Movie reviews for July:

Tony Cartmill

"War of the Worlds" **1/2 out of 5

Great scenes of Alien destruction and good performances. But how many times does Spielberg have to show us a close-up of Dakota Fanning's face reacting to the stress of the moment. We get it. She's a cute kid who can act scared and sad. Tom Cruise never gives a bad performance. He's fine. But the back and forth between alien horror and sweet family bonding make for a good looking yet uneven sci-fi film.

"Bewitched" ** out of 5

Strange, silly sit-com type comedy about a real witch playing a witch on a revival of a strange, silly sit-com. Nichole Kidman is fine playing a naive witch trying to find a normal life. Will Ferrel tries too hard to make a mildly funny script funnier. Michael Caine and Shirley McClaine are just ok in their small roles. Ferrel will have a soft spot in his memory for this silly movie because he got to dance and romance with an oscar winning babe like Kidman, but this will be far from his best role before he is through.

More to come...

• 3 weeks later...

"Entertaining Angels", - saw it on cable, released in 1996, an average movie but a great subject (biography of Dorothy Day (1897 - 1980), kind of a radical turned Christian/Catholic who spent her life doing Mother Theresa type work in New York City).

Had never heard of the actress in the starring role (Moira Kelly) although it appears she's got a substantial body of work. But she is a stunner out-matched by none in Hollywood.

Yeah what is with all the remade movies:

Charlie and the Choclate Factory... the original was enough for me to stomach.. What exactly is new in this... do the oompah little people now do a rapping version of their song??

The Longest Yard with Adam Sandler & Chris Rock.. huh? didnt he already make his own version of this with the Waterboy??

War of the Worlds: The original was a classic how could Spielberg do this?... is he running out of ideas?? Whats next the Wizard of Oz, Gone with The Wind or Casablanca. Isnt anything sacred in Hollywood?

There are new ideas and good stories in the movies, But they are mostly low budget and indie movies. Hollywood thinks the brain-dead youngsters just want state-of-the-art special effects, smart-ass dialogue, mucho explosions, and remakes of past generation hits. Many movies cost so much to make these days (Thank you greedy lawyers and unions), That the risk of filming a new idea or creative story is very high...

More Reviews:

"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" ** 1/2 out of 5.

Not as much fun as the original where Gene Wilder was so cool and sarcastic with the bratty kids. I "get" Johnny Depp's take of Willy Wonka as a flawed nerdy recluse candy genius, but he's also kind of creepy with kids. Tim Burton movies are always different and imaginative, but the plot progression usually suffers from all the weird ideas and images he comes up with.

"Wedding Crashers" **1/2 out of 5.

Starts off hilarious and is full of low-brow humor throughout. Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson have good comic timing. You miss some of the scatter of funny lines because the audience is laughing so hard at the previous joke. But it starts to get stale from all the scenes of beautiful but unbelievably gullible women falling for dumb lines from shallow horny guys.

When Will Ferrell shows up near the end, he just hams up each scene he's in and dumbs down the ending. Wedding Crashers feels like it is written by horny college frat boys, for horny college frat boys. But it is funny...

• 2 weeks later...

Charlie and the Choclate Factory... What exactly is new in this... do the oompah little people now do a rapping version of their song??

Yes, unfortunately, during one of the segments, the Oompa Loompas did a rap. :rolleyes: Although I enjoyed Danny Elfman's music in the Tim Burton movie "The Nightmare Before Christmas", I had trouble deciphering the lyrics sung by the Oompa Loompas in "CatCF".

"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" differs itself from "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" in that Charlie has a father, it reveals some of the history that the Bucket family has with Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka's childhood and some changes in the storyline. Although the movie was enjoyable, I still prefer the original delicious portrayal of Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka, as well as Anthony Newley's music soundtrack of "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory"...such as "Oompa Loompa", "Cheer Up, Charlie", "Pure Imagination, etc. I also was sad to see the candy store had been replaced...though I do understand that "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" was closer to the storyline in the book than "WWatCF".

Overall..."Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" was delicious, but my Golden Ticket goes to "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory".

***SPOILER***

eek

eek

eek

eek

eek

eek

eek

Please skip,

if you are not aggiesjc !

aggiesjc, the answer is #$@!

confused

(You need to decipher the code to find the answer, so as to not spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it yet.)

In this version, you do get to see what ultimately happened to some of the children after their odd encounters later on in the film.

Code:

^ = A

< = blank space

~ = C

$ = E

% = N

* = O

@ = S

? = blank space

> = T

# = Y

We saw "Wedding Crashers" last weekend and really enjoyed it. Not Oscar material or anything, but very enjoyable and it made us giggle.

Didn't really care for War of the Worlds. It was thrilling, yes, but we absolutely could not understand ANY of the dialog! Don't know if the theatre we were in had a bad sound system or what--everything that came out of Tom Cruise's mouth sounded like he was full of marbles.....course, with his resent escapades, I guess he's lost most of them by now.....

--Julie