What are the saddest songs for you?

Carmen Smalley

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Andy. That song takes on a completely different meaning for me now.

Here are some more sad songs:

1. Baby As You Turn Away - Bee Gees

2. Baby Come Back - Player

3. Candle In the Wind - Elton John

4. Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac

5. I Started A Joke - Bee Gees

6. I Wish It Would Rain - Temptations

7. I'd Love You to Want Me - Lobo

8. Lonely Boy - Andrew Gold

9. Lyin' Eyes - the Eagles

10. Mandy - Barry Manilow

11. My Little Town - Simon & Garfunkel

12. Nights Are Forever (Without You) - England Dan & John Ford Coley

13. Overnight Sensation - Raspberries

14. She's Gone - Hall & Oates

15. Superstar - Carpenters

16. The Living Years - Mike & the Mechanics

17. The Pretender - Jackson Browne

18. You Won't Dance With Me - April Wine

19. You're Only Lonely - J D Souther

How about happy songs everybody??

Marvin

How about "Sad to Belong" by England Dan/J.F.Coley?

"When I wake up in the night,

And I look beside me, hoping you will be there.

But instead I find someone,

Who believed in me when I said I'd always care.

Oh, It's sad to belong to someone else,

When the right one comes along..." crying

And "Stay Alone" from Barry Gibb's solo 1984 CD.

"Suddenly after the southern rain,

she rode out of my life on the midnight train,

and I fell to the ground,

and the world became the last place I should be."

crying

The song "Second Avenue" was also done by another Tim, the late Tim Rose from "The Musician" (1975). Singer Tim Moore song "Fool Like You" went to # 93 (Hot 100) back in April of 1973 on Dunhill/ABC. The song "Second Avenue" went to # 58 (Hot 100) & # 41 (AC Charts) back in September of 1974. The song was first released on 'a small record company'. The song "Charmer" went to # 91 (Hot 100) back in February of 1975. Finally, the song "In The Middle" went to # 75 (Hot 100) back in July of 1977 all on Asylum. On the Billboard Top 200 Album Charts, Tim Moore went to # 119 back in November of 1974 & "Behind The Eyes" went to # 181 back in August of 1975. I am not sure but the record label Edsel released the Tim Moore on CD from 1974 but also Collectables on the web: www.oldies.com might have reissued the Tim Moore CD plus "Behind The Eyes" (2 albums on 1 CD) this week for the first time. Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Mam, I was away at the doctors with my computer

for eight weeks, like the Beatles song.

My computer caught a virus when I opend up a e-mail or sent one.

It sure is great to be back on here.

I missed everyone.

Oh! Jetlin, guess what!

I mentioned of HenryGross- Shannon way back on this message board, whether the song was about his dog drowning in the ocean, or his wife, or daughter/

I don't really know.

• 3 months later...

Nearly anything by Badfinger is laced with sadness. The slide guitar on Day After Day haunts me, along with the background vocals and their hushed "ha" sound. Baby Blue is also sad natured. Of course, "Without You" has been mentioned.

I always thought that "Father To Son" by Queen (Queen II, Side Black) was a very sad song. Brian wrote: "Funny, you don't hear a single word I say. But my letter to you will stay by your side, thorough the years 'till the lonliness is gone." That section is accompanied by one of his best guitar orchestrations ever. Its a good example of what my publisher used to call "the chill factor."

One of my favorite songs is "We Just Disagree." Even though the sound is bright, the message is pretty sad.

Queen II is a most excellent LP! My old high school band actually did a cover of "Father To Son." Our setlists were a bit eclectic. I'm not sure anyone knew what in the heck we were playing, but we LOVED it!

Bernie

Bernie, I played that song in my HS band too. I can still pull off vocal impersonations of both Brian and Freddie (comes in handy when doing "Who Wants To Live Forever" at karoake, lol). We gotta hang out when I come back to visit the States, man. It would be a world of fun to jam on those tunes.

Recently, I went into a music store near my home and hooked up one of the new Vox amps. I picked up a guitar and tore through "Ogre Battle" and the Taiwanese kids thought they just heard God play. lol What a great record. Mike Stone engineered that one on 16 tracks. Somewhere, I have unfinshed work mixes of that record - wow. Mike Stone also engineered my friend's band, New England.

On the topic of eclectic, my HS band also did a cover of "Cherry Blossom Clinic" by The Move. That was a fun tune to play!

Michael,

My PodXT has a neat little "Brian May" setting that does a pretty good job of mimicking his guitar tone. Brian was one of my heroes growing up. I must have seen Queen 15 times starting with their first live show in the States opening up for Mott The Hoople on Broadway. We *do* need to get together.

Bernie

Michael,

My PodXT has a neat little "Brian May" setting that does a pretty good job of mimicking his guitar tone. Brian was one of my heroes growing up. I must have seen Queen 15 times starting with their first live show in the States opening up for Mott The Hoople on Broadway. We *do* need to get together.

Bernie

Bernie, you know, I never got to see them because I was in a working band. I missed many movies during that time also. You know how it is when you are on the road. I have been considering acquring one of the new Vox Brian May amps. You would love my 1958 Epiphone. It has a similar tone to one of the settings on Brian's Red Special. Do you have any audio files of you playing Brian May sounds on the Pod? That would be something I would love to hear!

You may not know that the real secret of getting that sound is the .008 strings. Once I broke a D string on a gig. I rarely ever break strings because I use .010 gauge. Anyway, for some reason I had no spare D string, so I had to put a G string on instead and tune it down to D. Needless to say it was floppy as hell and allowed some pretty amazing vibrato excursions. I was using an SG at the time. After the show some dude asked me how I got that Brian May sound. lol "By accident" was the answer. I found out years later that Brian plays skinny strings and that is how he gets that amazing overkill vibrato. A good example is the solo on "Killer Queen" where he bends the heck out of the strings just playing single notes with normal vibrato. If you've never tried it, restring with .008 and then set the Pod to BM and wail! lol Be sure and press "record" when you do because I want to hear!

I have a new unrecorded tune I would like you to hear.