Oh, and did we find any weapons of mass destruction? Or the slippery Osama Bin Laden? Grrrrrr....

LC's figures above do NOT include the fact that billions and billions have been spent on contracts to "re-build" Iraq, and the money hasn't been used for any such purpose.

It's bad enough that a large share of the contracting work has gone on a sole source/non-competed basis to Bush's/Cheney's cronies...to add insult to injury, in the cases where the money actually has been spent for its intended purposes, the contractors have done bare-bones work that meets the minimal technical requirements, just in the short-term.

For example, in a case where a Halliburton subcontractor was supposed to provide armored vehicles, they used old junker surplus ambulances, with sheet metal retrofitted over the vehicles' bodies...and the engines of these vehicles blew after being driven around in the desert for a week or so....and, in this particular case, the vehicles were being used by US troops, not the locals! Our own troops are being shortchanged, cheated and lied to....and if any of this is challenged, the Administration accuses you of not supporting our troops over there! Hell, our own leaders aren't adequately supporting our troops!

Regarding posts about seeing this coming....as early as Bush's first 3-4 Cabinet meetings in March-April 2001, certain elements were pushing for war against Saddam...and this was 6 months before 9/11/01!