Gas prices???

boopell

What is going on? Today we had lines at the gas stations that reached out into and down the streets.

At one point prices were going up a penny a minute-literally. In one neighboring town gas is up to $6.00 a gallon. Here it's around $4.00. I heard that in Lexington, KY it's over $7.00 a gallon.

Some of our stations have run out of gas and don't expect more for several days.

One lady told us she was watching the price go up while she waited in line.

Then I heard a few minutes ago that gas is still around $3.50 in California, but in Florida the governor is checking out gouging reports--is that true?

The only thing I can figure is maybe we're supplied by the refineries that are in the path of Ike.

How is it where you live?

Yep, they got us. My husband was out running errands this morning before work and saw what was going on just in time to fill up at $3.69 a gallon. The guy at the station was looking for 4's to change the price sign. We're not planning on going anywhere this weekend unless absolutely necessary until we see what's going on.

And I made a mistake in my first post--it was $4.99 a gallon this evening-not $4.00.

In Charlotte, gas prices popped up $1/gal overnight, there were long lines, stations began to only accept cash and limit the purchase to 10 gallons. The governor had to step in and sign a law, and the AG is going to investigate.

I drove up to NY on Thursday and for the first time gas prices on the NJ tpke were slightly more than in PA. Headed up to NH today, and I'm curious to see the prices in CT/MA.

Anne

Once I heard no power for 4 million in Houston and they had shut down 95% of the rigs this week - I went today - it was $3.75 in Bradenton, FL (west central coast).... not too bad yet but the pump was pumping awfully slow like the underground tank was already low. Still a few weeks ago it was $4.25. I wish they'd take it off the speculative market - whose brilliant idea was that anyway???? I like it when you gas price stayed the same for months on end - not changing every freaking day if someone got worried about Kuwait or someone frowning at another country.....

Angloberry - I can remember being over in England in the late 80's and seeing your gas prices - I think they were like 4 pounds back then and I was horrified that you guys were paying almost double what we did - so I did feel sorry for you all even back then.... but now - it's every country for itself!

All they need is the slightest little excuse to RAISE the @#$%^&* prices...and they go up immediately! Did you notice as the price of oil per barrel was going down...that the prices were not translating all that quickly at the pumps. What the @#$% is that all about????? madmadmad Bastards!

Things are so bad in Charlotte that the police can not get gas and are having to borrow from the fire department reserves. Stations that are still open have long lines and are rationing. About 30% of the stations are closed--no gas. Even the school department said there may be an issue getting the buses on the road next week.

Hopefully that will soon change.