The Kings of Bubble Gum

Steveh

One group that is rarely discussed anymore is the Grassroots. They had a string of hits in the late 60's and early 70's - Midnight Confessions, Temptation Eyes, Sooner or Later, Wait a Million Years, etc. There was nothing brilliant about their talents - just hummable melodies, decent vocals, and happy lyrics. Any thoughts on the Grassroots? Any of the Raspberries/EC songs could be considered to be bubblegum (eg.,I Wanna Be With You, Cruisin' Music)?

Steveh

Steve I've always had a problem with that "bubblegum" label. In the 1960's and early 1970's, music that was considered to be lyrically and musically sub-par and geared to younger listeners fell under the "bubblegum" category. I can't see how either the Grass Roots or the 'berries could be classified as "bubblegum" although they certainly both filled the pages of the teen magazines.

Marvin

Hello Marvin, Remember the music groups, The Partridge Family, Bobby Sherman, t.v. shows, The Beverly Hillibillies, The Original Batman t.v.series, and of course, Teen Magazine, Not to

mention, Donny Osmond(The Osmonds), well these were all part of the bubble gum years, you bought collectors cards of the Partridge Family or

Bobby Sherman, This is where The Raspberries come in, think about it, the years of ?

Gord would you really group the 'berries in with the Partridge Family and Bobby Sherman? I certainly wouldn't. I don't know much about Bobby S's music (except for the "hits"), but some of the Partridge Family's stuff was really well put together, and of course, they featured the cream of the crop of L.A. session players.

Marvin

Speaking of Batman, I have the CD of "The Sensational Guitars Of Dan & Dale" featuring Sun Ra & a host of unknown musicians including Al Kooper among others. I had to get the CD at HMV in Windsor, ON because I couldn't get it anywhere else. The CD is in MONO sound. I had the album when my older brother bought the album when he was 11 years old back in 1967. Read the article at: www.allmusic.com & push albums at the dot & write down Dan & Dale & read the article. Matt

Hello, Marvin, Were not ,The Raspberries considered the cream of the crop?

I thought I read that somewhere?

They were the cream of the crop as of matter of fact.

Just think, buying collector cards of The Raspberries, you open the package up, you find a stick of bubblegum, like the others, The Partridge Family, and so on.

That's why they are called the bubble gum years.

I have the album, vinyle, Titled, "Raspberries Best, Featuring Eric Carmen, on that cover it has the title,opening, "Cream Of The Crop". so their you go, if you have that album, read it.

The album looks like a news paper cover.

It's by Capital of course.Songs from 1972 to 1976 are on it.

I'm right.See what happens when you do your research.

Marvin, here is a paragraph I will re-type on,The Cream Of The Crop", excuse me Eric, for re-typing this,ok

But, I would like to prove a point to my fellow

forum friend.

A songwriter was John Lennon and Paul McCartney,

that was what we listened to and liked.

The Beatles grew up on Chuck Berry and the Everly Brothers and sounded a lot like them, but, nobody made a big media thing about it,said

Eric Carmen.

The Raspberries admitted their roots stretching

back to Chuck Bery and The Ronnettes.

Then progressed into the Beatles, the Beach Boys,

The Who, Kinks, Small Faces, Searchers, Hollies,

Dave Clark 5, Byrds, and numerous others.

Later groups were, Free, and the Bee Gees.

The Raspberries realized that they could not break free from the "imitator" tags.

The group at this point became defensive.

The Raspberries and The Rock Press together could not come to grip.

Any ways Marvin, I could go on typing more on this story that was typed by Randall S. Davis, if I do that, I could get into trouble.

The proof is on this album back cover and front.

Hello, Marvin, I believe the group The Raspberries were the cream of the crop, that's it.

That's final.

Lol, ok, That's what it boils down to, really, right?

I could be wrong about the Bubble gum subject, I know I'm right about the cream of the crop discussion.

If you have the album, c,mon, it's right in front of you.

Marvin,

I agree with you - the Raspberries were not a bubblegum group, although a few of their songs had that type of beat. The Grassroots were one-dimensional - they did bubblegum very well, but that's it. Most of their songs sounded about the same, whereas the Raspberries were versatile - they did several styles well (especially the Starting Over LP). The Raspberries and later Eric by himself progressed musically whereas the Grassroots did not.

Steveh

Woah Gord you're gonna get Andy pretty upset by calling either the Strawbs or the Rollers "bubblegum"! Andy is the resident expert on both those bands. The Rollers sealed their fate at the outset of their career when they appeared in the tartan outfits. No one was willing to listen to their music without thinking of the image and thus, they received a lot of unwarranted criticism. Their later stuff was solid Pop music and definitely worthy of purchase.

Marvin

Hello, Marvin my friend, Ok, let's wait for another subject to talk about.

This turned out to be a good discussion.

I really don't know if Andy would get upset.

I liked the Bay City Rollers.

Were really getting off the topic,Raspberries, or Eric Carmen, I am any ways, I want to stay on track to get the music back.

Gord, here I am as Marvin predicted!!!....the Rollers were tagged as BGum fer sure, but they were certainly much more that Tiger Beat or their record company designed them to be in the eyes of the public.

their lead guitarist could double for Wally in style of playing, their rythme and bass playing kicks ass and their harmonies are way above what a lot of other bands could acheive....as for the Strawbs....I don't think you even know who they are!!??....They started out as a bluegrass/folk band (with Sandy Denny....look her up!!)and by 1971, they were a progressive rock band with members like Rick Wakeman and Blue Weaver....They are a combination between Genesis and King Crimson, with harmonies and vocals like Pink Floyd...Gord-man...get with it baby!!...

The Grassroots, aka Rob Grill, are still worth seeing. I saw them with my wife at a New Year's show in Council Bluffs, Iowa last year. Hell of a good show for such bad accoustics. By the way, I think Rob also wrote Don't Pull Your Love Out, a hit by Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds.

• 5 weeks later...

The Grass Roots, at least to me, seemed to be leaning slightly more "adult" side than a lot of other teen-oriented artists of the day.

ABC-Dunhill did have an interesting stable of artists at that period. Besides the Roots, they also had the Mamas and the Papas, 3 Dog Night and Steppenwolf.

Rob Grill did do a "solo" album called

"Uprooted". If I recall correctly, some Fleetwood

Mac members played on it, among other people.

The real kings of bubblegum were the New York production team of Kazanetz and Katz...they did the Lemon Pipers, 1910 Fruitgum Company, etc..and

later did a few disco artists, as well as the "faux Skynyrd", Ram Jam.