beginning of the end for ebay?

JuliaD

I used to sell on ebay a lot, now I rarely do. But they made a change effective today that makes me wonder if they just shot themselves in the foot.

Sellers are no longer able to leave neutral or negative feedback for buyers, only positive. And buyers can leave negatives and neutrals for sellers.

In reading their discussion boards, I can see this is already having repercussions.

I've had a few thousand transactions on ebay, 99% of them I was the seller. I never left a negative or neutral for anyone who didn't deserve it, and in all the years I sold, the number of neutrals and/or negatives I left were miniscule. But unfortunately, sometimes the truth is, the buyer sucked.

For those of you who do sell on ebay, will this new feedback policy change your selling habits?

I would never sell anything on ebay. I'd rather donate something to a friend in need, because the poverty level in my city is 20%, and as a disabled person, I know a few people in need. I don't like to see them go dumpster hopping!

The only other thing I'd do is have a yard sake.

And I won't buy anything over the net.

I used to sell on Ebay-usually when I was spring cleaning or trying (again) to get organized and get rid of some clutter. I was lucky and never had to leave negative feedback on any of the buyers and my feedback was 100% positive.

The new rules are a little "off-putting" so I don't know if I'll sell again.

Nowadays, I shop Ebay when I can't find what I'm looking for locally or on another website, but I only search the "buy it now" items because when I'm shopping I'm shopping-I'm not looking for a bidding war.

In yesterday's newspaper, Chicago Mayor Richard Daley is now asking for Ebay records to be audited and wants tax to be charged on entertainment items. (He is also after local ticket broker Stubhub) Apparently, when the Stones were in town last and charged the reasonable price of $1500 per ticket, Daley feels that the city should have gotten a $150 per ticket piece of the action on each ticket.

My question to that, is wasn't the tax paid on the initial purchase? That would mean he wants the city to double dip on tax, no?

I guess Chicago having the highest gas taxes isn't enough for him.

I've never sold anything off of eBay but I've bought tons of stuff over the years fairly regularly. I've only received negative feedback once and that was after I left negative feedback for the seller. He advertised an item as a DVD but when I received it, it was a cd-rom. I emailed and complained and he replied that I could burn the avi files to DVD myself. Obviously, I left him negative feedback and when I did, he turned around and left me negative feedback saying I was "difficult". I found most sellers never left me feedback until after I left them feedback in spite of the fact that, as the buyer, I completed my side of the transaction first. They were basically all waiting to see if I left feedback and whether it was positive or not. After my bad experience, I stopped leaving any feedback unless the seller left me feedback after I completed my part of the transaction. It's almost never. I imagine that my experience is a common one and I suspect that it has something to do with the change in policy.

blackhawkpat, that raises one of the age old questions... about sales taxes... and how come sales tax can be legally charged time after time after time when items are sold more than once... like cars, for example... For my money (no pun intended) they should be able to charge tax only once on any given item... (though in truth, for my money, I'm in favor of a flat tax... a sales tax that will abolish all other taxes... and make sure that nobody is able to not pay his or her fair share... be they prince or pauper... )

Guest Fresh

I have made about 150 transactions on eBay in the past 5 years,and the only negative feedback I received was from a buyer who kept bidding on an item that was listed as "certified check or money order" only.He tried using paypal 3 or 4 times even though I clearly stated I did not accept paypal.He was in France,and I also stated I would only ship to US and Canada.Somehow he was able to leave a negative feedback against me even though he broke every rule as a buyer.Overall,eBay has made it possible for me to acquire some items that I would almost certainly never have been able to locate by other means,Eric Carmen and Raspberries items included.

When it first started, I enojoyed buying hockey cards to complete collections, get some miscellaneous ones, etc. Now, they rarely sell "common" cards, as everybody wants to make big money. I would often get good deals for fifteen cents. (It cost more for the stamp than the card, which is probably why it all changed.)I used to go on there ten times a day, now, I go on there about ten times a year.

I've never sold anything on eBay but I've bought quite a few Oscar Levant cds, memorabilia items, musical items, other cds and dvds.

I've had all positive experiences except in two instances, when I paid for items and never received them. I've always left positive feedback and found sellers to be terrific. I was not able to leave negative feedback in the two instances because the sellers were removed and feedback for them was prevented.

I wonder why they instituted the new policy?

smile --Darlene

Guest Fresh

Oscar Levant was a phenomenal pianist,but a really strange dude!I've seen films of his performances and he was a master of the keyboard.However,in interviews he displayed an arrogance and twisted sense of humor.What was your opinion,Darlene?

Guest Fresh

Now take our hero,Eric Carmen.He is a phenomenal keyboard player,a master of melodies and lyrics,and a gifted singer.Oh yeah,he has great hair.He is also a real gentleman,and on the two occasions I had the good fortune to be in his company,he was warm and gracious.No wonder I never liked him!!!

In yesterday's newspaper, Chicago Mayor Richard Daley is now asking for Ebay records to be audited and wants tax to be charged on entertainment items. (He is also after local ticket broker Stubhub) Apparently, when the Stones were in town last and charged the reasonable price of $1500 per ticket, Daley feels that the city should have gotten a $150 per ticket piece of the action on each ticket.

My question to that, is wasn't the tax paid on the initial purchase? That would mean he wants the city to double dip on tax, no?

I guess Chicago having the highest gas taxes isn't enough for him.

Yep, that would constitute double taxation! The kind of thing that made tell the British to "get the fudge out!". Then again I'm told the Daly's are something of a "monarchy" in the Chicagoland area.

I have never sold anything, but I have bought some really cool things.

It is funny that lately the variety of artsy or unique things that I usually look for has dropped off significantly.

Now, I just Google what I am looking for and deal with the artist directly.

No middle man happy