You can quote me...

marvin

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think its a matter of "getting" bruce....

i have a few of his cd's and personally, i dont think that he writes anything so terribly deep!

as for live...i hear he is great, but the cornerstone to enjoying live is loving the music first...and again, it does'nt "move me" as EC would say.

I used to see him at The Stone Pony before he was famous, always loved his music, and have seen him in concert, but don't think of him as the greatest storyteller of all time. I'm not so sure his passion is unmatched either. Maybe Emmylou just has the hots for him.

[QBI'm not so sure his passion is unmatched either. Maybe Emmylou just has the hots for him. [/QB]

I'm not a 'fan' of Bruce's but anyone who doesn't realize his passion is extraordianry, just doesn't hear it... his over-exposure may have something to do with it... but a not-so recent (2002) appearance on Conan saw him doing "Kitty's Back" and his guitar solo was as edgy, cutting and awe-inspiring as anything I've ever seen... he truly means it... and he does not falter... very very very few artists that age can claim that.... he really has moved the bar way up for aging rockers...

and far as stories go... his early stuff are as crammed full of tales of yonder (life) as anything any rock/pop artist has spun... "Growin Up" ain't the work of a hack... unless you've heard everything the man has done, don't slag him... if you have and still do, you're too cynical... that's just my opinion, though...

pierson, i'm not sure we're "slagging" bruce, but i do think his success shows just how important it is to have the media on your side during your career. i've always thought that BS's career was the exact opposite of the raspberries. the 'berries were almost (not totally) slammed by the press, where bruce was hailed as the the future of rock and roll. i remember waiting anxiously to hear "born to run" because it was (at least commercially) the beginning of bruces chart dominance...and when i heard it, thinking that i could'nt understand the lyrics!!!!!

granted, the music was powerful though.

Gosh, I didn't say he doesn't have passion. That, he's ALWAYS had. But to say it's "unmatched" (as in, by ANYTHING IN THE WORLD), is pretty strong and is also only one--or several--person's/people's opinion(s). Yes, he's great live.

But Marvin, you never saw Raspberries live, did you? Their passion was just as hot (to me, hotter) and like I said, the air was zinging with electricity. Bruce has always been great, and I'm not taking anything away from him, but it sounds like (to quote YOU, Marvin), you and Emmylou are "blindly following" (was THAT the expression? I believe it was) or following blindly without ANY criticism. NO ONE is that perfect, right? If such axioms apply to Eric/Raspberries, they certainly apply to Bruce. He's great, but he doesn't defy gravity or the laws of science any more than any other artist.

smile --D

He's great, but he doesn't defy gravity or the laws of science any more than any other artist.

smile --D

Well, unless you can point out another artist (Prince, Aerosmith, Cheap Trick & Bowie are close, but they come off as "Pros"--Bruce makes you feel like he HAS to do it)-- Bruce is the only one I've seen who's able to reconnect to spirit and energy that created the music almost 3 decades ago... without looking or sounding like an old fool... 99% of the artists lose that edge and energy once they've been thru the storm & back...

I could post a bible's worth of thoughts about Bruce, but I'll just say that Pierson is right on the mark with his comments. Many years ago I dragged Andy (a non-fan) to a Springsteen show and he walked away in amazement. Bruce is the only performer I've ever seen who gives you the feeling that the show you're about to see is unique and meant just for you.

Marvin

I will agree with Greg's comments about the media supporting Springsteen, still it's one thing for the accolades to come your way and another for the artist to live up to the hype. Springsteen, for the most part, has done so - especially as a live performer. Probably the most famous quote about Bruce was also the one that started the media onslaught as well as the incredible pressure: "I have seen the future of Rock and Roll, and it's name is Bruce Springsteen." Any guesses to this one?

Marvin

Darlene there is a feeling among many Bruce fans that those who 'grew up with him' especially those in Jersey, take him for granted now. I believe that Eric said something similar about fans in Cleveland. That's why you will see Bruce spend more time in Europe because the fans there (especially Barcelona), are probably the most avid and devoted Springsteen fans.

Marvin

Among my peer group, we call BS music "parade rock." Opinion is - utterly boring <yawn>. Reading the other posts, its not about "passion" "sincerity" or jumping around a lot on stage (lmao) its about "hey, can you write strong songs and actually sing and play well?" I'm sure that BS "sincerely" wishes he could play and sing as well as his stautre would presume, but.... so far, I would say that the answer is mediocre, and I certainly would never in my right mind refer to him as a "singer". One of the earliest BS memories I have is a televised concert, where for several minutes he simply grabbed the neck of his guitar, and swung it back and forth over and over, while the crowd screamed. I couldn't help thinking that was a better use of the guitar than having to hear him try and actually play it. Looked like a kid in front of his momma's bedroom mirror. BS went off my radar screen decades ago after he failed to show me why I should listen to him when there are artists such as Queen, David Bowie, Bad Company, Eric Carmen, etc. etc. Also, I think that people are too swayed by emotion when they see someone play live. To me, some of the best shows I've ever seen were people like Edgar Winter who basically stands there (because he doesn't see well) and sings and plays better far than practically the rest of the world - and he does it night after night, like a machine. The last live show I saw was Styx - I figured after that, I'de seen everyone I wanted to see (possible) and there wasn't any point in going to any more concerts. lol

You know, if people would just quit buying these records then artists like the "boss" would go away and make room for people who can get the job done. But as I've said many times before, talent and success are unrelated. If people aren't given alternatives, they just end up buying anything and then call it good to justify it.