Have you ever been so mad...

JuliaD

I'm so upset, so pissed, and just so AAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH, I don't know where to put myself.

I just found out about this minutes ago. My son works at the same store I work at, but he works overnight and I work dayshift. He has been there 9 years, I've been there not quite two. He is 30, and he's got a superb record with them, in fact he was offered a management position, but he turned it down.

Last night a while after he got off break, a "punk" type kid approached him on the shopping floor and said "YOU, GET OVER HERE NOW". Well, my son didn't like the attitude right from the start (who would?), and he said "what the fuff's your problem?" (okay, he didn't say fuff, lol).

The guy turned out to be a plainclothes security guy, about 18 years old. He accused my son of not paying for the iced tea he drank while on break. Now, when I say "accused", I mean on the sales floor, in front of customers and co-workers alike, just flat out said "you didn't pay for it". My son said "BULLSHIT", and insisted that the store manager on duty, the security guy, and himself all go into the security room immediately and together to look at the store surveillance videos, which are in abundance. Before they went into the room, the manager told him to get his belongings from his locker (as in "you stole from us, you're fired") before they went in. Didn't ask my son *if* he paid for the iced tea, just assumed the security guy wasn't wrong.

My son went in to look at the tapes with them and told him what register he paid at (they are computerized self-checkouts, so there was no clerk to say "yes, he paid for that"). They brought up the video, and you could very clearly see my son paying for his iced tea. He was told to "get back to work". No apologies, no nothing.

Pardon my mouth, but I am so damned pissed off it's not even funny.

I am supposed to represent my store at a *very* exclusive chocolate show in Hershey, PA in February. Any prize I win belongs to the store. I may or may not win a prize, the show is open to professional chefs from all over the world, but even the idea of doing something to represent that store galls me to death right now, I'd like to tell them where they can stick their chocolate show. Between my house and my son's girlfriend's house, the two of us spend hundreds a month in that store. Not to mention my son is an artist, and frequently draws displays for them for free, and I frequently buy stuff for my cake decorating out of my own pocket and never ask them to reimburse me a penny. During the ice storms, which the store did not close down for, even tho they did lose electricity, I was the only one who showed up for work in my department. We've done a lot for that place.

Guys, I'm sorry, I know I'm ranting here, but this is my SON, one of the finest people I know, and one of their best and most loyal employees, and I feel like they just humiliated and betrayed him to no end. I want to just scream. If it were *me* they did this to, I'd be talking to an attorney right now.

But my son is an adult, and it's his business, and not my place to interfere. I would never go there and raise hell over it (tho I'd love to), because he doesn't need mommy fighting his battles. He said he's not talking to an attorney, but that he'll "never do anything for that store again".

All those customers who saw this last night don't know he's innocent. They don't know that video proved the security guy dead wrong, beyond any doubt. My son says he's okay, but he's not, his eyes don't say he's okay at all. I just wanna put my fist thru a wall. angrycryingarrgh

Julia,

So what happened to the security guy? Your son should reconsider his stance. He was falsely accused, in public, and his reputation damaged by this false accusation. He should demand the secruity weenie be suspended immediately or they can enjoy reading about themselves on the front page of the local paper - film at 11. Further more the security firm, or whomever provides it, needs to be identified (to the public) for improperly training their employees. Then the supervisor should get his a** reamed for allowing this accusation to get as far as it did without investigating the accuracy of the charge before he embarrased himself and his company. Then they both should be fired.

BUT - he should see a lawyer first. The media (whores that they are - no, I won't apologize) will eat this up.

No, I am not a lawyer but can you tell I have spent more than 25 years dealing with government issues and the media?

Tell your son this ignorant behavior will only continue. He should SEE A LAWYER!

Ted

Like Ted says, Julia's spawn should demand an apology from the boss AND the security guard AND remind them how bad for business their little public scene was AND how it could have been handled differently AND 9 loyal years of service deserves more respect from a punk-ass security guard and boss AND a nice little raise might soothe and comfort his pre-postal-worker bruised ego...

Didn't anybody say, "Ooops, sorry for the mistake?"

That's one of the things that has me *really* ticked, no one bothered to say to my son "hey, I'm sorry, even we make mistakes". Absolutely no mention of an apology was made, and to further aggrivate me, I found out tonight when I went to the store to grab some groceries that the manager walked around the store last night saying stuff like "loss prevention just caught Lenny stealing"... OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I am so very, very pissed off, the more I think about this, the more my head wants to explode. I told my hubby about it tonight (he was away all day and didn't know about it), and he's ready to kill, the company he works for is very big on the right and wrong way to do things, and he knows my sons rights were trampled last night.

My son "doesn't want to make waves", I'm thinking he's mainly concerned for me, like if he talks to a lawyer, they'll take it out on me. They probably would, but hell on 'em, I've left better jobs than this one, I'll survive.

I'm hoping he will change his mind, and *at minimum* go to the corporate bigshots and tell them what happened, and his intent to see an attorney if things aren't handled to his satisfaction. I know damn well corporate doesn't take shit like this very well. We had a longtime employee fired just about a year ago because she called another employee a "dyke", and that employee phoned corporate. They take stuff like this seriously. I'm still mad, I'm gonna pop an artery, geez grumpy

Julia, I just re-read your original post and I'm as pissed as you are. Get a lawyer and get that tape before it is *destroyed*. At the very least, write a letter to the President of the Company and cc the Corporate Counsel. Get this moving quickly don't wait until you cool down. This kind of borish behavior needs to be exposed and dealt with swiftly.

Ted

JULIAD, You know what, that security guard is an complete a....hole, he has a squash with thorns up his butt, that's all.

Just pressing his his luck to see how much power he has with his uniform on.

Cops are the same.

Tell him to e-mail me, ok

He has a good friend to talk with, good old gord harris(gordO)

Julia, just because your son is an employee, he should be treated no different then if it had been a customer that was falsely accused of the same thing. I concur with what everyone else is saying here. Talk with a lawyer, he has been falsely accused with no apology forthcoming. Things like this really tick me off. It reminds me of the time many years ago where I was the co-manager of a fast food restaurant. It was a franchise, and the owner lived up the street. One particular day, he was working and I had the day off. I had worked the night before. All of a sudden he's calling me demanding to know where the cash from the previous days sales were. I told him they were in the safe when I left. He made me come in, and stopped short of basically taking the money. Later, that day he called me back and said he had come in after I left the night before and took the cash home with him to count, so he wouldn't have to do it in the morning. His wife had called him to say the money was sitting at home on his desk, where he hasd left it. I got an apology, but all of a sudden it was a big joke at what he had done, he was trying to laugh it off after what he had put me through. So, definetly seek legal council. Your son deserves to be treated better then that.

Jeff

Nine years on the job doesn't include an employee benefit like a $.99 ice tea? Even if your son could not have been able to prove that he paid for the drink, no unofficial "I don't appreciate you taking something without paying for it, not matter how small.", or having to sign an official first warning regarding a violation of company policy?

I recently talked to a woman who was accused of stealing from her cash drawer at the big Mart and was fired. After they caught the real culprit, she was offered her job back, but lost all her seniority, which means her benefits were back to day one (vacation days, sick days, etc.) The corporation saves a lot of money on that one.

Could this have been an orchestrated event by jealous/envious employee with a grudge against him to see how he would react? Maybe they were hoping he would get physical, an automatic dismissal almost anywhere. I suspect there is more than meets the eye here. Your son needs to protect himself.

The lawyer thing is a slippery slope. He sends the message that he is no one to be f---ed with, but if they ever have an issue they can hang their hat on (too many sick days, late for work, dress code violation, insubordination, whatever) they may not pass on a chance to rid themselves of a “troublemaker".

Before consulting a lawyer, is there someone in the company chain of command (above the manager on duty) to which he could report the incident? Not necessarily a formal complaint. Kind of a “just thought you should know what happened to me†statement. The right words to the right person could solve everything.

HA, the iced tea was 40 cents :rolleyes:

No, we are all told when we're hired, you take so much as a company pen out the door with you, you are fired. No matter how long you've been there. And we don't disagree with the policy, stealing is stealing.

My son talked with his immediate supervisor last night (the guy wasn't there the night it happened) and told him he wants a face to face apology from the security guy, right out on the sales floor. The security guy is a store employee, but the thing is, they ship these people all over the east coast 2-3 days at a time to work *every* store they have, and they could live anywhere. This same guy might not work our store again for 6 months. But my son told them he doesn't care where he lives or how he gets there, he wants an apology.

As far as the store manager, I'm pretty sure he's sticking to his original plan, not seeking an attorney, but having the "screw you" attitude if they ask any favors of him. He plans to do what his job requires of him, nothing else.

He definitely deserves an apology from the security guy and the store manager. It's too bad all this happened in public - word spreads about things like this, and you'll be sure it will spread all over town (especially if it's a small town) that he was arrested for stealing. No one ever hears the 'oops, we were wrong about that one:. He at the very very least should send a letter off to Head Office, letting them know IN DETAIL ("at 7:18 pm I went on break. I bought an iced tea, worth 40 cents from till number 7..."). At the end he should point out that he was very upset about the treatment he received, and outline what he would like them to do about it (letter of apology or whatever). If, after a decent amount of time, if he hasn't heard back from HO, he should consult a lawyer. His rights have been stepped all over here, and his good reputation could have been severely damaged. What if he wants another job in the future and can't get one because people heard about this incident?

Just my 2 cents worth - I'm getting so much smarter about this whole 'work thing' as I get older and more experienced.

He should have left when the boss told him to go back to work, and said "No, you fired me. I'm going to see my attorney." Then, he should have sued for being fired and falsely accused. That would be a loss of reputation suit (defamation of character?), and I've heard that they get thrown out if one hasn't lost financially because of it, but losing one's job IS losing financially. I, too, think he deserves a BIG apology from that boss.

--Darlene

You know, I think your son should make waves - it's the last thing a store wants to deal with. It would cost them a helluva lot more than .40!!!

The really interesting thing here, Julia, is that your son demonstrated a quality that is lacking in the younger workforce (in my humble opinion) - company loyalty.

Everyone who supported you here gets that or they wouldn't feel so strongly about this betrayal of your son by the company he (and you) have been loyal to for so long. It is character that is taught by your parents and that's what smarts so badly about this.

annie

Julia,

I am a manager at a support facility for the largest private owned grocery store in the world. There are two things that bother me about your son not taking some action.

1-For others ssake the security guard and store manager must learn that this is no way to do things. They obviously have no personal problem with it or it wouldn't have happened in the first palce. Therefore it will certainly happen again to someone if it isn't addressed.

2- I have seen that "I ain't doing nothing for this store" attitude litterally ruin people. It festers and becomes their attitude even if they move on to somewhere else.

Encourage him to get his appologies in writting, and be adament about writting notes down at any meetings. Nothing scares upper management like some one who looks organized and focused, especially when managment has done wrong.

JIM

PS--this advice is guaranteed to be worht exactly the price paid for it.

ha, that's funny, but you forget the dozens of cameras in our store, I'd be caught on video and get fired, and they'd probably sue me for the cost to repair the refrigeration units and the spoiled food.

The only place I know of in the whole store with no cameras is the bathrooms... and lets not even discuss the things I could do to wreak hovoc in there, ok? haha

• 3 weeks later...

JuliaD, I'm ticked off now, you know the Television I bought, when I watch it, it flashes

green.

So now, I'm going to take it back to FUTURESHOP.

The television is a PRIMA.

I will get one another time.

Spring and summer is almost here, I have work to do on my second book, maybe The second Black and white picture of Eric, like I said.

At least when the DVD comes out of The Raspberries, I will have it.

So now, Juliad, let's have a slice of your fantastic cake and a coffee, ok

I sure can use one, or two, or three slices.