Don't Let Anyone Make You 'Old'

Ecstasy

Six months ago I reached a make it-or-break it moment when I decided I wanted to know once and for all if it was possible for me to recover my health and begin crosstraining again. With the help of my husband, who suggested that I start with walking and recording my steps, I chose a virtual walk across America program called Webwalking USA.

My father-in-law laughed at me and told me how those days were gone, I was so old now, I was too sick and injured to do that kind of stuff anymore, etc. It shook me up badly but I decided that I had to take my best shot and that even if I wasn't who I used to be then at least I'd be the best I could be right now. At appx 2:00 pm this afternoon I walked across the finish line and completed the 505 mile walk and you know what? I'm the best I can be at this moment!

There are various walking programs but I had always said that if I finished I was going to walk back. Today I surprised myself when I decided I had already done that and wanted a new challenge. Well, I'm a fashion designer --- and I'm walking through Paris next!!! I'm also ready to re-start full water aerobics classes! My friends, give yourself a challenge and be the best you can be today, you're worth it. And don't let ANYONE make you OLD!!!

Oh, and to Eric --- I've thought a lot about what you said when you first arrived here about visualizing your goals which is one of the reasons I asked you about it recently. I decided to trust your instincts. I guess we can will some things to be possible. Thank you!

• Like 1

I'm with you Kathy lee...I'm turning 50 this year with a vengence...I've been really eating a healthy diet...working out, and I feel better now than I did when I was 25...I'm going to try and get on the Sheriffs Dept... I have always been interested in Law enforcement( my cousin was a Police Chief, and my Dad was a Fire Chief)...My boys think I'm nuts, but its something I've always wanted to do... raising a family put those dreams on hold...they are grown and on their own, and I have the full support of my Hubby...so now I'm chasing my dreams... laugh

As you all know I'm just a young guy who tries to get the most out of life in that I do what I enjoy doing. Well, maybe I'm not so young and as Kiwi reminded me after I sprained my achilles tendon last month competing with the teenagers, my body was less willing than my mind was.

I have to admit I'm now 60+ years old but that ain't going stop me from doing stuff I love or trying things I haven't done before. Yes, there are things I can't do now that I could when I was 20. I can no longer touch my toes but this weeks I have started bending over 30 times a day (Kiwi doesn't know this yet) to see if I can get to touch my toes again. insane

Ooops... she just looked over my shoulder and now she's rolling on the floor. frown:rolleyes:

Accepting certain physical restraints, age is in the mind. I know. I work with a person about 5 years younger than me and she is always talking about her "elderly" brain. It annoys me and then as I watch her walk around she walks as if she's in her 70's instead of her 50's. arrgh Yep... age... it's in the mind so get your mind thinking younger!!!

Muzza cool

As you all know I'm just a young guy who tries to get the most out of life in that I do what I enjoy doing. Well, maybe I'm not so young I can no longer touch my toes but this weeks I have started bending over 30 times a day (Kiwi doesn't know this yet) to see if I can get to touch my toes again.

Ooops... she just looked over my shoulder and now she's rolling on the floor.

insaneinsaneinsane

Can ya get as far as your knees yet!!!!

Wives are so supportive in 2009.. frown

But look at the bright side Muzz, at least Kiwi arrgh ...at least she didn't hit you on the head last night, and bury you in the back yard. That's something!

P.S. Keep us posted on the progress Muzz, and let us know when you can reach your shins, we'll do something special for you..

smart

Darlene, John's whole family is like this and always has been. They have this defeatist attitude of living with one foot in the grave waiting to die. My parents were not the type of people to be excited and make things happen either. John and I were always black sheep and did things differently.

What I really hoped this thread would do is motivate people and get them enthused about thinking outside of the box and taking on a challenge they weren't sure about. Life is very frightening and unsure in this country and it'll take strength and confidence to keep going. If you start inside with one little challenge, in time you'll develop the strength and confidence to take on the next challenge that will make you feel a little more capable and in control. We're facing so many problems right now. What one thing can we do today to make us feel that maybe some aspects of tomorrow will be a little bit brighter --- that lifts the spirit!

Kathy Lee:

Inspiration and motivation come in many different ways from many different people. May I say that you have motivated me with your progress noted above. Keep going forward and ALWAYS reward yourself from time to time!

I've been flat with my workouts the past two weeks but you've lit a much-needed fire under my backside.

Thanks,

John

BTW...dark chocolate and red wine (yummy reward!)

John, I've turned to you a lot recently as I tried to put the pieces together as to how to do this. Even when you didn't have an answer to how to handle a physical problem in regards to my workouts you still never closed a message without a kind word and encouragement from a friend. I've tried to teach my kids to do at least one act of kindness each day --- even if it's to compliment your waitress or cashier. I've told them that you never know when you might be the only kind thing they experience that day. You, my friend, have been that person for me on multiple occasions. Thanks for helping me make this happen. (I'll send you something from Paris! LOL)