NZ firm makes bio-diesel from sewage

Raspyrock

Now just let me think about this. If I eat more food, I'll create more raw material for these guys to use to make fuel. Yeah Baby. I'll can do my bit for energy independence. Wow... and I'm only a little guy too but I can make such a big contribution.

Seriously though. Experimentation on creating alternative fuels from waste products has been going for a while here and now with petrol getting more expensive the push to succeed will be even greater.

Muzza cool

I know at least one of our Democratic presidential candidates has talked about alternative fuel sources and I believe it was mentioned that in maybe Ohio that a conmpany or individual had created a vehicle that could actually get 150 miles to the gallon...anyone else hear anything that indicated that???

btw...Muzza...where are you and Kiwi in NZ??? Do you get antarctic temps there or have either of you ever considered an adventure there...is that something that's do-able??? Just curious smile

btw...Muzza...where are you and Kiwi in NZ??? Do you get antarctic temps there or have either of you ever considered an adventure there...is that something that's do-able??? Just curious smile

Margaux.. we are in the North Island about 100 miles North of Wellington our capital city. Our town, Feilding, has a population of around 14,500 and is in a rural area; lots of sheep and cows.

Here's a link to Feilding...

http://www.feilding.co.nz/

We have lows in the winter of about 30f at night in Winter and highs of 88f in the summer. Temp here at the moment at 10.30 am Saturday is 82f.

Trips to Antartica are possible but all sorts of permissions are required and it is VERY expensive.

We have a lot of Adventure sports/activities around the country with a lot of skiing in the South Is in the winter and lots of boating, pleasure craft and yachting, in the summer. There are walking/tramping tracks all over the country and many people from the northern hemisphere come here during their winter.

Muzza cool

I believe utilizing human waste is a viable proposition. Also, the energy generated from the incineration of carbon-based organics CAN be used to heat homes and generate energy for household use, but the politicos are hesitant to go that route.

It seems they'd rather have Toronto truck garbage to Michigan, fine other cities for going over a one-bag-per-household limit and dismiss any plausible solutions to our landfill and pollution concerns.

I don't need bubble wrap on my mascara, spoons, spatulas or anything else. It's about time we told the companies so by maybe mailing them the excess wrap. I'd be willing to spend a little money to be a s*** disturber in the name of my Earth just for a few weeks.

When I have those unwanted flyers in the mail, I DO want to put them into the mailbox marked "Return To Sender."

I'm supposed to recycle things I didn't ask for, and the landlords around here don't provice recycling bins if you're in a small building. No way do I wish to pay for one that may blow away during the next storm, and have to fetch it before the hoodlums get a hold of it!

BTW, I occasionally correspond with Australians and NEw Zealanders, and your weather is just our in reverse time! Antarctica my butt! haha

BTW, what's an igloo, anyway? Most of our Inuit/Eskimos live in housing now!

Oh and I got it wrong. It is now 92f outside. No wonder I've decided to come inside for a while.

The company doing the sewage waste to bio-diesel says it will be producing productively by this April. It will be interesting to see what that does to the price of diesel here and also how they retail it. spin

Muzza cool

PM....you will not believe what I received in the mail the other day...here in NEVADA... hahahahahaha

I got a box...I'd guess about 5x5 inch...and about an inch deep. The box slips inside a sleeve...so you remove the box from the sleeve and open it...and inside the box is a faux box of camel cigarettes...you open the cigarette box and inside of that is a coupon for I think was maybe a dollar off of three packs...but all of this for a coupon at a time when we're suppose to be ecologically and conservation minded??

I kept it..I didn't throw it away..I'm debating what I want to do with it...I'd be curious to know how many millions of those boxes "Camel" sent out...I don't smoke btw so I have no idea how I got on their list.

Any suggestions on an orginazition that might be interested in this sort of waste???

Does your area have a blue box recycling program to throw paper into every garbage day? That's what I'd do with them.

Oh get this: We're recycling so much paper up here there's more newsprint and reusable cardboard than packagers know what to do with! The cost of the packaged goods doesn't go down, either. For over thirty years we've been told this is a good thing for us. Perhaps the environment, but not the average purchaser.

Both our countries should start lobbying for tax credits for recycling all that paper. Warehouses of recycled cardboard just waiting to be used, and cheaper and more ecologically sane than cutting those trees down.

Margaux - that's funny! A couple of years ago I downloaded Motorola Phone Tools and ordered a backup CD in case I ever needed it. About three weeks later, I received a 9"x12"x16" box delivered to my doorstep by UPS. Inside was an 8.5"x11" piece of paper with instructions how to install and use the program - no CD. The piece of paper was carefully protected with four big plastic bubbles. I e-mailed customer service to find out when I would receive the CD and why they used a box to UPS a piece of paper that could have been mailed in an envelope with a stamp. The reply? They get a discount from UPS! crazy Better than 40-cents????? They probably spent at least $8 after discount to UPS it to Alaska. What a thoughtful, sensible company! insane I wonder how much of inflation results from lack of common sense decisions.

Now just let me think about this. If I eat more food, I'll create more raw material for these guys to use to make fuel. Yeah Baby. I'll can do my bit for energy independence. Wow... and I'm only a little guy too but I can make such a big contribution.

Seriously though. Experimentation on creating alternative fuels from waste products has been going for a while here and now with petrol getting more expensive the push to succeed will be even greater.

Muzza cool

Yep, Muzza -- "Sh#ttin' & gettin" takes on a whole new meaning! spin

Meanwhile, all that petroleum is being made into... Saran Wrap and that plastic that goes over the Irish Spring wrap.

Is this a logical world or what? Just sterlize the sewage in this world and we could have a viable soure of soil ameliorator? When my father fought in WW2, s*** was knee-deep in the farm fields of Holland nourishing the tulips and other crops.

Seems we've missed something...