You can quote me...

marvin

Here is a quote from Emmylou Harris. Guesses as to who she is talking about? I've substituted the gender of the performer with a asterisks (**) so as not to give anything away.

QUOTE:

Seeing a ** concert is like a spiritual experience. ** lifts you up in a way that is so real and makes you believe in humanity. ** makes you believe in the power of music, but ** also makes you believe in people. ** gives you hope, and ** makes you feel like you can make a difference - I'm not talking about me, I think everybody in the audience gets connected to something greater than themselves.

** doesn't preach to you; ** has a positive message without trying to dodge the fact that life is hard. **'s such an important messenger at this time in the world. It's a wonderful thing to be part of that audience, to feel connected in that way. It's stirring, that' the only way I can describe it. I think **'s an amazing songwriter. I don't know how ** keeps coming up with this stuff and how ** keeps hitting the bullseye everytime, going straight to the heart.

ENDQUOTE

Marvin

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marlene you can keep on guessing. Here's some more from Emmylou:

** has a great way of speaking to people in plain language, and engaging them, almost as if you're sitting in a living room and **'s one of those ancient storytellers. They're stories that people can relate to; it's not that **'s passing on ancient tales, but **'s talking about things that are timeless, qualities and emotions that are timeless, that people can relate to, that are uplifting. It's that connectedness, people are so engaged and so pulled in. And ** doesn't depend on videos in the background, or fancy sets, or weird lighting, or all kinds of pyrotechnics. It's raw, pure music: singing and playing, storytelling. It's all just so raw.

ENDQUOTE

Ok Emmylou. Tell us how you REALLY feel?!

Marvin

I guess i wasn't paying attention in class....who does Marvin like that is so controversial here..hmmmmm....?

Bahoo already guessed the Boss....and reading that quote rules out a lot of artists i might otherwise guess...so, I give up.... and I'll check back later for the answer. :rolleyes:

Actually Marlene there have been some right answers, but I just wanted to see the variety of answers before I posted the correct one. Also this artist is not controversial on this site, it's just that **'s not universally liked.

Marvin

Somehow, he got the nickname Boss Smog around my house, so whenever I hear the term "The Boss," I immediately think Boss Smog. Maybe it came from that plight-of-the-bluecollar-worker image ... I do like some of his music, but as I've posted before, some of it - especially Born in the USA - makes me wince.

Well because of the last few posts, I will tell you that Emmylou is in fact referring to Bruce Springsteen. I am guessing that the people who don't get Springsteen have never seen him in concert. I've seen him in shows is 1977, 1980, 1984, 1985, 1992, 1994 and 2003, and his intensity and passion remain un-matched.

Marvin

Marvin, you're certainly a devoted BS fan. I prefer to think that I just don't care for Springsteen, rather than that I don't "get" him. I don't think that it's a matter of complexity that I can't grasp, just an image and some songs that don't appeal to me.